• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kernowmafia

[misc_work] 5+years In A Garage

kernowmafia

Hi after being a stuck with family cars i'm in a position to put my 1.6 GTI back on the road,I was quite excited to see it again after it being in my grans garage for so long,here's a pic of it pushed out ready to start working on it

P1020253.jpg

it's proper dusty,and will need a good clean,job's done today are..

buckets and harnesses out

P1020255.jpg

half leather interior fitted

P1020267.jpg

sub box and amp removed,rear ax gt spoiler removed,horrid corner splitters removed,sunstrip removed

oil put down bores,and engine turned over by hand,old fuel drained out and new fuel filter

piperx induction kit cleaned and re-oiled

tomorrow is firing it up day with new battery and fuel :D

here's a few more pics....

P1020273.jpg

P1020266.jpg

P1020262.jpg

P1020275.jpg

the last pic is all the old interior etc in the garage,which i'll collect when its running

the only thing i'm missing is the bolts to bolt the seat belt clips to the seats so i'm going to hunt thru ebay now to find some

more pic's and updates to follow

Daviewonder

Its looking a lot better already! Have you considered moving the number plate back to its original position? Looking forward to seeing it all polished up :D

hcmini1989

what wheels are those mate are they a direct fit or do they require spacers

kernowmafia

i'll probably leave the plate where it is,i must of been a proper boy racer,i was quite horrified what i'd done to it :D

it's getting there tho,i'm going to get rid of the naff silver aerial tomorrow as well,i'd like to source some 15'' 1.9 wheels too

but for now it'll stay like it is,although it's got lexus-a-like rear lights which i'm in 2 minds with at the moment

kernowmafia

the wheels are 16'' bk racing,they are a direct fit,with no spacers,the tyres are 195 tho to stop them hitting the inner wing on the back as its dropped 2 splines to match the front on -35mm pi springs

Atari Boy

Nice number plate, are they your initials?

kernowmafia

no unfortuantly not,the first owner worked for truscott's,a pug main dealer near to me so it got a '205' plate it think they might be her initials tho'

DaveW

Ditch the filter mate do you still have the standard air box?

kernowmafia

after a couple hours work,i've managed to put a massive grin on my face,by going for a quick drive...

this morning i put fresh fuel in,new battery(after putting on a new -ve clamp as the original wasn't tightening)cranked it over with the plugs out to circulate the oil,then plugs back in and it fired first time after i remembered how the (insert swear word)immobilizer worked

i'm amazed at how quick it is and how heavy the steering is :)

looking back thru the history,its had a skimmed polished head,induction kit,fse boost valve and a powerflow exhaust,and alan jeffery's rolling roaded it @134 bhp at the fly wheel

all it needs now is an MOT which i'll book when the seatbelt bolts turn up hopefully soon

here's a pic of it after a quick clean

P1020279.jpg

P1020277.jpg

P1020283.jpg

P1020280.jpg

i'm going to bring it back to my garage tomorrow to finish cleaning it and give it a once over before the MOT

and i might put the original back lights in,i remember altering the wiring to fit the lexus one's so might need to scratch my head a bit to get them working

and it was definitley a good idea to take the buckets and harnesses out,they will be off to ebay after i've cleaned them to raise some funds for the MOT :D

kernowmafia
Ditch the filter mate do you still have the standard air box?

i think i've got it somewhere,but the noise of the piperx is loverly :)

scotty

Looks very nice now after a clean :)

DaveW

Yeah sounds good but sucking in real hot air as its hanging right over the exhuast manifold :)

kernowmafia

it's got an aluminium heat guard under it to stop that happening hopefully

steve@cornwall
it's got an aluminium heat guard under it to stop that happening hopefully

Nice to wheel them out again isn't it? KRL is a good old Cornish registration :) . I think the lexarse lights were Ph1 wiring, hence your having to rewire for Ph2 car - there's an article to go from Ph1 to Ph2 on the main site which may be of use to you.

kernowmafia

it did bring back alot of memories,tomorrow i'm going to get it back to mine then put the original lights on the back,i think when i changed them the fog light and reverse light didn't work i should just be able to put the correct coloured wires back together and it'll all work

Obey_R

I had lexus lights on mine when I first got it (phase 2) and like you the reverse and fog lights didn't work.

I took the old lights out and plugged all the plugs back into where they should be with the originals and everything works now, so you might find they're just unplugged because the lexus lights didn't have the fittings for them!

kernowmafia

i've been doing more work today,more cleaning and putting the original rear lights back in,they look so much better

i even found the mask key for the head unit which fired up first time :D

P1020285.jpg

i've also ordered some original driving lights for the front to get rid of the nasty microlite ones i put on

i'm still waiting for the seat belt anchor bolts to turn up then its going for an MOT :lol:

NeilGTi85

Looks miles better with the new lights, that wiper arm looks massive though :lol:

Kepp up the good work!

danpug

Yes those lights are so much better. :lol:

kernowmafia

thanks for the positive comments,i've given the interior a good clean now i think i'm developing o.c.d. tho' especially with the exterior trim i keep seeing bits i've missed,my local auto factors must love me with all the autoglym stuff i keep buying

all i'm waiting for is the seat belt anchor bolts and front driving lights,I might sleep by the front door tonight so i don't miss the postie :lol:

kernowmafia

done abit more today,took the ater market front spots off,what a n arse of a job one of the bolts was proper siezed but came away in the end,i've free'd up the rear drums that were a bit sticky and i'm still waiting for the seat belt anchor bolts:( ,so it might not get MOT'd this week after all

rubyna
Nice to wheel them out again isn't it? KRL is a good old Cornish registration :D . I think the lexarse lights were Ph1 wiring, hence your having to rewire for Ph2 car - there's an article to go from Ph1 to Ph2 on the main site which may be of use to you.

Funny you say that about the registration, mine was from Cornwall originally and the last 3 digits are ORL!!!

Luke..

kernowmafia

i've put the new driving lights on this morning,it tidies the front up nicely and better than the rusty ones that were in there,it's handy being a sparky as the wires are now crimped/heat shrunk to stop the connections failing

P1020289.jpg

and i'm still waiting for the seat belt anchor bolts to turn up,which is all that'll stop it going thru an MOT hopefully

rescue dude

Its coming along nicely.

Good to see another one on the road.

steve@cornwall
Nice to wheel them out again isn't it? KRL is a good old Cornish registration :P

So is KGL :P If you get down this end of the county at all I can probably unearth a couple of seat belt bolts for you.