• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy_spoke_in

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 - The Beginning

jeremy_spoke_in

I have just bought a 6 engine to fit into a 205. I am now on the look-out for a 205 but it has to be the right one.

I have researched this conversion and i think it will be worth all the effort.

Anyway, the engine seems solid and has good history with recent headgasket replacement. I have removed most of the parts attached to the block to clean up and give a coat of paint.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00277.jpg

This yellow gunge/grease was also in the pipe attached to the above. I am hoping someone will tell me not to worry about this but is this not a sign of headgasket failure?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00274.jpg

I plan on replacing cambelt also for piece of mind. I have never attempted this before and i see there are about 3 different kits on servicebox. I think i want the 136 kit can anyone help me out with a part number? How have others tensioned this correctly without the Peugeot specilaist tool?

Hopefully the pics will work and i'll update as i progress

thanks

post-14889-1269101483_thumb.jpg

CosKev

The mayo will prob be from the head gasket,if its recently been changed.

The cambelt should have been done at the same time B)

If you have never changed a cambelt before I would not make the Gti6 one your first attempt,don't need to get it very wrong to make it a costly mistake :huh:

Get a belt kit from GSF,they supply quality kits at half the price of Pug,use the search function on this forum and you will find out alot(including GSF part number you need) :)

Edited by CosKev

jimistdt

According to the ad, it only had the cambelt changed last year; seems a bit uneccessary to me. How close have you got to finding a 205? Was the mayo in the breather pipes? It's to be expected to a degree, if it shows signs of mayo on the dipstick I'd be a bit more concerned.

jeremy_spoke_in

Cambelt was changed when head gasket was done last year so i think this mayo is the remains of that so i think it is ok. It is in the thick pipe coming from this outlet out the front of the engine. I don't really want to strip the engine fully if its not needed. I'll double check the dipstick to make sure there are no signs of it.

I think i'll find someone with more mechanical experience to help with the cambelt change as i want to do it when the engine is out.

I hope to buy a white 1.9 to make the swap a bit easier. If anyone knows any within reasonable travelling distance from Scotland let me know.

Thanks for the replies

jeremy_spoke_in

OK dipstick is clear so i think its ok.

Just been to Pug to get some engine parts for refitting everything.

I asked them for timing kit 0831 48 as i believe this is the 136 tooth version. They have supplied me with 0831 R5 apparently this replaces it.

I can't see this number on servicebox anywhere, does anyone know if this is the one i want?

thanks

jeremy_spoke_in

Quick update:

Timing belt changed (belt, tensioner, roller, waterpump)

Mi16 clutch fitted

many new seals fitted

stripped and painted a few parts

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00812.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00806.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the results considering i haven't sprayed anything before

pugpete1108
Quick update:

Timing belt changed (belt, tensioner, roller, waterpump)

Mi16 clutch fitted

many new seals fitted

stripped and painted a few parts

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00812.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/jer...in/DSC00806.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the results considering i haven't sprayed anything before

i like the white ^_^

hothatch

I really like the white ! Different.

I'm going for a polished finish, I'm starting mine on the weekend, I've spent quite a lot of time accumilating parts and now got enough things to to keep me going for a while.

The timning belts are buggers to get on , especailly my first one which was an 1800 16v 306 in the car ! Find them quite simple now though.

Good thread nice to see you having a good go, will watch with intrest.

Fox

Very nice! Will look great in a white 205!

jim205GTI
:P Nice i like that white and flash of red combo.... almost subtle....

jeremy_spoke_in

Can anyone help me with a part number for this gasket. (photo below) I'd like to replace it if possible.

DSC00286.jpg

thanks

hothatch

I can't help you with part number I'm sorry.

But it looks in condition to me just like mine, I'm not going to bother replacing it tbh with you. I tiny bit of gasket sealant around the outside of it will seal it. I mean a tiny bit aswell, if you put too much on it could sqeeze and ooz in between an restrict flow. But it looks fine. But its up too you.

