• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

[engine work] My Mi Rebuild

Jrod

Some of you may of seen my luck, others not.... I bought the car with a freshly built engine, nearly everything was new and had covered less than 1500 miles.

It then started with 8 bent valves after a few weeks of ownership and a few weeks after that was repaired lots of rattling and smoke. 7 Months later and its still not moved.*sigh*

Anyway....

I picked up a 405 which was claimed to have an engine from Peugeot about 10,000 miles ago. It had then been sat in a field for a long time by the look of it. Alot of the rubber seals were very hard but everything appears to be in very good condition.

I've been slowly collecting parts and am planning on reusing alot of parts from my first engine.

I was also torn on what to do about a sump baffle, stick with the Petert extended pickup (which I saw surge with) or swap to the PTS type. As it happened a windage tray came up forsale on here so I snapped it up as I was missing it from my setup, This made my decision alot easier. I've also ordered the 6 bar spring, 26t sprocket and 52 link chain. A full peugeot head gasket set then popped up on ebay, perfect timing. :D £53 on ebay or £200 from the dealers (if it wasn't NLP!)

I'm almost ready for this to start being built, I've just got a few questions and I'll be ready.

The head has never been skimmed and has no corrosion. I'm going to skim it just for the sake of it while its off but how much should I have taken off?

What are the the allen headed bolts on the side of the head for?

Is there any prep work for liner seals, I heard of using vaseline or something? :)

I'm sure theres other stuff that I will need to know so this thread will be updated. :)

Edited by jackherer

Jrod

Head is currently at Automotive machine services (Nick who used to work at Q.E.P from what I've been told.) Being skimmed and any other work which might be required.

I decided to take the pistons and liners out today and found 1 bearing is a bit scored, crank has no marks but will see what Miles thinks when I take it to him. I've got a spare reground crank which has also been balanced so I can always use that.

What method do people use to clean up liner seats?

img0839qe.jpg

img0843oa.jpg

img0849jl.jpg

img0846o.jpg

Grr imageshack rotated my pics lol? (lol)

Edited by Jrod

welshpug

wire brush or wheel in a drill to get most of the loose crap off, then some emery cloth if there's any more :mellow:

Jrod

Whats the best way to avoid anything going in the engine? Just do it upside down on the stand and then compressed air after? :mellow:

welshpug

tape it up :mellow:

James_m

That block looks really good condition, perfect liner seats compared to my engine!

Jrod

Well its only supposed to of done 10k, it's been sat for quite a few years though at a guess.

To be honest I'm dissapointed about the marks on the bearing.

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

The oil pump out of my previous engine has some kind of guard on, I assumed it was standard but the one from this engine doesnt have it.

img0858ii.jpg

img0857.th.jpgimg0855z.th.jpgimg0854.th.jpgimg0853si.th.jpg

Do these look ok to use as they are now?

Why is imageshack being a prick and rotating my photos randomly, grrr! :)

craig_007

Thats an oil pump baffle,It can be bought from Peugeot as an extra.

That oil pump in the picture also has the petert pick up extension

Jrod
That oil pump in the picture also has the petert pick up extension

That bit I knew. :)

craig_007

You ever get to the bottom of your original piston seizure problem ?

I've just fitted an afr gauge to mine and my fuelling was very rich at the topend so bore wash could well be a possability !!

Jrod
You ever get to the bottom of your original piston seizure problem ?

I've just fitted an afr gauge to mine and my fuelling was very rich at the topend so bore wash could well be a possability !!

Nope.

I've started again with a new engine but will take it to a RR and have it checked once running. :)

pugman211

how do you fit an AFR guage and where to?

Jrod

Cylinder head came back today.

Another step closer. :D

img0943y.jpg

Jrod

So today the build finally started.

Unfortunatley it couldn't be finished as a recent change in spec means I'm still waiting for a new Catcam and pulleys to arrive.

Either way the bottom end is all done. ^_^

mi16040.jpg

mi16043.jpg

Oil pump is a bit of a pain to get on with the windage tray!

mi16044.jpg

Genuine Peugeot headgasket.

mi16047.jpg

Now with its head.

I've now actually got these bodies but unfortunatley they won't fit a Mi16 without work. :(

mi16056.jpg

Firstly the take off pipe on the left hits the engine mount so thats going to need to be cut off and put in a different location. These were actually fitted to Sartys engine which I believe is a later 2.0 iron block. Can you use the mount from this or are they totally different?

Also this stud on the head:

mi16057.jpg

There is no hole for this in the manifold, no too much of a problem but thats the best way about it? Can you remove it from the head? That or I can grind it off or drill a hole in the manifold.

