• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

New (used) Car Opinions Wanted

mr_exe
Skoda is another good option.

Certainly a better suggestion than a Saab

skinner2k3

Might be looking at a VW Golf GT TDI 150 (PD) this weekend. Anyone had any experience of those?

johno_78

Is this the Mk5? A mate bought one from 18 months old. He's had to replace the clutch and flywheel, which cost a small fortune with VW main dealer prices along with other servicing costs. On the other hand, he's done on average 30k miles/year for the last 5 years and he still loves it.

boombang
Might be looking at a VW Golf GT TDI 150 (PD) this weekend. Anyone had any experience of those?

According to an old mate of mine who's bigtime into 'dubs, the 130 is 99% as quick and less prone to major engine issues.

That said either will do massive miles and do them without drinking fuel.

They love stalling and the engine could be a touch more refined too. Sad to say but the Pug 2.0 Hdi IMHO has the edge on it, just the cars they put it in don't have the badge or following.

Tom Fenton
Sad to say but the Pug 2.0 Hdi IMHO has the edge on it, just the cars they put it in don't have the badge or following.

Or the power, with a mind blowing 90 or 110bhp!

kilauea
One of the marques that we have under our umbrella is Saab, I really like them, but please for christ sake buy one with history and DONT buy a diesel unless it is either a CDTi 120 or a CDTi 150 (GM/Fiat engine) Make sure it has done a few miles as the EGR's can clog very quickly and the engines like to run up on their own oil and go bang if they have not had the DPG regenerated properly (These are also a real pain in the arse!) ;)

Avoid Arc/Linear/Linear Sport (you may as well buy a Vectra SRi/Design)

Go for a Vector/Vector Sport or an Aero if your budget will allow. The 2.8T V6 Aero is fookin awesome.

The dashboards start to creak and the seats show their age very quickly. Check the Aircon & Computer digital screens, they break for fun and are not cheap to replace.

If you want room in the boot, the Sport Wagon is the ONLY choice, as the saloon is VERY poor for access (cant get fook all in it)

Steel grey, Fusion Blue, Laser Red, Saab Silver and Black are the ONLY colours to look at.

Sorry missed this reply but thanks. I am looking at a couple of 9-5 aero's (250bhp). I can get a 50k mile one for around £4.5 - £5k which is a bargain for what you get. I found replacements for the computer and aircon at £30 and £50 repsectively, which isn't too bad. Also the boot on the saloon will swallow a mountain bike easily, which is my only real concern re. luggage.

Good pic of the 450 litre boot on here: http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1534715.htm

andyjstone

I recently bought a Volvo S40 D5 with the R Design trim - wasn't something that I had ever considered, but someone on here (Mei aka Welshpug I think) suggested it and I'm enjoying the experience.

I don't like to go for the normal run of the mill stuff, I prefer something a bit different so this ruled out Mondeos, I considered BMs and Audis, but for the same money the car was ending up about 2 years older with a much lower spec. The Volvo is quite nice to look at and the interior is good too, with ribbed leather seats and the quirky floating dash.

The Volvo is well built and drives well, although it's better on the motorway than on the twisties, it's a great cruiser especially with the D5 engine which is 185bhp as standard (165 on the older ones), although I've had it re-mapped 253hp & 548nm torque :lol:

skinner2k3

I didnt go for the golf in the end, decided they were a little bit too small for all the crap you have to cart round when you have a kid.

Also decided I cant afford an A4 with less mileage than the car I am getting rid of. The idea of parting with thousands to buy a car with more mileage than the car I already own just doesnt feel right. So they are out too.

I am trying to figure out whether I like VW Passats enough to own one, would have to be a TDI Sport 130 and for about £5k thats doable with 80k or less miles.

The other car that has caught my eye, and feel free to point out I am being a complete clot even considering it, is the Alfa 156 JTD Veloce. Surely they must be better these days......mustn't they!!??

andyjstone
The other car that has caught my eye, and feel free to point out I am being a complete clot even considering it, is the Alfa 156 JTD Veloce. Surely they must be better these days......mustn't they!!??

Nope

Miles

VW's arn;t allot better knowing some people who work there, Saying that most modern car's are the same that they cost allot when they go wrong.

I know that A4 and Passet's are quite small which is worth thinking about, I;d say A6 size at least

skinner2k3
Nope

:mellow: Yeah, perhaps I had the rose tinted glasses on. They do look good though.

Miles, I know what you mean. Scary number of bad reviews for the Passat, in fact almost every car I look into. The trouble is with my £1500 Ford Focus I can ignor problems to a certain extent as I dont really care too much for the car. But if I part with a few grand I will care and want to keep on top of anything that needs doing, which sounds chuffing expensive.

I need to have a look and test drive of a Passat to get an idea of the size. They certainly look big enough to me as I am used to a Focus and 205s. A6 looks like a limo.

Anyone got any opinions on Mazda 6 TS2 Diesels (136bhp)???

mr_exe

If you want an Alfa then make sure someone else pays the bills. Don't know about 156's but the 159 has been so far so good.

andyjstone
If you want an Alfa then make sure someone else pays the bills. Don't know about 156's but the 159 has been so far so good.

If you want an Alfa you buy it with your heart not your head - I've had two and loved both of them, but they cost me more money (both in terms of depreciation and keeping them on the road) than any other car and more heartache. I love the fact that every single detail on them is designed, not just slapped in because you need it, they are great places to be in and great to drive, but they go wrong and it can drive you mad - unless you have the passion!

mr_exe

I must be lucky then as my 2008 159 2.4Jtd Company steed has clocked up 70,000 miles which apart from problems with the wipers has been almost faultless. I say get someone else to pay the bills as the servicing cost are horendous and its appetite for front tyres is truly alarming as i've never managed to get 10,000 miles out of a pair yet.

wildejon

Might throw a spanner in the works but I was after a VAG car a few years back. I didn't want to drive a Golf again, (no offence to anyone on here) too common and I couldn't face paying for the badge. An Audi would have been nice but the same principal applied so I bought a 130 bhp 1.9 diesel '04 Leon with 30k on the clocks. It worked out cheaper than the equivalent VW or Audi. It is now at 105k and all I've replaced is a driveshaft. Touch wood, it continues to do so well!

Admittedly, the engine can be pretty noisy but it does the job admirably.

Also, a friend of mine is a jounalist and used to write for car mags, he's driven everything (I'm sooo jealous) and is selling his 350z for a Kia Ceed diesel soon (money saving venture if there ever was one). Might be worth a look, certainly cheap and more refined than you'd think apparently...