• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

[engine work] My Mi Rebuild

Sandy

It was fun :D

welshpug

with just an inlet cam? how much torque? :D

was the AEM wideband the complete kit and if so where from and how much?

Jrod

I can't remember torque but 158 seems to be sticking in my head (Sandy?!)

Catcam 4900527 inlet, 4900526 exhaust.

The AEM is a full kit but we havn't set it up yet, will do it when I take the engine back in the car. :D

Quickvid on the dyno

Edited by Jrod

allye

Thats sounds abosolutly mental! Well done on the build, impressive power. :lol:

Sandy

We were seeing about 158-160lbft steady (DIN corrected) at 5500rpm. The calibration was checked only a few days ago, so it's absolute, no rolling road vagueness!

There's no way I could have refined the cam timing, fuelling and ignition as much I did on a rolling road; which is why we use the dyno! It will still need to be trimmed in the car, but only the fuelling usually and I have a clear picture of what this engine wants now. The best mixture varied (what felt best and gave best power) quite a bit through the map and constantly reminds me how crude it is to just rely on a target mixture as tends to be the norm.

Jrod

Home. :(

jroddynograph.jpg

Sandy advised me the dip in the midrange is down to the exhaust manifold so I'll probably change at some point.

craig_007

Excellent mate you must be chuffed with that.

What exhaust manifold are you using ?

Sandy

Maniflow twin-Y one. The dip's usually about 4500rpm on 2 litres, but appears around 5000rpm on this 1.9. Not bad at all for std head and bottom end I thought!

Jrod
Not bad at all for std head and bottom end I thought!

We'll see how long that lasts. :)

Batfink

I love the way that comes on cam!

Tom Fenton

Great result, it just shows what the cams release compared to my 1.9 Mi16 on bodies but otherwise standard (inc standard exh manifold), makes ~175bhp.

Which exhaust manifold will dial out that mid range dip?

Anthony

Looks none too shabby at all that, with a useful 4500rpm spread that's over and above a standard Mi16 rather than being peaky :)

Now, try not to blow this one up!

Jrod
Which exhaust manifold will dial out that mid range dip?

Sandy did mention who he gets to make them but its to his design iirc. I said I didn't want to spend more but looking as the graph I think I might.

Now, try not to blow this one up!

To be fair... I don't think the last one was to do with me, just a dud engine! :)

Jrod

It's now in the car and running.

A couple more small jobs to do before the first drive, I cannot wait.... :D

Sandy

Fantastic :D

Jrod

Ok so a 40bhp increase is quite noticeable then! :lol: I only took it out for 30 mins or so just to make sure there were no leaks etc (there wasn't :) ) but 200bhp is quite nice, can't wait until spring when I can actually use the power! :D

Everything works as it should except the rev counter, I need to sort that as even with a shift light I don't like not having it. :(

Just after I arrived home on Thursday:

pics044.jpg

Possibly not the best way to transport an engine but it works:

pics041.jpg

I had to wait for some flywheel bolts to arrive from Peugeot, as soon as they arrived on Saturday I started...

Moving an engine crane / engine stand with an engine on in snow and ice is tricky:

pics057.jpg

Bolted most of the bits back on:

pics058.jpg

And the rest:

pics062u.jpg

In it went:

pics076.jpg

Considering I only got the engine home last Thursday and its now in and driving I think I've done quite well! (especially considering I've been working 10 hours day this week!) It took some dedication in the current weather! (the fact I was desperate to see how fast it felt helped! ;))

Sandy

Superb <_<

pug_ham

Looks good, much better with the clean rebuilt box matching the engine colour. :P

Nice power result & spread, I bet you can't wait for some drier & warmer weather so you can try it for real & hear the intake noise from behind the wheel.

I've used similar engine transporting methods, hardly ideal but it works.

Graham.

Jrod
Nice power result & spread, I bet you can't wait for some drier & warmer weather so you can try it for real & hear the intake noise from behind the wheel.

Indeed, Can't wait util spring! That said I've still managed to do about 100 miles today. :):D

James_m

I like the way it holds power all the way to 7700ish? I'm sure it will make a very quick car through the gears

Alastairh

Top work by all!

Alan_M

I'm interested to know how you're getting on with surge and those semi-slick tyres.