• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy_spoke_in

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 - The Beginning

Paul_13

Search brown multiplugs, your concerned wire goes through this.

Results

Edited by Paul_13

jeremy_spoke_in

Had a look at the mutiplugs, the concerned wires look like their in the right place, pics below.

I've uploaded a video to show what happens when i try and start it, almost sounds like its going but then just stops.

brown multiplug

DSC00295.jpg

fuel pump switch

DSC00296.jpg

where fuel pump switch leads to

DSC00298.jpg

starting attempt

th_MOV00299.jpg

jeremy_spoke_in

If i connected the red wire with the fuse direct to the battery would this work?

hothatch
If i connected the red wire with the fuse direct to the battery would this work?

No mate this would make the fuel pump a permanent live wich you don't want, you need an ignition live, the wires must me in the wrong pins on the multiplug, nickoalith has the exact connections the wires wire should be going to and they are tryed and tested and correct, it has been pinned. Do the search for gti6 wiring guide.

jeremy_spoke_in

So i wired in the fuel pump with the above red wires direct to possitive on the battery with no difference. So i changed the wires back to being in thefusebox.

Bought a new starter and it would maybe start 1 in 10 times. After trying for another couple of weeks to find the problem i wired the fuel pump direct to the battery again and it now fires every time!

Obviously this is not an ideal setup. After turning the key off the fuel pump still runs so i have to remember to turn the pump off.

I have to admit the first few times i drove the car it scared the s~!* out of me. But i now enjoy every second in it.

Got to make the most of it until the MOT runs out on July 21st :P then the gti6 project really begins!

thanks for reading

jeremy_spoke_in

Not really got started with the conversion yet but hoepfully in the coming month or so there may be something for me of interest to post.

Just a quick qustion. When i take out the s16 engine do i need to unlock the ECU(remove it when car running) even though the ECU will remain with the engine?

thanks

jeremy_spoke_in

Got the S16 lifted out today with the old forklift. I was surprised how easy it was to get out, but i guess the hard part is remembering where everything goes.

I think the car is still on 1.6 driveshafts, can someone let me know what i have (pic below).

before

DSC00848.jpg

driveshafts (1.6?)

DSC00866.jpg

after

DSC00867.jpg

Plan is to remove everything from the bay and sort out the rust... then plumb in the 6 engine

cheers

Mike

Edited by jeremy_spoke_in

blessed6383

get the bay stripped out mate and de-grease and give it a coat of paint your be surprised how good it looks after did this to mine to match the exterior colour and was wellworth the extra work (although isn't that hard)

this was all done with rattlers just make sure the weathers half decent

DSC00792.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

as for the drive shafts count the splines on the hub ends to tell you if there 1600 or 1900

then refer to ths link

http://www.websworld.org/marcel/309/tech/shafts.html

Edited by blessed6383

jeremy_spoke_in

Thanks for that, plan is to get everything out the bay and then paint.

Just thought i'd ask for some opinions on the rust in my engine bay. I have no experience of treating rust but i bought some bilthamer stuff which will hopefully do the trick.

The pictures really speak for themselves any advice is most welcome...

drivers side

DSC00882.jpg

battery tray area

DSC00869.jpg

worst part (passenger side)

DSC00883.jpg

thanks

Miles

Been in the war's, Both front wings replaced and headlight panels just straighted up and not replaced,

You see these panels for sale so I would get some and replace

jeremy_spoke_in

Well after a few cold months i thought i'd get back to working on my little project this week.

I have decided this car will stay with the S16 engine purely because it will be much easier to refit,(I will change the thread title if i can figure out how). Since i have very little experience working on cars, i think undertaking a GTI 6 conversion would only mean the car would never get finished.

So my GTI 6 engine will probably be for sale soon with many new parts fitted (see previous pages)

Since my last update i have painted the engine bay, had some parts powdercoated and zinc plated, and began refitting. Looks much better than before so i think it will have been worth the effort.

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

Anti-roll bar bushes, 4 front subframe captive nuts, 2 rear subframe bolts, all genuine Peugeot available if anyone wants them.

DSC00919.jpg

A selection of the zinc plated parts

DSC00926.jpg

jeremy_spoke_in

Been making slow progress on my car, i should have my new front suspension on next week.

Can anyone identify the Girling calipers pictured? This photo is with my new 1.9 hubs.

DSC00944.jpg

Below is the bracket on the old 1.6 hubs needed for the calipers to bolt on.

DSC00941.jpg

The car was fitted with wheel spacers to allow this setup. I don't want to use these so i believe its a case of getting some smaller discs to do away with the bracket above and wheel spacers? Could this be the Constella big brake kit? Its only going to be a road car so i think smaller discs will be fine.

Any help would be great.