• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16x4/t16 Track Car

welshpug

My brother OZ has two Coves :D

AlexN

I used to have a Cove Hustler, I sold it and bought a Maverick ML8. That Stiffee in the background ( :o ) is actually my housemates!

welshpug

ooo Flash bugger with a Maverick :P I have a Giant VT and a TCR Advanced ISP :)

allye

ooo Flash bugger with a Maverick :P I have a Giant VT and a TCR Advanced ISP :)

I used to ride a rather nice Giant hard tail, not have a Biachi road bike for commuting. (want to get back to XC + single track though sleep.gif)

un numero d'or

Excellent work Alex, following this on the T16 forum from start.

hanpug25

Fantastic project. Always regrettet selling my white MI :(

AlexN

Another little update. I got some more stuff through in the post, my GM D585 truck coils and connectors. I will have to get a bracket made up to mount these to the strut brace and minimise the lead length to the spark plugs.

5519088375_172cc51624_z.jpg

Also have the calliper brackets completed, they fit pretty much spot on, I just have to get some shorter M12 cap head bolts to use to bolt them to the hubs.

5519088379_d05e5d257b_z.jpg

5519088381_6e4bfe6259_z.jpg

AlexN

OK, well tonight I went and picked up my turbo! It is brand new and I got it for a very good price. It comes with a really nice 3" v-band housing extension so I can run a nice sizeable downpipe.

The guy I bought it off thought that it was a GT28RS and that was how it was advertised. Once I checked the part number I realised that it wasn't at all, rather a GT2871r with 0.64 A/R turbine side mated to a GT28R 0.60 A/R compressor. I hope that 350hp will be easily achievable and with good spool up, especially with the Mi16x4 cams, head work and new manifold!

Swapping over housing later could give me a bit of a power upgrade if I feel the need for more speed :) Here are some pics of the turbo.

5550685991_9ee782063e_z.jpg

5550687173_681022c8bd_z.jpg

The actuator on the turbo is only the light low pressure one (5.6 psi I think). Would it be worth changing it to a stronger one? I will be using an electronic boost control solenoid with it.

I also picked up a whole box full of Lifeline fire extinguisher bits (thanks Brumster :) )! At least I will have a chance of putting out a fire with this lot...

5551267622_1676ae90f2_z.jpg

allye

I had completely missed the the fact you were turboing it! Will be utterly insane. One of the projects I most look forward to reading updates on the forum! ^_^

EdCherry

I also picked up a whole box full of Lifeline fire extinguisher bits (thanks Brumster :) )! At least I will have a chance of putting out a fire with this lot...

Doubt it, pissing on the fire would be more useful that in car extinguishers.

brumster

I was going to say "No problems; I hope it serves you well!" but then I figured that's not really great - I'd rather say "I hope you never need it" !!

As I said to you, EdCherry is kind of right but don't be put off - what he means is, don't expect it to put out an established, half-the-shell kinda fire... considering AFFF isn't exactly expensive, if you think you need it, use it early and it has a fighting chance. Use it too late and, like he says, you might as well be pissing on it... but to be honest, since the banning of Halon, there isn't anything these days that's going to be quite as effective as the good old green canisters ;)

(P.S. You can still get Halon for use in aircraft fires - a quick google search shows you can still buy hand held Halon extinguishers ;) )

AlexN

Doubt it, pissing on the fire would be more useful that in car extinguishers.

Do you speak from experience? Really I want it so I am able to compete at some point in the future should I feel the need.

Cheers for the info though Brumster, it's just a shame all the best materials are so bad for the environment!

Edited by AlexN

EdCherry

I was going to say "No problems; I hope it serves you well!" but then I figured that's not really great - I'd rather say "I hope you never need it" !!

As I said to you, EdCherry is kind of right but don't be put off - what he means is, don't expect it to put out an established, half-the-shell kinda fire... considering AFFF isn't exactly expensive, if you think you need it, use it early and it has a fighting chance. Use it too late and, like he says, you might as well be pissing on it... but to be honest, since the banning of Halon, there isn't anything these days that's going to be quite as effective as the good old green canisters ;)

(P.S. You can still get Halon for use in aircraft fires - a quick google search shows you can still buy hand held Halon extinguishers ;) )

Its good to have one but they are pretty much only there to stop a fire getting to big, so that you and other occupants have an extra couple of seconds to get out the vehicle. Although brumster says use it early, in the event of any fire your f***ed:

• If you do set it off early and put out the fire, you then have to spend an entire week stripping the car, cleaning it all out and refitting parts
  • If you don't... well you dont have a car anymore.

