• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
evo_works

Performance Differnce Between 1.6 And 1.9?

Anthony
Im basically after a car thats fun, quick, handles well etc and isnt a fortune to maintain.

Clio 172? A modern take on an old-school hot hatch, and they're certainly pretty quick and handle well enough. Becoming very cheap now too. Buy a good one and it should prove fairly reliable and not cost much to run, although be choosey as there's quite a few tired lemons out there which will likely prove to be a moneypit.

Couple of alternatives possibly worth considering - Ford Puma 1.7 or a Mk1 Mazda MX-5? Neither are particularly quick by todays standards (similar to a 205 GTi) but both are great fun, cheap to run, and you'll get a good example of either for sub £1500 (or sub £1000 if you look around).

In terms of value for money, an early Citroen Xsara VTS or a Nissan Almera GTi take some beating for a few hundred quid and are suprisingly capable, although neither excels in the "fun" stakes.

DaveW

If your worried about insurance then dont get a hot hatch.

evo_works

im not worried about insurance otherwise i wouldnt be looking at any of the cars i mentioned. Im just assuming a modified 205 would be quite expensive to insure?

Dan

bales

My pretty heavily modified 205 turbo was very cheap to insure, much cheaper than my standard CTR.

Joehow

Having owned a s1 and s2 rallye, sandy brown built xsi ITB's sprint car, 306 gti 6 and 1.9. I would conclude that......

The 306 has the best induction noise of a 4 cylinder hatch I have driven they are lovely things but almost feel like a GT car compared to the others on my above list though 3rd gear in them is a thing of gods.

The rallyes ( both standard bar mani / exhaust) are great cars to get in and drive fast. The s2 rallye is easier as it is more torquey so doesnt need working as hard as the s1's 1.3. However the s1 1.3 is so rewarding when you get it right and it dances between the tyre contact patches with such ease you wonder wether you could ever have more fun in a little pug hot hatch......

Then you drive a 205 gti, i have driven both 1.6 and 1.9 lumps, the 1.6 is very good laugh but not different enough from a 106 rallye in terms of driving experience to warrent the purchase for me.

The 1.9 i find baring in mind i have headwork and a few other mods is happily left in 3rd or 4th along a give and take b road with no need to thrash franticly at the gears like in its little brothers. Its a different type of fun with a chassis that when pushed on roads where its about poise not power WILL keep with modern machinery.

My sandy brown xsi was in a different league in terms of response to the above but the build cost far outways the actual fun advantages and 12mpg sucks....damn that quaife gear kit.

So in conclusion any fun peugeot without PAS is great in their own way.... (get a 1.9) :huh:

Edited by Joehow

evo_works

Thanks for that. The responses ive had although a liitle varied makes joining the forum a good move. Think the best idea is go and drive a couple although for some reason im really busy in work so dont get much time. Plus i wouldnt want to waste peoples time by just driving their cars. Although i have had offers to have a nosey at a couple of cars on here which i appreciate.

Dan

24seven

You can't beat 16v for smilepower. As for the 8v's I found the 1.6 that my 205 originally had in it was a fun engine, but too slow, so I changed it for an Mi16. The 1.9 in my 309 definitely makes for a quicker car than the 1.6 in the 205 did, but it's such a boring engine to drive, which I suppose is just as much down to the gearbox than anything. An Mi16 on a 1.6 box is VERY fun to drive, but a lot of people don't like the high rpm motorway cruising (just under 4000rpm @ 70mph) though I didn't mind at all.

Another thing is don't be put of by the lack/inclusion of PAS. Before driving an old PAS pug I was worried that there'd be too little feedback in the steering and it would kill the feel of the car, but actually I was pleasantly surprised to find that the assistance is just enough to make it feel as weighty and responsive as a non PAS car, but with a much quicker rack.

evo_works

Yeah i was unsure on wether to get it without pas, but after driving one no issues there. Takes me back to being 17 and having a 1.0 white fiesta. Which 13 years ago was a great car.

Dan

Daviewonder
1.6's are for people that wear blouse shirts :(

Maybe, maybe not.

19toosmallSmallCustom.jpg

B)

danpug

Gotta love the 1.9 vs 1.6 debates!!

large
Maybe, maybe not.

19toosmallSmallCustom.jpg

B)