• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

[engine work] My Mi Rebuild

James_m

Best thing to with that mc is just grind the edge off. Quick question, what rad fan is that your using?

Jrod

I plan to unbolt the top engine mount and drop the engine a touch. Once this is done I will probably try and remove a bit of plastic from the cover.

Fan is just an eBay one.

Jrod

Ground the cam cover a bit and theres now 2-3mm.

enginein2003.jpg

Chucked in a few more bits, should be done soon. B)

enginein2006.jpg

As this is the first time I've ever put an Mi in and I last took this out 10 months ago I can't remember a few bits....

enginein2007.jpg

The 2 wires (white and yellow) and the white plug, can you tell me what each is for?

I know at least 1 of the wires is an earth (which is which?)

James_m

Sorry dude but the cam cover will still rub being that close, you will probably find you get vibration through the pedals at high rpm. Annoying on the motorway....

DrSarty

Any wire that has a ring on is likely to be an earth. On a typical BX16v loom there is a wire in the injector bundle which earths under a fuel rail bolt.

But how about leaving them for now, and seeing if it starts. If it doesn't, earth one/both (if they both have rings) and try again.

Edited by DrSarty

Jrod

I can always move it over a touch more if I need to. :lol:

Thanks for the advice Rich. I'm 95% sure they are both earths as I had 2 going to the fuel rail points with the old loom, its just they were both black.

Still don't know what the plug is for though!

Jrod

It runs. :)

Miles

I have your exhaust here, I'll drop it off on Sunday for you

Jrod

Awesome Miles thank you! :D Should be ready to drive Monday. ;)

DrSarty

Nice one Jordan.

Remember to clean and re-oil that ITG filter. It's sat for sometime.

P.S. Can you get back to me about that alloy block alternator tensioner please?

Jrod

I've got a bit more time now so thought I'd ad a little more detail.

When I first tried to start it it didn't go quite to plan. I Turned the engine over a few times on the key with the fuel pump fuse and king lead off just to get some oil flowing. Plugged it all back in and tried to start it but nothing...

Checked for a spark and it had one, fuel and nothing, the pump wasn't pumping. It was then I noticed the fuel gauge read nothing. I was trying to figure this out and it occured to me, I'd unplugged an earth behind the brake light to fix some rust and had yet to plug it back in. Plugged that in and she came alive. :)

Rich, It's currently just running on the standard inlet until all my bits are ready. Colins got the bodies at the moment as he's modifying them to fit the alloy block Mi16. I don't know how much space I'll have but I'm half tempted to get a bigger filter and trumpets if I can fit it in there. :D

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

205004w.jpg

325 days later and it drives out of the garage under its own power.

I've alot to update and will do so when I'm not so tired.

Henry 1.9GTi

nice one ;)

always nervous on turn key moments, hope the transition to the bodies goes well.

Jrod

Now passed its MOT, albeit after a bit of hassle!

MOT was booked for Tuesday, on the way there the throttle pedal dropped to the floor, I thought the cable had snapped but when I stopped to check it the actual linkage bit the cable hooks into was gone. :P I guess I didn't do the little metal tab thing up on it!

Managed to bodge a radio key :D into the linkage to make it idle at about 3k, this was just enough power to get me home. Grabbed my spare and rushed around fitting it trying to get to the MOT.

By the time I get there I'm 15 minutes late, not too bad... Have a look around and no one is there. Turns out they are part time firemen and had been called out, the other guys were still there, just no MOT tester. Wait around for 45 mins then am finally told to call them, he tells me he will call me when they get back. Finally get a call at 7pm saying they can't do it today, can I bring it in tomorrow.

So today it finally gets it MOT, Fails on 5% CO level - at this point I'm ready to kill myself. Ask him If i can leave it hooked up and have a fiddle to try and sort it, just as I am I notice where the ICV joins the Intake hose there is a small split. Rush home and change this only for it to still be the same, small tweak on the AFM screw and its down to 1.50% :D

Spent all evening driving so the miles are getting covered quickly and it should be all run in and ready for the first oil change very soon.

Overall very happy, can't wait for more power but the semi slicks and diff really transformed the car! :D

Jrod

So a bit of an update.... I've done a decent amount of miles with no problems oter than I'm getting a little bored of the power. :(

I sent my bodies back to Colin to have a fuel rail made for the other injectors. I also got him to modify the vaccum take off at the same time. :blink:

rail002.jpg

8!

rail001.jpg

rail003.jpg

The engine is coming out this weekend and down to Sandy for mapping on the engine dyno on the 29th.

omega

fantastic work

and a nice clean car as well

Jrod

Removed the engine this weekend ready for my week away down in plymouth! :huh:

Only fault I've found so far is there is a tiny split in the D/S boot which has started to fling grease everywhere.

A problem I'm having now though is removing the cams... I can't undo the allen bolts without rounding them off!! :o They are done up to the correct torque and I'm using the same tools I did to fit them only a few months ago. I've cleaned all the oil out from inside them to make sure the bit is all the way in but the first 4 I tried all rounded out. :lol:

I'll try again tomorrow but I'm hoping I can get some more bolts to replace the damaged ones. (or find the set I've got spare!)

Miles

A torx bit works well here, I would get a complete new set of bolts with a higher grade say 12.9, this will make things more re-liable

Jrod

I managed to remove them all but I already ordered the bolts directly from Peugeot. Turns out they don't do them anymore as they supplied me with these:

photo2zp.jpg

Torx head but they are actually too long.

I've now just ordered some 12.9 bolts.

James_m

I remember when I was building my mi16 about 3 years ago I was faced with the same problem, and suprise suprise peugeot supplied me with the exact same incorrect bolts!

Anthony

The part number is wrong on the Peugeot catalogue, that's why.

From memory, you need to order 2.0 Mi16/S16 (XU10J4) bolts as they're correct

welshpug

These sound correct - 6913 P5 24 SCREW DIAM 6X100-30

(that's from 405 + 306 RFY engine listings, used in loads of recent cars too)

Jrod

Cheers for that but its too late now, I need them for tomorrow and they won't have them in time.

Jrod

Well, here we go!

I started at 5am this morning and left to meet Sandy @ JRE at about 10am.

Made our way over the the dyno and gradually started to get it all ready, this involved Sandy fitting the cams and a flywheel that fits onto the dyno. We had a few small problems in the day, mainly because I left stuff at home... :D

After Sandy got the engine ready we started to fit it whilst Sandy popped off to Colin and they sorted me an exhaust.

picture009o0.jpg

A few hours later and it was mostly there. We'll be mapping tomorrow hopefully and will see what it can do!

picture010y.jpg

B)

Jrod

Another fun day but I won't add all the details just yet.

197bhp