A Big thank you to Miles @ Pug racing for doing this for me! :)

P.s. Miles, the clutch bolts were in the box of seals, my organisation was spot on! ;)

Edited by Jrod

boldy205

Your build is looking good, Im sure the PAS belt i posted to you will add et least 50BHP! ^_^

Jrod
Your build is looking good, Im sure the PAS belt i posted to you will add et least 50BHP! ^_^

It's not even for me! It's for dee205, I just knew he needed one so grabbed it for him. :) I am going to be running PAS still though...!

Miles

Just remove the stud, it will either pull out or grind it off, the other one is missing anyway.

Bar that it should fit I would have thought as the Mi and S16 head is the same design, only the top engine mount is different

Jrod

:)

It does actually fit, the stud was just pushing it across a touch more so it wouldnt line up. There is still issues with the vacum takeoff as the gap is rather small.

I was thinking I could just cut a small section off, just enough so the rubber hose can bend up and clear the mount as at the moment it just kinks.

moremi004.jpg

moremi005.jpg

And heres how it should look soon...

moremi013.jpg

(most bits arn't bolted on, especially as its got no cams! ;)^_^ )

Jrod

I cut a bit off the end, this is as good as I can get it.

evenmoremi002.jpg

I think it should work but I've bought a 90 bend to see if I can improve it.

Jrod

Attempt 2 is better. :lol:

imagetgnn.jpg

I'm going to try 1 more just to see if I can make it more 'pretty'. I've bought a 90 bend silicone hose.

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

Ok the engine is basically done. After a chat with Miles I decided to run it in on standard cams and injection, saves giving it a hard time when just built.

I'm just waiting for my 4900527 Catcam to arrive with Miles then I'll pick up my gearbox that he's re-built now fitted with a LSD. :unsure:

Tonights job was the cambelt, I've never done a 16v one on my own without supervision but it seems pretty simple stuff. The tension is the only bit I'm unsure of so I'm after a bit of advice regarding that. (I could of course take it back to Miles quickly when I pick up the box but it's getting rather heavy to move around now! :D)

I had some locking pins made up and used an allen key in the bottom pulley.

cambelt014.jpg

cambelt018.jpg

Ok so here is a quick video of the tension, I appreciate it may be hard to judge in a video but any ideas on how it looks, ok?

http://img338.imageshack.us/i/mymovie.mp4/

Hopefully it will be fitted soon and run in not long after. I've then just got to bolt on alot of goodies I've collected, sort out mapping and see how it does!

Miles

A good rule of thumb is that is the timing holes line up then the tension is fine, Too tight or loose it won't quite line up again

Jrod

Parts have been turning up bit by bit, still waiting for my new 4900527 CatCam to arrive but that should be next!

I've sent the bodies back to Colin Satchell to make me a fuel rail for the second set of injectors and also I decided to move the vacuum take off whilst I was at it. <_<

photos006x.jpg

8 Injectors for my twin injector setup, Vauxhall V6 and 106 gti.

mi1651.jpg

mi1652.jpg

Radiator lowering bar

mi1656.jpg

Kumho V70As

mi1657.jpg

I ordered the radiator from GSF, went down the next day and they had sold it! I couldnt believe it nor could he. He said they sell 2 a year and it just happened someone went in that day and asked for one and took the one they had ordered in for me! (So if you live in portsmouth and bought a radiator from GSF recently F*^k you! :P)

He did however get one in the next day and reduced it to £45 from £54.

Miles is just finishing my gearbox now I guess with the AP LSD. I'm half considering a plate diff but as this is a road car I'm not sure yet, Miles ground the casing ready for a plate diff If I do decide to swap though. :lol: I've also decided to use a full system from Miles rather than just the manifold, the lack of cutting and bodging was what swayed me!

I've been bothering Sandy alot recently about exactly how to go about building this engine and his advice has been greatley appreciated. :lol:

Considering 2 months back this engine was supposed to be totally standard bar the oil pickup etc it seems to be develping! :)

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

I'm still waiting for a few bits before I send it for mapping on the bodies.

I thought I might aswell chuck it in and run it for a bit but this doesn mean I'll have to take it out again in a few weeks. :)

The cambelt cover is now rubbing the M/C even when the engine is pushed all the way over, the only thing I've really changed that I think could cause this is the top engine mount. The original was tired and all the rest are BBM so I decided to fit a top BBM one aswell, I'm guessing this is a bit taller where new but I'll look into this tomorrow. :P

enginein014.jpg

enginein019.jpg

Edited by Jrod