• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

[engine_work] 205 Gti 8v -> Mi16 Plus Some Other Bits.

welshpug

how many years and who did it?

hexhamstu

Spent today tidying the garage so I had some floor space to get the beam out, I really should have tidied before I put the car in. Bodged the axle stand so I could get the car jacked up as well.

P1010008-2.jpg

This is the beam unpainted.

P1010002-1.jpg

Tried to remove the strap, but once I had cut the 2 seized bolts, I couldn't thread the remaining bit through between the bars and beam tube because of the left over bolt sticking out. Lack of electricity at the garage means I will have to bring the beam up to the house to remove the bolts :rolleyes:

P1010012-1.jpg

I checked the seat mounts after being advised to by welshpug, they do look slightly worse for wear :(

P1010010-1.jpg

hexhamstu

Did some work today, tried to take the bumper off but the bolt instantly rounded off so f***ed that off and had a shot at the beam instead.

The "rear mounting flange"s didn't line up, does this mean the beam was lowered more on one side than the other? Or does it all line up once bolted to the car?

You can see here that the bolt holes are different distances from the trailing arm, one side the bolts came out fine and then the other side the trailing arm was in the way of one of the bolts coming out.

Pictures should explain this better...

Can clearly see the bolts holes on this side

P1010001.jpg

Not so much on this side

P1010006.jpg

Got all that stripped off so decided to have a go at removing the bushes,

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010026.jpg

The sleeve is still in there, will have a bash at that tomorrow, gas ran out on the blow torch so couldn't carry on with the other side.

hexhamstu

Found a Mocal oil cooler and Mocal thermostat sandwhich plate in my parents garage left over from my miami blue. Do I fit it to this or just sell it?

welshpug

have you got the hoses for it too?

p.s the pic of the 2 bolt holes looks fine, one arm has a different profile as it has a torsion bar in it :angry:

when you back dahn sarf?

hexhamstu

Got back last night, yes the oil cooler has hoses attached.

hexhamstu

going to glastonbury so won't be getting much done on this for the next few days!

Guest partz

need to get a move on stuart....

hexhamstu
need to get a move on stuart....

What kind of name is "partz"? You on the isle of white right now?

Guest partz
What kind of name is "partz"? You on the isle of white right now?

youll never know

and no not yet. I go on the 30th. Arent you at glastonbury yet?

hexhamstu

Have rented an engine crane for the weekend so the 8v will be coming out tomorrow.

I've got my hands on a be3 pedal and clutch cable so will be using the 1.6 box. I've also bought a BBM silicone hose kit :) Think I'm going to get a friend to weld up a new radiator bracket and fit a slimline fan instead of the OE bulky cowl. Will also have a bracket for the Mocal cooler attached. Just need to get the rusted bumper bolts off!! No electricity is making these little jobs very annoying.

hexhamstu

Engine came out fine, apart from me forgetting to unclip the gear linkage, so I've bent 2 of the rods :) Good excuse to replace them I suppose!

39322_10150231587630114_629870113_13660656_5982176_n.jpg

Going to give the engine bay a good clean and then replace the fuel pipe and brake hoses while the engine is out.

I'm seriously umming and aahhing about whether or not to fit PAS. Either 405/205 PAS or electric PAS from saxo/106 etc. Any opinions?

hexhamstu

Also acquired these seats http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=310235674417

Should be able to make 1 mint seat out of those 2 as one has a mint cover but broken bolster and one has good bolsters but split cover. Also have 2 other seats I bought off here where the passenger seat is mint. Just need to find a good set of rears and I've got a mint interior!

Edited by hexhamstu

hexhamstu

I've decided on the Xsara VTS rack, I've read a few posts now and it's still not chrystal clear to me, do I still need to find a Square 205 column? I plan to run it with a saxo PAS pump, does that make a difference? The car is currently a non-PAS car, would it be better to get all the pipework from the 106/saxo for the rack or do I need any 205 pipework?

welshpug

you need both stoo, and quite possibly some custom flexi pipe between some of the solid bits, difficult to say exactly what you need as everyone has done it differently.

hexhamstu

So I need a non-pas square ended 205 steering column?

Is there a rebuild guide for the calipers somewhere? I've never had one apart before. Where is cheapest for caliper rebuild kits?

Edited by hexhamstu

welshpug

I was on about the hoses :)

Not sure which column you need really.

Front calipers are a doddle, rears are a bit trickier but there's not any decent rebuild guides anywhere, I just had a play and they work!

Bigredd do kits, as do brakeparts.co.uk.

hexhamstu
I was on about the hoses :)

Not sure which column you need really.

Front calipers are a doddle, rears are a bit trickier but there's not any decent rebuild guides anywhere, I just had a play and they work!

Bigredd do kits, as do brakeparts.co.uk.

I guess I'll take them apart and come crying on here if I get stuck. So I'm best to wait till I have the rack and pump and just go from there?

hexhamstu

Read alot more now about the Xsara set-up going to head down some scrappys while I'm north this week see if I can find a square 205 column and then search the south wales ones when I get home. If not I'll try and modify a Xsara one. What did Sarty do on his? Couldn't find any pictures of a modified Xsara one. Going to go back through sartys topic see if I can find some details.

hexhamstu

I already have in my possesion a mi16 PAS pump so may just use this instead of the 106/saxo one. Is there any major pros for using the electric pump over the mechanical one?

welshpug

Colin sorted Sarty's Xsara rack, its also raised a certain amount as part of the bump steer correction, though how much I wouldn't know, nor is really applicable as it didn't run o.e rod ends or 205 hubs!

jackherer
Is there any major pros for using the electric pump over the mechanical one?

The electric pumps carry on working when the engine breaks down, its pretty handy if you are stuck in the inside of a massive roundabout and trying to push your pug by yourself...! Other than that it's easier to fit as it can go anywhere, doesn't even need to be in the engine bay.

Guest partz

looking good stu! Ill have to bring mine up for your graduation (which you'll look hilarious in a gown for btw) and we can have a blast...

hexhamstu

The rebuild kits where about £17ish and reconditioned calipers are £43.50 delivered. So not sure what to do.