• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rob_furious

[car_overhaul] My First 205gti - Barn Find!

rob_furious

Well this is my first 205gti. im normally a 306'er but iv been after something a bit retro and i got offered a 205 which was abandoned in a friends barn. anyways it was either i take it or it gets scrapped. so i took on the challenge. :(

plans for the car? well restore her but with cage and upgrade. but with back interior still in. want her to look road spec and tidy but ready for track B)

how she stood

DSCF2609.jpg

th_DSCF2610.jpgth_DSCF2612.jpgth_DSCF2613.jpg

my friend tom giving me a hand clearing the junk and digging the car out of the 2 inches of mud it had sat in. the garage had also flooded and came level with the sills so her condish was very hit and miss.

th_DSCF2614.jpgth_DSCF2615.jpg

th_DSCF2616.jpg

rob_furious

th_DSCF2619.jpgth_DSCF2621.jpgth_DSCF2627.jpg

th_DSCF2628.jpgth_DSCF2634.jpg

th_DSCF2640.jpgth_DSCF2656.jpgth_DSCF2662.jpg

me with my new car :(

th_DSCF2667.jpgth_DSCF2672.jpg

Edited by rob_furious

rob_furious

i asked tom what he thought of the car as a whole :(

th_DSCF2677.jpgth_DSCF2679.jpgth_DSCF2682.jpgth_DSCF2683.jpgth_DSCF2687.jpg

that was the end of the first day.

rob_furious

well 2nd day tom started ripping out the interior and removing the previous resident. (a pair of rats) which had made a huge mess in the car and while tom was cleaning in side i stipped down the engine to remove the starter and repair chewed wiring.

once we was over powered by the horrible smell we decided to clean the out side of the car. 3 washes later and some 3 step meguires. she doesnt look to bad.

th_000247.jpgth_000243.jpgth_DSCF2711.jpg

Lan

your really going to want to strip down the whole car with that I bet theres allsorts of hidden prizes

rob_furious

well day number 3 and we really needed to start getting the car mobile as we wanted to move it from the barn to my place on wednesday. so being bank holiday monday didnt have alot of time.

because the car was stood in water the beam was siezed solid. had no movement what so ever. the fronts moved after some work. but the backs were solid and the hand brake wouldnt move :( so far we had just been moving the car on to roller jacks. which didnt do one of the sills many favours but it couldnt be helped. well we jacked the car up and started with the drivers side as that was slightly deeper in water. well first cut the hand brake cable as the hand brake wouldnt come up from the down postion. so as i cut it, i could pull the brake which was a good sign for the other side. well after some wd40 and a few taps with the hammer nothing happened :huh: so i decided to remove the hub nut. which took a 5 foot bar and tom standing on it :lol: with the hub nut of i moved over to the sledge hammer. and gave it a few taps. not full swings as i didnt wanna do damage but hit it hard. and covered it in wd40. no movement what so ever B)

gave up on the beam for 4 hours an stripped out the interiour and free'd off the drivers door lock which was jammed shut. once we had removed the soaking wet sound deading on the floor we went back to the drum. with a crow bar and the sledge. while one of us held the crow bar behind the drum the other gave it a good seeing to. :lol:

After half a can of wd-40 and some banging and thumping later i could rotate the drum 10mm. after moving back and forward with more wd and more tapping. so was able to rotate it fully :P we put the wheel back on and dropped the car down. by this point it was 8pm and clocking off time really. but we wanted to have her moving so rather then jack up the other side we rocked the car for 10min and then the drum cracked free :D

SHE MOVES!!!

DSCF2780.jpg

th_DSCF2781.jpgth_DSCF2782.jpg

stripped out :P

th_DSCF2783.jpgth_DSCF2784.jpg

the carpet will be cleaned and refitted.

th_DSCF2788.jpgth_DSCF2787.jpg

the seats how ever are rottern and so replacements are needed!

where the 205 stood for so long... 5 years... and now she escapes :lol:

th_DSCF2785.jpgth_DSCF2789.jpg

rob_furious

yeah no dout Lan. so far only found 2 proper places with rot. small piece on the boot floor and a bit behind the drivers seat. very suprised considering the water shes been stood in.

anyway the car was moved to mine on wednesday afternoon. iv accidently deleted the pictures and couldnt recover them. annouyed but ill take some tomorrow. going to wash the carpet and put the car on stands and start stripping down the front end.

rob_furious

few pictures of the 306 if anyone is intrested.

1.9dturbo with an uprated bosch pump and front mount intercooler. magnex 2.25 straight through. 24psi of boost. gti beam and avo coilovers. smr wheels which i repainted like goodwoods wrapped in yoko parada's. car is running around 135bhp atm. fuel pump isnt working correctly atm should be 150-160bhp when sorted. RR will happen when the pump is sorted.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/DSCF2896.jpg

th_DSCF2900.jpgth_DSCF2899.jpg

leaky7

Wow,you certainly like a challenge :lol:

Batfink

I think you are mad! Certainly going to be very gratifying when it starts for the first time :lol:

AJA_GTi

Good to see another local!

