• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16x4/t16 Track Car

felix2566

Love the project. Have just read the whole thing from sart to finish. Like the dedication and attention to deatial.

One question, where or what is the gold part of the inlet manifold from?

AlexN

Very fat porject :P

do you know if Peter Taylor does extension plate for the oil pick-up for the 2.0 mi16?

and can i ask how much yours cost you? ;)

I think that the T16 and 2.0 mi16 oil pumps are the same. I might actually have a full wet sump kit that would fit your engine for sale soon! PM if you are interested.

Great project and nice solution with evo box in a unique shell.....

Maybe a small remark; is the manifold correct? Shouldn't you join cylinder 1&4 and cylinder 2&3 first iso 1&3 and 2&4, due to the firing order?

Yeah I did notice that too, James (Wracing) who built it assures me it will work OK. I think if you have a twin scroll turbo with a true divided entry inlet then yes I would agree with you. Not sure about a single entry turbo and how the manifold design affects the efficiency.

Are you using a bias pedal box? Otherwise I think you're going to really struggle with such a difference in front-rear brake size.

Yeah I have a full bias box, you can just about see it installed in one of the early photos in the thread! I will size the master cylinders accordingly to get an acceptable balance. At some point in the future when I have some money I will probably upgrade the rear brakes.

Cameron

Aha yep I see it! :D

4295594508_b4eca9602e_z.jpg

I do love your steering column btw. ^_^

Josh_Quant

im interested mate but cant PM you as i think your inbox is full

cheers josh

AlexN

im interested mate but cant PM you as i think your inbox is full

cheers josh

I don't seem to be able to PM you either! I have deleted some messages so I definitely don't have a full inbox now.

Josh_Quant

i think it might be different looking at the pictures?

try now mate.

AlexN

i think it might be different looking at the pictures?

try now mate.

It's still saying I can't PM you! I definitely have room in my inbox now (88% full!) so you could try sending me a message with an email address!

AlexN

One question, where or what is the gold part of the inlet manifold from?

Another guy on here had it custom made, I bought it off him a year or so ago. I need to get the original manifold part shortened to fit the engine bay, shouldn't be too difficult but just haven't got round to doing it yet! I might buy a second hand Mi16 inlet manifold and cut that down as the injector holes have been modified on my manifold and they don't fit my injectors very well.

ash mi16

awesome build dude :)

rallyeash

nice to see it making progress down at colins :)

AlexN

nice to see it making progress down at colins :)

Really! Have you seen it recently? I haven't had an opportunity to get down for months. Spoke to Colin a couple of weeks ago and he said he was about to get started on it again with a view to having it finished soon.

I won't get a chance to see the car again until Christmas so if you (or anyone else) is down at Colin's please feel free to take a few snaps and post them on here :)

rallyeash

no i havent been down to colins for atleast 8 months.

Rich_p

Any progress?

AlexN

Any progress?

Not a great deal, still reeling from the costs of home ownership!!!

I spoke to Colin a week or so ago and he suggested the shell could be finished in about 6 weeks. I need to finish the engine off which I will be getting round to in the next week or so. I will start the updates again soon, but don't worry the project is far from dead!

Samer T16

So the brakes, I was initially going to use the 406 V6 Brembo calipers on the front, I bought a pair, refurbished them and was all ready to install them... Then I was offered something a lot more interesting!

4002127700_73bc0f060b.jpg

I was offered a full Brembo Gran Turismo GT for a Mercedes S600, they had only covered about 50 miles so the discs and pads were essentially brand new! The calipers are only four pots but the pad surface area is enormous! The discs are 335x35 and cost a fortune to replace!

