• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Headlights On During The Day?

Richie

I've noticed an increasing number of motorists driving around in this beautiful sunny weather.......with the headlights on?

It's starting to annoy me as much as the fog light warriors. Has anybody else noticed the increased number of people with headlights on all the time? Or is it Birmingham thing?

I've noticed its normally VW and Audi drivers, i'm open minded so if someone can give me a reasonable explanation as to why someone would need the lights on during the daytime i'll pipe down -_- It really shouldnt annoy me i suppose, maybe i need to take a chill pill.

But does anyone know what benefits there are to have them on during the daytime? :mellow:

Obey_R

Apart from that 90% of all new cars rolling out the the factories have day time running lights as standard, as for old cars not a clue :mellow:

I think I heard somewhere that by 2012 (??) all cars being made must have daytime running lights as standard?

lemmingzappa

Maybe they think it makes them look more aggressive :mellow:

Dave

I normally use them in the day.

People are unobservant enough as it is on the roads, so anything to make my approach more visible is a good thing in my book. Especially if the setting sun is behind me, as drivers will be squinting due to the low sun.

Also, I'm not certain, but I believe it is now (or soon will be) mandatory for all new cars to have some kind of daylight running lights ie sidelights on all the time. This was certainly discussed a lot some time ago anyway.

oz.

All new cars have to have 'driving lights' on the front of their cars by 2012. These are the bright LED strips you see.

Otherwise it's just people who want to be seen - if someone pulls out on you and says "I didn't see you" It's even more questionable when they pulled out on someone with their sidelights on. The fact that you noticed these people show that it worked.

That's what sidelights are for - for people to see you. They're too low powered to be any use for lighting up the road. Driving around with fog lights on is stupid because of the way they're angled. The police can pull you over if you're driving around with full beam or your fogs on - can't remember what they call it though.

I always have my sidelights on because I've had so many people pull out on me - I've only been driving 18months!

P_Monty

It gets on my wick too, but sadly, its feature on new VWs - my wife's Polo has headlights that come on with the ignition - there's a hack of the computer to turn them off - something to do with holding the indicator stalk in a certain position as you turn the ignition on. How many owners will bother with that?

When I'm not out and about in the Pug, I ride a motorbike - the whole idea behind us riding with lights on was so that we stood out - if every s*d is going to do, we're back at square one :mellow:

hengti

i tend to use them if it's at all wet/dull - one of my pet motoring hates is people in grey cars who drive around in the pissing rain with no lights on. d'uh. so it's good news that once they've crashed them, they'll be replaced with something new that has automatic lamps

don't use them in sunlight, but did notice a car i passed that had parked awkwardly off an exit slip in the shade the other day whilst i was approaching into v bright sunlight - no hazards and couldn't see it at all until i was practically alongside it

m_attt

i do it out of habbit from motorbike days, and also as mentioned before if someone ever pulls out an hitting them is unavoidable their is even less doubt about blame if my lights are on.

Richie

I still don't think it provides a significant difference during midday sunshine.

Veero

I can see the benefits I guess, if people are more noticeable it could reduce accidents as mentioned. Those front daytime running lights do make you look like an arse though. Oh look how ditzy I am I don't know my lights are on...

Bit annoying though, had a 3 series convertible with some old duffer in it practically pushing me along yesterday, all I could see in my rear view mirror were the tosser's headlights and blinding sunlight in front of me, dazzling to say the least.

harryskid

Blame Volvo they started the stupid trend years ago! :mellow:

swordfish210
Blame Volvo they started the stupid trend years ago! -_-

Well it was the law in Sweden years ago so they had to. I tend to have my sidelights on most of the time when it's either cloudy or dull outside, no point when it's a day like today :mellow: . When i had my first accident (woman pulled out of a junction and was looking at her kid in the backseat instead of the road) the insurers asked me if i had my lights on and because i did they said it gave me a much stronger case because she should have had no reason for not spotting me

AJA_GTi

I used to drive around with my halos on when I had my 528i cos they looked so damn cool. A bit embarrasing now but at the time I felt like Charlie Big Potato. W4NK3R :mellow:

electrical_angel_lg.jpg

steve@cornwall

The sidelights on my 1.1 were "temporarily " wired to the ignition after changing the dash and loom and losing them (including dash lights) for about 8 months.

I always felt like a forgetful d1ck when driving during the day.

Goliath

I find it easier to spot cars when they have their headlights on, especially if the sun is in my eyes. If they stand out to me then I must stand out to them too!

I don't normally bother in the 205 though as it's going so fast no one see's the car let alone the headlights -_-:mellow:

Cameron

They're the new LED washer jets if you ask me. I believe the technical term is "wanker lights".

I think it's pointless. If you aren't aware enough to turn your lights on when the conditions become poor then you shouldn't be driving. The same goes for the gobs*ite wankers that drive down the motorway with their fog lights and / or full beams on.

AJA_GTi
I believe the technical term is "wanker lights".

I think it's pointless. If you aren't aware enough to turn your lights on when the conditions become poor then you shouldn't be driving. The same goes for the gobs*ite wankers that drive down the motorway with their fog lights and / or full beams on.

Yowser! Someones got sand in their vagina tonight, chill Winston :mellow:

Richie
They're the new LED washer jets if you ask me. I believe the technical term is "wanker lights".

high5.jpg

fast_eddie

I was going to write a full page of my feelings about drl's and fog lights/headlights however, Cameron's post has summed it up for me...

m_attt

how are they "wanker lights"

for example, i followed a middle age women in a ford ka today for a mile, she was in the outside lane at half the speed limit with her rhd indicator on, oblivious to her road position, big green flashing light on her dash, the empty lane inside her and the cue of cars behind her.

wile there a people like that on the road, surely any slight increase in your visibility is a good thing.

AJA_GTi

People who drive around without indicating are far more irritating. Especially when they cause you to give way on roundabouts THEN TURN LEFT inconsiderate f*cktards! :D

Breathe breathe breathe...

tagy
People who drive around without indicating are far more irritating. Especially when they cause you to give way on roundabouts THEN TURN LEFT inconsiderate f*cktards! :D

Yes, hate people that do that, seems like more and more people don't indicate at roundabouts.

Rich_p

I hate the non indicators too. I've found myself edging out towards them now, enough so it scares them but I know they can't crash into me, I then point at their indicators!

Back to the headlights thing, I nabbed a brand new golf pool car from work on Friday & the lights confused me for a while!

GLPoomobile
If you aren't aware enough to turn your lights on when the conditions become poor then you shouldn't be driving.

Sadly that accounts for a massive percentage of drivers on the road. What boils my piss is the f***ers who drive around at dusk with no lights on, sometimes in the dusk AND rain :D