• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jase 31t

Your 205 Weight

wracing

Not been funny but the weigh bridge is calibrated 6 monthly to satisfy trading standards. Not much left of the standard car due modifications with the plasma cutter :)

Most things now alloy, no packed baffles on the exaust, what do you want the ticket?? :P

Soon to be corner weighted for rally regs.

James

Baz

I'll send over my spade, you can borrow it.

Spiky

lol

if it's 640, the bloody well done, but it's just so light it's mad :)

wracing

lol

Baz

Exactly.

Sorry James, but you're making a mockery of people who have genuinely spent thousands of pounds trying to build out & out Race cars.

Mine was painstaking thought about and had money literally poured into it, no heater, carbon and fibreglass panels, poly windows, cut out inner skins, dry-cell battery, lightweight 4-pots, hubs, wishbones, minimalised loom, ali brackets everywhere instead of steel inc. bumper mounts etc. -even the poxy horn was a ridiculously light motorcycle one, and this was all with an 8v on bodies. Pretty well thought out and in depth build and if anything Dan's (Dj_mini) is a little more-so, you really couldn't go to much more of an extent to lose weight, probably a little, but not without seriously affecting structural rigidity and strength.

So if you're saying yours is lighter than mine (was) at 765kg, with a Dimma kit, iron block engine etc, then you're unfortunately wrong, or at least heavily misguided, and i don't care what you have to say, it's simply not true.

And no, thought i should add, i didn't build mine, so i'm not biased. :)

Edited by Baz

cagedbanana
Exactly.

Sorry James, but you're making a mockery of people who have genuinely spent thousands of pounds trying to build out & out Race cars.

Mine was painstaking thought about and had money literally poured into it, no heater, carbon and fibreglass panels, poly windows, cut out inner skins, dry-cell battery, lightweight 4-pots, hubs, wishbones, minimalised loom, ali brackets everywhere instead of steel inc. bumper mounts etc. -even the poxy horn was a ridiculously light motorcycle one, and this was all with an 8v on bodies. Pretty well thought out and in depth build and if anything Dan's (Dj_mini) is a little more-so, you really couldn't go to much more of an extent to lose weight, probably a little, but not without seriously affecting structural rigidity and strength.

So if you're saying yours is lighter than mine (was) at 765kg, with a Dimma kit, iron block engine etc, then you're unfortunately wrong, or at least heavily misguided, and i don't care what you have to say, it's simply not true.

And no, thought i should add, i didn't build mine, so i'm not biased. :)

I still maintain, 640 was the Reading that came up. I hadn't a clue what it would, and should weigh?

Honestly Baz, wouldn't try to make a mockery etc of anyone

as soon as a can I will go an rewieigh

clear all this mess up

cheers

chris

welshpug

DJ_mini's car iirc has been corner weighted, so his figures will be accurate :)

Spiky

no mess to clear up dude, we just jealous..lol

i know DJ mini's was corner weighed :)

i just cant work out where he has save 80kgs over me...lol

unless the two weigh bridges near are both wrong :P

welshpug

time to have another read of his project thread :)

Baz

As was mine when Sean had it, at 735kg's (not 765!).

Just for another example, my red Ph1 8v engined car still has all interior bar carpet/underlay etc to meet class reg's, a SD 6pt cage and was corner weighted at around 890kg's at SRD.

cagedbanana

I don't have a project thread currently

will when I actually get me teeth in to her properly

been toying with blow, as the s16 is more than capeable.

it's on speedlines, but only the 15" gti items nothing special. It litearally has nothing, apart from a steering wheel, dash, battery and seat. But it's not like I've gone hole sawing everywhere... Yet, that was next :)

I'm now seriously need to go an find another bridge just to clarify hopefully do it sataday

but if it's correct, I really have no advice on what's been done

wracing

Well I must be bulls*itting then or cant read :) , if your coming to Marham ill show you the bridge ticket. +-20kg due to the fact the bridge is designed for 44ton trucks.

Weight bridges aside I know what I've fitted to my car. Chassis with cage all fibreglass front subframe, rack, brakes, hubs and shocks without bonnet or front bumper could easily be lifted off 2 stacked pallets on to axle stands by my self and a friend, you've met me I'm no body builder!

James

AdamP

I just couldn't see how it would be possible to make a car significantly lighter than my 205 (as Baz says about his). GRP bonnet, tail and wings may save you another 20, but past that you're really looking at semi-spaceframing! Especially with an iron block engine. The interior of my 205 is a lightweight bucket seat (or may have been 2 at the time), steering wheel, clocks, battery and part of the dash. The wheels weigh less than 10kgs each with tyres.... thats a saving of 5kgs at the very least per corner over CagedBanana's car, plus the TU3S engine which i believe saves another 20-25kgs.

Maybe it was the weighbridge we used (local refuse site) that was wrong and my 205 is actually much lighter than I thought! :)

wracing

Personally I think that is more likely to be true, we have a local unamed scrap dealer with an incoming and outgoing bridge, there a 300kg difference between the two!!

James

Tom Fenton
I just couldn't see how it would be possible to make a car significantly lighter than my 205

There are always ways to make a car lighter. It is just that the gains get smaller and smaller.

How about as some examples,

Titanium tubular driveshafts (stiffer than the originals and yet 40% lighter)

Titanium front hubs.

Junk the rear beam and fit some fabricated tubular trailing arms. Massive saving to be had there.

Alloy rear hubs.

Motorbike rear brake calipers.

These are just a few examples. But they all add up.

Jrod
There are always ways to make a car lighter. It is just that the gains get smaller and smaller.

Don't forget, more weight to be saved if you don't fit a pot box. ;)

AdamP

How about as some examples,

Titanium tubular driveshafts (stiffer than the originals and yet 40% lighter)

Titanium front hubs.

Junk the rear beam and fit some fabricated tubular trailing arms. Massive saving to be had there.

Alloy rear hubs.

Motorbike rear brake calipers.

These are just a few examples. But they all add up.

I do realise there ARE ways, but even those listed about (bar the beam) only save grams here and there. I very much doubt you could realistically shave another 80-100kgs off my 205 without spending a 5 figure sum and making the car completely ineligible for any competition.

EdCherry
DJ_mini's car iirc has been corner weighted, so his figures will be accurate :)

Unless of course the corner weights are out of calibration as most are... ;)

Batfink
I do realise there ARE ways, but even those listed about (bar the beam) only save grams here and there. I very much doubt you could realistically shave another 80-100kgs off my 205 without spending a 5 figure sum and making the car completely ineligible for any competition.

I'd say you would save 25kg without a rear beam alone

AdamP

You'd still struggle to save the other 75kgs!

Batfink

maybe. I have a target weight for my car of 685kg which is the minimum for the class.