I love the coulours mate, different and very smart.

jeremy_spoke_in

The pic is a bit deceiving (phone cam), there are a few bits of it pealing away. Its not too bad though so i think a bit of gaset seal and that'll be that. :)

thanks

hothatch

Yeah it should be fine even with a bit deteriated, if you thinkl about it , its not under any major pressures or anything as long as it seals it should be fine, the most its up against is a vaccum when your off the throttle in low gear high in the rev range therfore not being hard too seal.

Did you find the cam cover gaskets after ?

jeremy_spoke_in

I don't think i'm going to replace the rubber cam cover gaskets as they seem to be in good nic and don't look as though they are something which should be removed. I could be wrong.

hothatch

As look as the joins look nice and dry ther will be no needd, I'm only changine mine because it lookeda little damp so it wil only get worse as time goes on. So best do it now !

shalmaneser

just get some gasket paper from your local motor factors and copy the old gasket, will be as good as new and only cost a couple of quid.

jeremy_spoke_in

Picked up my new car on Tuesday night :)

It has an s16 engine in it just now and i am going to run it for a month or so before beginning the engine swap.

However it doesn't always start and needs to be push/jump started. Once its been running it won't start again on its own for a while.

If anyone has any ideas on whats wrong please help i've had a search but someone may be able to help.

Photos tomorro!

CosKev

As above,get some gasket paper from motor factor or E-Bay and make the gasket :D

If you go to Pug to buy them they only sell them in a bag of 10 :)

As look as the joins look nice and dry ther will be no needd, I'm only changine mine because it lookeda little damp so it wil only get worse as time goes on. So best do it now !

You can't get new seals for cam covers :(

You have to buy complete covers with seals prebonded to them B)

jeremy_spoke_in

I didn't think you could buy cam cover gaskets thanks for confirming.

hothatch
As above,get some gasket paper from motor factor or E-Bay and make the gasket :(

If you go to Pug to buy them they only sell them in a bag of 10 :)

You can't get new seals for cam covers :(

You have to buy complete covers with seals prebonded to them B)

i bought mine from peugoet??

jeremy_spoke_in

Ok time for a bit of an update

I have had the car about a month now and it still has a couple of months tax/mot. I have decided to run it for the summer months and do the conversion over winter. It seems a very straight and relatively rust free shell, S16 fitted, 1.6 gearbox with quickshift and it certainly shifts. I took a quick photo today with my phone.

DSC00292.jpg

The only problem is it won't start on the key. I have found the problem which may help others in future.

There is a switch in the car for the fuel pump presumably put in by whoever did the conversion, when i try and start it on the key it won't start. However it will bump start with the ignition on, but won't bump if you turn the key while trying to bump start. Hence how we found out the problem.

The solution was to live wire the switch directly to the battery and it started on the key. I know it did previously start with the current setup, so i am going to change the fuel filter as it looks really old. Failing that, put a non return fuel valve on so there is enough fuel getting in when the key is turned.

So basically the engine wasn't getting enough fuel as when trying to start it cuts the fuel supply the same as a car radio turns off when you start it.

If that doesn't work then the switch will have to be wired to the battery.

hexhamstu

The switch for the pump is wired to the wrong live. Someone else who is better with wiring can probably point you to the original source for the fuel pump, I'm sure its wire 60 something? on one of the brown multi-plugs under the dash.

Edited by hexhamstu

jeremy_spoke_in

Thanks for that. The car has lots of cut wires and plugs which lead to nothing which explains why none of the dials work. But if anyone can point me in the right direction for rewiring the fuel pump switch to a live which doesn't rely on the turn of the key that would be a big help.

Went out to the car again today. Tried starting to see if by a miracle it would start - with no luck.

Changed the fuel filter and it fired first time which is the first in my ownership. Tried to restart and it wouldn't :P

The current setup does work now and again but once it fires once on the key, it won't start again on the key.