• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rob_furious

[car_overhaul] My First 205gti - Barn Find!

james306
Right a HUGE update will happen tonight.

Where's this update angry rob?

swordfish210

Dear lord that beam looks horrific, the original beam i removed from my car was allmost as bad as that.

rob_furious

Now heres the update i promised. would of been on here on the weekend but got side tracked with it being the missus birthday. €

Right. the car was moving on nicely at this point. i needed a headlight panel. and to do some welding work. but at the time i was still getting on with little jobs. such as refitting the dash. sourcing rear seats (thanks mark!) soucing a CAGE! and few other bits and pieces. now im very stuck for time with this project. the car isnt kept at my place as there isnt any working space. so the limits me with time. i work in mid wales all week and dont get to come home every weekend due to working wanting me for rallys. so i get roughly every other weekend to work on the car. any thats normally only about 6 hours total over the weekend. so she get very little time but i make huge steps when i do.

th_Photo0132.jpg

right as the car stands here iv now fitted 1.9 wheels. 1.0 litres hubs and 1.9 brakes with trick disks and pads. the brake lines have been ripped out ready to be replaced. the loom is off the front end while im welding. and no bumpers are fitted ;)

th_Photo0137.jpgth_Photo0136.jpgth_Photo0124.jpg

this lovely cage was souced through my rally buddies at work. and the lovely rear bench was donated by mark ;)

this was just a dry build to get the final picture. the car is gonna be built with full interiour. but with the added cages and buckets instead. i dont want a stripped out box. i work with hollow cars all day its not fun when you've got a head ache and all you can here is the exhaust note rattling the tin work. so interiour was a must for me. but i wanted it to be rally spec. :P

anyways welding started after begging my mate to borrow his welder. he didnt want to lend it me because i get more use out of it then him :lol: but anyways my mate tom came and helped me out. he cut plates while i welded.

th_Photo0230-1.jpgth_Photo0231.jpg

random place for rot dont ya think...

th_Photo0234-1.jpgth_Photo0240-1.jpg

th_Photo0241-1.jpgth_Photo0236-1.jpg

just a few plates. 4 in total. the only problem with the welder i use is its crap haha. sometime its great other times it couldnt weld fK all. but its all iv got atm so i make do. aye thats what grinders are for anyways :lol:

Edited by rob_furious

rob_furious

anyways the car left its make shift garage for a bit of random sun we had.

th_Photo0235.jpgth_Photo0239-1.jpgth_Photo0238.jpg

with having good weather and the boot welding done i cracked on with the paint. i treated all the rust and then red oxided, then hammerite, then my colour ;)

this is where i had already cleaned and painted the floor with the exhaust and beam on.

th_Photo0244.jpg

on....

th_Photo0243-1.jpg

off....

th_Photo0245-1.jpg

silver :lol:

th_Photo0259.jpgth_Photo0262-1.jpgth_Photo0264-1.jpg

silver to graphite

th_Photo0266.jpg

rob_furious

graphite :lol:

th_Photo0346-1.jpgth_Photo0347.jpgth_Photo0348.jpg

right since my baby was out side and with winter closing in quickly i needed to get the beam done sharpish!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/Photo0345-1.jpg

heres a few highlights of the beam state. remember this car had been stood in water. luckly only the beam was sat in water and only on one side. wasnt anything worth saving other then the tbs and anti roll bar. a 306 gti6 beam donated its trailing arms to it. and jord did me a deal if i stripped everything down and gave it to him clean. well i dont know why there isnt any photos im sure i took some. but i cleaned up everthing and then got one of the young monkeys at work to paint most of it. needless to say they cocked it up ;)

th_Photo0344.jpgth_Photo0343.jpgth_Photo0342.jpgth_Photo0341.jpgth_Photo0353-1.jpg

Edited by cybernck

rob_furious

with jord building me a lovely beam to compliment the rear. i managed to find a tired looking set of avo coilovers on pistonheads. they were £80 and only down the road. wanted avos anyways as iv loved them on the 306 so i got on the phone and collected them asap.

avos.jpg

needless to say they needed the magic touch. with rebuilding dampers every other week at work i was all set to tear these appart when the guy gave me a rebuild reciept for only a couple of months ago. great. so a quick check over and they aint bad.. so took them too work to sort out there poor condish despite gwo.

th_Photo0285.jpgth_Photo0286.jpg

well the dampers were cleaned and stripped back. but despite this the rings would not move. i tried all my normal tricks but these had obiously picked up on the body. so will need to be cut off at a point when others can be sourced. till then i just keep them at current height. ;)

th_Photo0291.jpg

few coats of paint later.

th_Photo0292-1.jpg

the springs were blasted and repainted too. they should be black but i like red better :lol:

th_Photo0284.jpgth_Photo0289.jpgth_Photo0290.jpg

bit of time later....... http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/Photo0325.jpg

yes i lightly painted over the threads. i did this on perpose as they will just need to be stripped right back when i changed the rings and paint is easier to remove then rust. if the rings were free i would have the thread to bear metal. covered in copper slip and then covered with some damper socks to keep the crud out.