Edited by EdCherry

AlexN

I had completely missed the the fact you were turboing it! Will be utterly insane. One of the projects I most look forward to reading updates on the forum! ^_^

Not a lot of point having a T16 lump without a turbo on it ;) Seriously though I look forward to be being able to update this thread as it means I have made a little more progress to my (very hopeful!) June deadline!

I am glad that some of you guys on here are enjoying reading it as well.

EdCherry

Do you speak from experience? Really I want it so I am able to compete at some point in the future should I feel the need.

Cheers for the info though Brumster, it's just a shame all the best materials are so bad for the environment!

Kind of! never been in a car or worked on a car that has had to use one, although have seen plenty of cars go up even after them being used.

Attending my second marshals training day this weekend (as a competitor/team member to help them see things from our perspective) and have seen how many fire ext's they use to even control a mild blaze on a car.

Anyway, you can now compete in the car which is key! Only reason ive got one.

stu8v

Yep, loads of very expensive cars have gone up in smoke, All because of the do gooders banning Halon..........

wracing

I little preview of the manifold that I'm dropping off this weekend. It's a prototype for the 405 T16 engine. Its the normal equal length manifold, there has been a large amount of time spent on the design of this manifold getting it compact enough to fit above the transmission, gear linkage and exhaust. The manifold is 20mm too deep to fit into a standard 205 engine bay and would require a very small bulkhead box, but is perfect for a 4x4 205.

The manifold in the picture is only partially finished and ill let Alex post picture once he has the manifold. I'll post some more info later :)

207590_10150145413136839_700946838_6326472_5241181_n.jpg

207792_10150145412961839_700946838_6326469_7256204_n.jpg

I would just like to thank Alex for been so patient very good man indeed.

James

Edited by wracing

AlexN

Looking good James! Thanks for all the work you have put into this, I will post up some pics tomorrow and then hopefully some more very soon of it installed successfully into the engine bay!

AlexN

James very kindly drove down last night and dropped off the finished manifold. It looks very good, I just hope that it clears the bulkhead! James can give you all more info on the design etc and I will be able to confirm hopefully at some point next week if it fits the engine bay OK! Here are some pics:

5584363511_bd8e2311b1_z.jpg

5584364471_473ac0752f_z.jpg

5584954212_5ebdf02cd4_z.jpg

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

AlexN

Today I picked up my ECU, a DTA S60 that I managed to buy brand new for £300 less than retail! With this and my turbo I have managed to save myself a small fortune, thank god for Ebay!

Does anyone have a basic map that would give me a good starting place for the running in phase of the engine? Once I have got some miles on it I will get it properly mapped to make the most of all the upgrades I have on the engine.

AlexN

Time for another update. Last week I managed to spend a day helping (or hindering!) Colin and we finished the rear suspension completely, realised that the exhaust manifold will fit and started work on the gear linkage. The front and rear brake discs went on with my new stud kit, the front brakes look awesome, can't wait to use them in anger! Also saw the work that had been done to fit the intercooler and radiator. The intercooler is massive, the routing of the pipe work could be interesting but it will be possible to do it with a bit of cutting.

5698657723_2b1787bed8_b.jpg

5698657731_1101e15565_b.jpg

5698657737_4ac1840076_b.jpg

5698657729_dc57a5b7d3_b.jpg

5698657747_e9f93c349f_b.jpg

Touring car brakes :)

5698657735_0074052874_b.jpg

I also got some EBC Yellow Stuff rear pads for my refurbished rear callipers. The rear discs are so much smaller than the front I will need some decent pads in them and then play with the bias to balance it out. If necessary in the future I could upgrade the rears to a large calliper and disc.

5698695087_b0cb3beeac_b.jpg

wracing

alex i'll get back to you soon, flat out with work at the moment! :)

Josh_Quant

Very fat porject :P

do you know if Peter Taylor does extension plate for the oil pick-up for the 2.0 mi16?

and can i ask how much yours cost you? ;)

wicked

Great project and nice solution with evo box in a unique shell.....

Maybe a small remark; is the manifold correct? Shouldn't you join cylinder 1&4 and cylinder 2&3 first iso 1&3 and 2&4, due to the firing order?

Cameron

Are you using a bias pedal box? Otherwise I think you're going to really struggle with such a difference in front-rear brake size.