• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
evo_works

Performance Differnce Between 1.6 And 1.9?

evo_works

Hi guys another question. Ive been looking for a 1.9 gti but im wondering is there much difference between the 1.6 and 1.9?

Dan

zebedy101

1.9 has more torque, but is a bit lazy revving. 1.6 is rev hungry and slightly slower, a few prefer it because of it's revvy nature and say it's more fun.

Also the 1.9's rarely made 130bhp from the factory.

Edited by zebedy101

Baz

Decent 1.6's are actually quicker to a point than the average 1.9's in my experience, and easier to find.

Edited by Baz

evo_works

Thats interesting. And your right they do seem easier to find, although i havent yet. should i expect to pay similar money for the 1.6 for the equivelant 1.9?

Dan

james_pug

The 1.9's are basicaly just a higher trim level, coming with electric windows,half leather, central locking, 15" wheels,rear disc's, etc as standard.

SurGie

1.9's are for real men, 1.6's are for people that wear blouse shirts :D

Cameron

1.9 has more power*, ergo it will be faster.

*When new.**

**Reportedly.

evo_works

So value for money maybe the 1.6?

Dan

large

Your best bet is to find a couple of members near you and see if they will let you have a drive that way you can make your own mind up.

The 1.6 engine seams to have lasted better as regards to power output but if you find a good 1.9 it will be faster.

You could also mix it up a bit 1.9 engine on a 1.6 box. Or have you thought about a Mi or GTi6 converted car

Blish10

I loved my 1.6!!

Once my 1.9 is on the road, i'll let you know :D

Daviewonder

Just look around and get the best example GTI that you can afford. I'm sure you will have loads of fun in it no matter what engine size or how many valves it has. :D

evo_works

im after a standard one, well to begin with lol. If anyones from the northwest(chester way) and fanices taking me out i will really gratefull. But i guess your right get the nicest example i can get for the money.

Dan

Miles

You can find good and bad 1.6 or 1.9's so try a few to see really, I've known good 1.6 to be quicker than the 1.9's and vise versa.

pugdamo

Iv got a 1.6 205 GTI and a 309 GTI and my 205 is much more fun and feels much quicker up to around 60mph.

IMO the 1.6 is well under rated by many people

Edited by pugdamo

AJA_GTi
im after a standard one, well to begin with lol. If anyones from the northwest(chester way) and fanices taking me out i will really gratefull. But i guess your right get the nicest example i can get for the money.

Dan

Hi mate - I have a 1600 complete boggo that I am restoring (only cosmetic odds and ends left to make 99% perfect) and it has done less than 70k and had lots of mechanical parts replaced in the last 12 months thanks to a few members on here. Plus I have had carpets and seats up and it has zero rust on the shell. It's been my daily for about 5 months and never missed a beat

i've only driven an average 1900 before and mine revvs like a bike wich takes a bit of getting used too. They are very eager

It really does jerk you back through every gear and is sweet as a nut. I recon its getting on for as good as a standard 1600 can be

If you want me to take you for a spin give me a shout i'd be more than happy to show it off! I have mates in Chester so wouldnt be a problem but i live at Nantwich if you can make it there.

Failing that get yourself to Barony park on Sunday for the show this weekend and i'll let you drive it if you are coverd :D

Edited by AJA_GTi

evo_works

That would be superb mate. I wouldnt even mind coming to Nantwhich as my sister lives there. You wouldnt be free tomo night would you?

Dan

Lankylad78

As AJA says, get to the festival this weekend. I have a standard 1.9 that you can try. Not quite as nice as Andy's though!

evo_works

Workong mate. In the car trade so dont get much free time. Dont use that against me though, being in the car trade i mean lol

Dan

Lankylad78

No worries. I'm only 10 minutes (5 if you're in a 1.9 :D) from Andy. Offer is there if you want to try one.

Daviewonder
If anyones from the northwest(chester way) and fanices taking me out i will really gratefull.

Dinner and a movie then back to yours for coffee?

AJA_GTi
Dinner and a movie then back to yours for coffee?

Ooohh Cheeky! :wub:

evo_works

its a date lol

Dan.

evo_works

Apart from here and maybe pistonheads wheres the best place to find a decent gti?

Dan

AJA_GTi
That would be superb mate. I wouldnt even mind coming to Nantwhich as my sister lives there. You wouldnt be free tomo night would you?

Dan

thats fine mate i'll pm you now

evo_works

Okay mate cheers.

Dan