Cant get see pics at work but looking forward to having a good look tonight/ :lol:

stubby205

good luck with that :lol:

Pugleyrich

I love barn find projects. Well done for taking it on!

Richie

Looks like your havin' fun with it, cool project indeedy!

rob_furious

thanks very much guys! my friend phil who donated it to me. well said take it or i scrap it cant belive im taking it on. but so far she doesnt look as bad as i thought it would be.

i had a basic rule for the shell. if there was any holes bigger then a hand or more then 8 holes. she would be broken for bits. so far we've only found 2 little ones so im well happy :D

and to all the local boys. all your lovely motors kept teasing me :lol: had to have one, stubbs white speedlines on miami :lol: missus doesnt like 205's but when she came to see it the other day she had a little smile one so i think she kinda likes it :P

stubby205
thanks very much guys! my friend phil who donated it to me. well said take it or i scrap it cant belive im taking it on. but so far she doesnt look as bad as i thought it would be.

i had a basic rule for the shell. if there was any holes bigger then a hand or more then 8 holes. she would be broken for bits. so far we've only found 2 little ones so im well happy :D

and to all the local boys. all your lovely motors kept teasing me B) had to have one, stubbs white speedlines on miami :) missus doesnt like 205's but when she came to see it the other day she had a little smile one so i think she kinda likes it :P

haha thanks, just had them powder coated so they're a bright White :)

BERTMAN

cool to see another 205GTi local!! good luck with it.

marksorrento205

Rob,

I loved the pics when you pm'd them me over on the gti6 forum, but somehow they look worse now? It will be a nice challange to say the least. After the fun you have had with the 306 it will be a drop in the ocean! I will have to bob down and have a scoot round soon and bring you all these bits I have sourced :)

MrG

way to go, I think this is a great project to have a crack at. Keep it going..

rob_furious
Rob,

I loved the pics when you pm'd them me over on the gti6 forum, but somehow they look worse now? It will be a nice challange to say the least. After the fun you have had with the 306 it will be a drop in the ocean! I will have to bob down and have a scoot round soon and bring you all these bits I have sourced :)

lol yeah she does look rough. ah well nothing compared to the 306. had the exhaust come off twice more so went out an bought another powerflex mount and remount the system complete. couldnt be arsed with it no more.

currently up in lancaster having a few beers as iv just picked up the new exhaust from hartlepool. got a full system in stainless. grill. auto bonnet. front and rear bumpers lower sections. and some chrome sill plates which will look nice :blink: also washed the carpet which is now red again! will post pictures up tomorrow night when im home.

Rob,

lol yeah she does look rough. ah well nothing compared to the 306. had the exhaust come off twice more so went out an bought another powerflex mount and remount the system complete. couldnt be arsed with it no more.

currently up in lancaster having a few beers as iv just picked up the new exhaust from hartlepool. got a full system in stainless. grill. auto bonnet. front and rear bumpers lower sections. and some chrome sill plates which will look nice :blush: also washed the carpet which is now red again! will post pictures up tomorrow night when im home.

rob_furious

just thought i would post these as there clear shots just before we moved the car back to mine. ill sort out fridays progress when i get back tomorrow. cant remember where my SD reader is :blush:

th_DSCF2795.jpg

th_DSCF2793.jpg

rob_furious

Fridays progress.

here is how she stands at working area. a small patch of slabs round the back of the garage out of the way.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/DSCF2903.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/nizmo7/205/DSCF2904.jpg

th_DSCF2906.jpgth_DSCF2905.jpg

heres the carpet looking sorry for its self. damm rats made a nice mess of it :)

th_DSCF2907.jpgth_DSCF2909.jpg

well one uber pressure wash later :lol:

th_DSCF2910.jpg

while i had the jet wash out and it being a warm day i washed the arches and under the sills and was rewarded with no holes :lol:

rob_furious

Well after searching for some 205 bits to get her running i found a nice load of parts in Hartlepool. which was just what i was after. so a 400mile round trip weekend with a stop off in lancaster (just got back) i now have a full stainless exhaust. looks like a magnex. also have auto bonnet and grill and bumpers. i hope someone can tell me what make they are. im not quite sure but the guy i bought them off i think they mite of been off a dimma replica.

th_DSCF2927.jpgth_DSCF2928.jpg

auto bonnet with removeable vents. this will be forsale if anyones interested pm me.

th_DSCF2929.jpgth_DSCF2930.jpg

Grill

th_DSCF2931.jpg

th_DSCF2936.jpg

th_DSCF2937.jpg

new rear bumper to replace my damaged one.

th_DSCF2932.jpg

new front bumper

th_DSCF2934.jpg

rob_furious

after a little searching and aided by that the guy gave me some gutmann door strips iv found out my front bumper is a gutmann one! epic :)