• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Another Bent 205 ....

Tom Fenton

I would not be concerned about the Category status. To be honest this is only a concern when you are buying or selling a newer car with much more value attached. As said, just make sure any repairs are to a good standard and there are no worries.

andyjstone

I was really sorry to hear about this, hope you get it sorted soon - Cadwell seems to have taken it's toll on the Pug contingent, must be a record!

Carl Chambers

here is another pic of it I took today

080.jpg

the important bits are all still straight it the inner wing beyond the strut top thats bent, the chassis leg to where the bumper mounts looks to be ok but cant tell till I get it fully stripped. Will do this after the insurance man looks at it.

Either way it can be saved, but think it will get written off. This is not the end of the world, just is a problem later if another claim later down the line has to go in as insurances dont take kindly to cars that have been proviously written off. Trick is to take loads of pics thoughout then you have proof that onthing major was done.

zebedy101

Forgot to mention if you do need an alternator then I have one in the shed, I also have a red bonnet that can be donated to the cause free of charge as I have no use for them and there just in the way ATM. I'm sure between me Nat and Carl we have most of the bits apart from the inner wing but I can source that from pug at a nice cheaper price and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt.

It looks like you may well end up with a car that's much tidyer than before and red again...

zebedy101

Also forgot you probably need the radiator subframe which will also be a special price pug jobby but I will price these uponday and let you know the score.

welshpug
Also forgot you probably need the radiator subframe which will also be a special price pug jobby but I will price these uponday and let you know the score.

the bar across the bottom? I have 3 of those somewhere, brand new gen pug.

MrG

Jonny, all is not lost, a massive downer though but it looks too smart to be a track hack you know!

Look forward to seeing it at the next trackside meet though.

Tom Fenton

So when can we officially move on from the sympathy phase to the piss taking phase?!

I parked a 205 on its roof on the exit of the Gooseneck about 5 years ago, I still have not heard the last of it!

MrG

LOL...

well I thought I'd caused Jonny to have the crash as I rang him only to be told 'I've just dented the car'! 'thankfully' he did it 15mins before I rang....

Atari Boy

Piss take away chaps, I know I would be by now, particularly as I did it on the way to the track, not even on it.

I have now have an independent quote, not the sort of figures I was hoping for.

Labour £1330

Paint and materials £260

Parts listed not priced but £1000 minimum and up to £1500 worst case.

So that’s £2590 best case with a quote from one an independent point of view, current agreed value if £2500 (£3000 as of Wednesday dam it), so it will be written off.

I know I can fix it for less, but will I be able to get an agreed value for the car again once I have repaired the car because otherwise it makes doing the work had to justify. If it gets stolen of binned again and I only get a £500 payout.

MrG

well that's a question that only you can really answer as to whether its worth doing again, I expect you can still get the valuations done though and insure the car again in the normal manner. Personally I'd buy it back and get it sorted out and use at it was intended regardless. Otherwise you've got to go looking for a sound car to start the basis all over again. And there's more money to layout going that route as well.

But then again it does present some good opportunities though, do you go and get a track ready car (although the pitfalls are the quality of the work etc as you know how good yours has been done) or do you leave it alone and remember the 'good ole days'?

Atari Boy

The assessor inspected the car yesterday and has today said that it is beyond economical repair and therefore written off. Slightly alarmingly, the assessor did not know it had an agreed value.

I have spoken to my insurance broker and they have said that I can buy the car back and repair it myself. It will have a category write off listed against it but as I plan on keeping it that does not matter too much. They have also said that as long as the car hgets a new MOT and an engineer’s report, I should be able to secure another agreed value. This is an important area, because if I can’t it will make the work unviable in case I stack it again.

One area which is bit of a kick in the balls is that if I buy it back, I do so at 30% of its agreed value, nit normal scrap.

I also got a break down of the parts that need replacing, if I do put it back together.

N/S wing

N/S plastic wheel arch

Front bumper

Bumper insert

Slam panel

Headlamp panel x2

Lower front centre panel

Radiator

Radiator cowling

Radiator fan

Bumper brackets x2

N/S Indicator

N/S Headlamp

Headlamp mounting kits

Grille

Bumper grille

Air filter

Bonnet

Front valance

I will let you know how I get on .....

Edited by Atari Boy

Jemehan
Sorry to hear this mate :rolleyes:

Is it bad bad or just panels?

I feel a bad urge to slap you, PAY ATTENTION, poor car, kiddin man. I feel sorry for you did this to mine in the ice. I know, its horrid makes you want to cry

Baz

Gutting! :rolleyes:

One area which is bit of a kick in the balls is that if I buy it back, I do so at 30% of its agreed value, nit normal scrap.

That's the unfortunate downside to agreed value policies, once they know you value the car (financially and beyond) they'll kick you in the balls for it both ways, initial premium-wise, then upon buy-back after BER Claim.

If it wasn't a case of a 3rd party being involved, i wouldn't bother claiming tbh, they'll 'write off' (God i hate that terminology!) all 205's these days anyway, and still try and not pay out what you want, even if it's an agreed policy, unless you're very lucky. Which is essentially what they're doing anyway considering they want a high buy-back figure!

If you are lucky, and certainly in this case, as there is the 3P then it may be worth it i guess at that kind of value, but in reality these days insurance companies will just try and wriggle out of paying out any decent worth on these 'old' cars and it makes more financial sense to just repair yourself. ^_^

MrG

so around £700 for a car you know very well, and I take it they pay out for the car anyway. So I expect you can now say who'll do the work AND whether you use new or good used panels etc.

Personally this is a no brainer, I'd buy back and get it sorted. It's a good car and with confidence gained in that car, another won't have the same feel.

Atari Boy

You are right Baz and Andrew, it will interesting to see how it pans out. In theory, I buy the car back at 750, pay the excess of 300 which ‘should’ leave me 1450 towards the repair.

As long as I can get another agreed value I will repair the car, as Andrew says, I know the car inside and out.

jackherer

Getting another agreed value is one thing, but you need to consider what your premium will be after this claim, I suspect it will be quite inflated.

Silky

Plus a Cat C/D car won't have the same high value as a non accident car

Jemehan

You could always just fix it yourself, i do when ive had slaps in mine. Ice slid into a sign post, new rad bumper bonet grill etc. You can get the parts pretty cheap and to be honest its just time thats the problem, mines partly fixed now, costing about £150 all in all.

Depends how much you love the car, they can all be fixed....

MrG

regards the value, it doesn't matter too much as by the sounds of it its a keeper as best it can be. After all a track based car will never be worth the sum of its parts so you've lost from the word go.

Atari Boy

UPDATE: I have heard back from the assessor and he has confirmed that the car will be Cat D. Heritage have confirmed that I have an agreed value and that I will lose £300 for the excess and £750 to buy the car back.

I also checked with Heritage and Adrian Flux today about a renewal, both said the new policy would cost an extra £25 over this year’s cost which is not too bad is it.

I just need to get the car back together now...

All Praise The GTI

not a bad result then really mate :P

just be MORE carefull next time :)

MerlinGTI

Very re-assuring your experiance with Adrian Flux and a garanteed value policy :) Glad its going as well as can be hoped so far, good luck on what looks like will be a pretty easy repair.

Atari Boy
Very re-assuring your experiance with Adrian Flux and a garanteed value policy :) Glad its going as well as can be hoped so far, good luck on what looks like will be a pretty easy repair.

just to clarify, I am with Heritage at the moment, not AF, although they were very good and helpful.

MrG

although I was with AF years back and when we claimed on my total loss e36 M3 they paid without any hassle at all..

Nice one Jonny, get it started then and it'll be done in no time.