Flozman

Good work man, i admire your vision. i would have weighed it in and bought some beer.

2-Pugs
i would have weighed it in and bought some beer.

How dare you! Get out!

B)

OP: Nice project, keep up the good work :lol:

rob_furious

cheers guys :)

Anthony
random place for rot dont ya think...

Actually, that seems to be a surprisingly common place for them to rust, from the underside upwards from what I can tell.

Certainly my own 205 has gone in exactly the same place, and ever since I found that on mine, quite a few other 205's I've looked at have all started to go in the same place. That, and the panel behind the rear lights that the bumper mounts to seem to be problem areas that people haven't yet caught onto :D

Is it fairly straight forward fixing the rot in the corners of the boot floor? As I said, mine's going in exactly the same place and I need to sort it out, but whilst I have many skills, sadly using a welder isn't (yet) one of them. Depending how straightforward (or not as the case maybe) the job is will depend what route I end up going down to address it - hopefully it's straightforward enough to bribe a friend with a few beers to do it for me.

Excellent work so far though, and good to see someone saving a 205 that most would have condemed to the scrappy I suspect :)

rob_furious

still need to sort the bumper mounts. need a template of the postion tho before i can sort them.

Tim 892

You have some serious vision to take it from buried under a load of old farm stuff to what you have so far. Nice one

Iain-gti

I tried to buy those coil overs :blink:

rob_furious

they was on pistonheads not the ones that was on ebay. just phoned the guy up an said i would collect asap. spent a couple of days refurbin them.

As for progress car is lookin good. all new sus is goin on. the front panels are nearly on.

bought my self a large air compressor for sprayin it. changed the wiring loom too. need to do more wiring and cambelt

Iain-gti

Yer I rang him and he wouldnt do paypal so didnt buy them. They were on Pistonheads!

rob_furious

sorry it been so long for an update but i keep doing work an my phone batt goes flat and when its low it wont let me take pictures :ph34r: so hears an update!

Coilovers when on nice and easy but think i need a new top mount as one bearing didnt look to great and now the top hat seem to be off centre. but anyways pictures!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/Photo0587.jpg

the pinch bolts will be replaced with baz's ones next time the front wheels are off. lots of little jobs happened when i put the coiloves on. new track rod ends. new steering boots. new drop lines. drive shafts were removed to be rebuild with fresh boots.

i also started painting the boot.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/Photo0592.jpg

most of the plastic trim is going to be keep in this car. like i said before i dont want a tin top. just want something thats good for events but isnt horrible to drive to the event. do not eveywhere needed painting.

2facc5f4-e31b-463d-a41a-18c8eae06a0e.jpg

quite a few late nights on my few days off from work

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/Photo0590.jpg

5ac8e19a-9297-4bf2-9b26-6bf2fc16fbb5.jpg

b4450232-c36f-40e2-bc5d-9eb4fa73d724.jpg

rob_furious

anyways the next weekend i had off i decided to wheel the old girl out and breath some life into her. not been started for 5 months as iv been doing cambelt. changing coolent hoses. changing looms and all sorts to make her better off. so with a set of jump leads and some tinkering with the wiring i got her going. ended up ripping out the immobliser as it was sh*t and caused the starter motor to crank on the engine running postion on the ignition.

8b0a1cad-0efd-4b9b-ad3a-e775c0398bdc.jpg

54956806-7303-4e9c-a198-1535afc43b25.jpg

well she started and sounded lovely ;) so the next weekend i fitted the new gauges and wired in the new rev limiter and launch control. i put most of the dash back in and covered it up while i did some welding. i borrowed the big welder from work as i go pissed off with the fisher price welder. so decided to do the cage mount. bought some cutting disks from homebase which were so thick i could use them for grinding. which ment cutting the 4mm plate took forever and soon went deaf!

bd6173ec-0afd-47ce-9724-5471b3bc2691.jpg

284cbf54-a9d4-45c3-8f15-f7257ee622be.jpg

ed115ee1-0beb-42bd-87d5-f446ec0e3883.jpg

with most of the mounts done. 3 of the 4. i decided to mock up my seating postion. i didnt want to cut the tunnel but being 6 foot 4. i needed the seat to be as low as possible and the tunnel was stopping that. so i did the normal modification and cut alot out :ph34r: with most of the dash back together. i fit my seat to some rails and put the hand brake in postion to see where and how i could have it so i was comfatable.

c5d01020-a185-4f48-83a1-6f838b5abcd0.jpg

0ffd87e7-7e49-4131-8d63-cf358f3aad57.jpg

thats all for now :D

Edited by rob_furious

marksorrento205

It is finnished yet :lol:

Stolton

good work man, impressed with all the hard work thats gone into it. keep it up tho fella.