• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
evo_works

Performance Differnce Between 1.6 And 1.9?

Baz
Dinner and a movie then back to yours for coffee?

You're not supposed to expect or mention the 'coffee' until it's offered. ;)

:wub:

Edited by Baz

Baz
Apart from here and maybe pistonheads wheres the best place to find a decent gti?

Dan

Here!

AJA_GTi
Here!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1 Here first, if you want a goodun with traceability

evo_works

Here it is then. Although they dont seem to come up very often. Patience(not my strongest point) id the key.

Dan

Paulmac19
Here it is then. Although they dont seem to come up very often. Patience(not my strongest point) id the key.

Dan

Did you not look at Dazzas one yet

GLPoomobile
1.9's are for real men, 1.6's are for people that wear blouse shirts :wub:

Paulmac19

Differences are really about 2 insurance groups :wub:

Apart from the rear quarter badges.

davey205

I have never driven a 1.9 but the 1.6 will give you all the power you could ask for normal road driving.

bales
I have never driven a 1.9 but the 1.6 will give you all the power you could ask for normal road driving.

I think its probably fair to say at this point that neither of them are particularly quick by modern standards, most diesel saloons/hatches will show up one in a straight line - however I know it is a bit of a cliche but it really is the corners where they are fun to drive - again the aren't as quick as modern cars but they are just so much more fun.

My Civic would murder a 205 on cornering speeds but its nowhere near as much fun!

If it were me if you can afford the insurance I would have a mi or gti-6 as it adds that missing element of outright speed!

Cameron

Having driven both, I can safely say the 1.9 is clearly better if you get a good one.

mikeygulley
Having driven both, I can safely say the 1.9 is clearly better if you get a good one.

I must have had a bad egg when i got my 1.9 and got very frustrated with it! I ended up swapping the motor for a 1.6 I had kicking around out of my old car. I love it now :wub:

lfallgti

I agree, although in the corners you couldn't tell. Unless you were admiring your half leather that the 1.6's don't have ;)

After having three 1.6's i don't see how anyone can say they are equal performance wise, a good 1.9 won't piss all over a 1.6 but it is noticeably quicker. Yeah the 1.6 likes to rev, but do you really want to have to thrash it everywhere. As said before i had 3 1.6's since 2002 and only kept buying them as they were cheaper and i was reliably informed that the difference is negligible. I only drove and bought a 1.9 for the first time last year. I wouldn't go back to 1.6. IMO if you have to ask for the difference then get a 1.9 as you'll always have a ' what if ' feeling. And be pissed off when a 1.9 passes you. :wub:

At the end of the day it's your call but do try and get a drive in both versions then you can make your own mind up. Also it is worth shopping around as there are lots of knackered engines out there.

davey205

Its pretty evenly matched to a 1.9 TDI for example Volkswagon Golf or 2000 Ibiza etc.

welshpug

till you find a bend and they fall off the road....

evo_works

Lol at the above comment

dan

timmsy19

Ive driven the 1.6, 1.9 and owned an Mi,

I'd also agree that the 1.6 likes to rev alot more than the 1.9 but the 1.9 is still marginly quicker! not by much though.

Just try and find one with a decent shell, decent history if possible and your normally onto a winner!

If you ever change your mind about getting an Mi16 or Gti6 engined 205 then i'd highly recommend it.

IMO the Mi16 feels revvy like the 1.6 but the GTi6 feels like the 1.9 (both having more power though)

Richie

I don't trust 1.6 drivers. One tried to mount me at pugfest, all they want to do is get with men and they think of nothing else. So yeah get a 1.9.

Rob Thomson
but do you really want to have to thrash it everywhere?

Yes, that's the whole point.

My Mondeo is much quicker than my 205, both in a straight line and around the corners. It's 'performance' is effortless, and I never cease to be amazed just how much speed it can carry on twisty and bumpy B-roads that would have fire the 205 backwards into a ditch at half the speed. But having said all of that, it's not fun, it's just surprisingly capable for a barge.

The 205's different, its magic to me is that the harder you try as a driver, the more the car delivers. It just begs to be thrashed, it loves to be worked hard. I've always prefered how the 1.6 responds to being driven hard, it may be slower than a 1.9 but I've always found it more rewarding to drive quickly.

evo_works

Im basically after a car thats fun, quick, handles well etc and isnt a fortune to maintain. I suppose with the 205 being older it maybe the case it costing me more than say a 306 gti or rallye. Obviously they have there problems aswell. Ive looked at a mix of cars over the past few weeks including the 106 s2 rallye, 106 gti, 306gti/rallye, 205 obviously and the other end of the market being the uk dc2. But the honda being alot more money. Is it worth it? aparantly pound for pound, no. Ive got the money to spend which ive saved and dont want to waste it hasetily.

Dan

Edited by evo_works

bales
Im basically after a car thats fun, quick, handles well etc and isnt a fortune to maintain. I suppose with the 205 being older it maybe the case it costing me more than say a 306 gti or rallye. Obviously they have there problems aswell. Ive looked at a mix of cars over the past few weeks including the 106 s2 rallye, 106 gti, 306gti/rallye, 205 obviously and the other end of the market being the uk dc2. But the honda being alot more money. Is it worth it? aparantly pound for pound, no. Ive got the money to spend which ive saved and dont want to waste it hasetily.

Dan

When you say pound for pound what do you mean? as in is a £5k DC2 £3k better than a £2k 205 gti....I don't think you can compare cars in that way.

A DC2 is completely different to a 205, I wouldn't say you could compare them very easily, the DC2 is a lot rawer and is in a different league in terms of outright pace and handling.

Why not a 306 gti-6? Probably as cheap if not cheaper than a good 205, quicker, newer and some might even say handle better.... :huh:

evo_works

The other option would be to have saved up the extra money and get the dc2. Im just thinking value for money really

Dan

danpug

Value for money surely is a 16v 205?

evo_works

Yeah but insurance.

Dan

danpug

Insurance will be pretty much the same as an 8v, sometimes cheaper.

Para

It's worth to add that 1.6 in CTI has more power then 1.9 CTI