4526873306_4e33038a70_z.jpg

4526872946_5b6d14455b_z.jpg

4526242927_7b40f19ae5_z.jpg

4526875112_70fcb18c0c_z.jpg

There were a few issues that needed sorting if I was going to get them fitted to the 405, mainly the bells, and the brackets. Neither were suitable for use so I had to design a new bell from scratch. As I was going to get them custom made I decided to incorporate a spacer into the bell so that the offset was such that the caliper was positioned as far into the wheel as possible and the disc had clearance for the lower ball joint. I am currently in the process of getting them made, once they are finished I will measure up and get the mounting brackets sorted.

4669133897_0b62593262_z.jpg

I made a mockup bell in wood with some help from my Dad so I could confirm my back of the fag packet calculations!

For the rears I am going to keep the original setup, I have refurbished the calipers and the discs I had on the car when I took it off the road had only done a few hundred miles. I have put a full new seal kit on each and I have purchased a pair of Goodrich SpeedBleeders to help out the bleeding process (the Mi16x4 rear calipers are a pain in the ass to bleed!). I will put in a set of decent pads, DS2500 or something similar. My pedal box has full bias adjustment on so I will be able to keep the balance between the monstrous fronts and the standard rears!

4752820726_7d73985124_z.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing how this set up works in anger!

Really it's a Nice Job, I'm wondering about what discs and calipers would fit into my 405 directly without any modifications to enhance the breaking performance.

Edited by Samer T16

Samer T16

would it be the 406 brembo or 307 ??

cybernck

406 Brembo calipers with 305x28 discs fit straight on, at least on T16 hubs :).

Edit: You will need longer hoses (or L-shaped pipe extension) and wheel spacers (depending on wheels used).

Samer T16

406 Brembo calipers with 305x28 discs fit straight on, at least on T16 hubs :).

Edit: You will need longer hoses (or L-shaped pipe extension) and wheel spacers (depending on wheels used).

Thank you for the information :) .

I'm using 307 (17" inch rings). 406 brembos are very rare in my area, and I really need to enhance the breaking performance, Any Suggestions...

welshpug

406 brembos+ 406 305mm discs fit straight on all 405's with the longer hoses.

un numero d'or

Maybe you could ask a friend to send you a set od Brembo's from Europe. There is no problem to find them for let's say 200 euro.

Thank you for the information :) . I'm using 307 (17" inch rings). 406 brembos are very rare in my area, and I really need to enhance the breaking performance, Any Suggestions...

AlexN

Time for a small but long overdue update!

Colin has pretty much finished the work on the car now, just a few more bits to sort out then it will be ready for me to start the next phase of the project!

Below are some pictures showing the finished engine bay with the Evo gearbox/transfer box with adapter plate and fully working gear linkage. The steering column has been adapted to fit the repositioned Xsara steering rack and the subframe modified to use Colin's wishbones. Also a pair of front Evo driveshafts have been adapted to fit the Peugeot hubs. All in all it is looking pretty tasty!

7035754551_c7989f3f71_b.jpg

7035754567_86c296d89b_b.jpg

7035754561_7bdff4492a_b.jpg

AlexN

A few more photos of the car. Colin has finished modifying the prop shaft, it has the front half of an Evo 6 prop and the rear of the original Peugeot shaft, mated to a custom centre bearing. So the drivetrain is now complete and is proof that there is an alternative to the Peugeot boxes if you want to go 4wd!

6945439656_1441e9b981_c.jpg

6945439644_6146ac6de0_c.jpg

6945439590_7ff4b5f239_c.jpg

6945439578_1fd0e46dab_c.jpg

6945439526_b70722fc27_c.jpg

• Like 4

shalmaneser

That wing's rotten. I'll give you scrap value for it, and I'm doing you a favour... :ph34r:

(excellent work BTW)

AlexN

That wing's rotten. I'll give you scrap value for it, and I'm doing you a favour... :ph34r:

Thanks for the offer but I think I will pass! If you had offered to strip, repair and respray the wing for me I might have been interested..

One of the many many jobs left to do once I get the car back!

peter

How is this project going? looks great!!

How did you go about fitting the clutch to the evo gearbox shaft?

• Like 1