• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

New (used) Car Opinions Wanted

skinner2k3

Hoping for some views on used cars. I am looking for a new car in the £5000 to £6000 region. Ideally would like to part X my Focus Tddi Estate in so would need to be from a garage.

It’s the family car so not sure if I should go any smaller than Ford Focus size, need room for things like travel cots, buggies and the like. I do 150 miles a week to work so I think diesel would be a better option, although open to petrol the way diesel prices are going again.

Always fancied an Audi A4 TDI Avant or BMW 320d Touring, preferably the sporty versions. Fancy being a badge snob for once :rolleyes: but can’t help but think if I go for a Ford/Vauxhall I could get a much younger lower mileage car than if I go with Audi/VW/BMW sort of cars.

Any experience of the above cars or ideas of alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Tom Fenton

I replaced my 1999 A4 with an 04 plate A4 1.9 TDi SE Avant at the back end of last year. I paid £4200 for it privately, full service history, and when the previous owner bought it, it was an "approved used audi" from a main dealer. Mileage a bit high at 140k due to having done something like 80k in 2 years, hence the price. However for your budget you will obviously get one with less miles, although I don't know if you will be able to get anything worth having in the newer shape (mine is the 01-04 shape).

I'm really pleased with it, goes better than the 2.5 TDi Quatt it replaced, and will do mid-50's mpg on a run down the motorway, and mid 30's to 40 around town.

If you do look for A4's then bear in mind there are 100, 115 and 130bhp 1.9TDi's out there, the late 130's have a 6 speed box which is worth having (mine has this).

Obviously wanting to px your Focus and so buying from a garage will bump up the price, if the Focus is reasonable condition then why not flog it privately to open up your options when buying the next one?

DrSarty

Everyone - including all 3 Top Gear presenters - raves about Mondeos. I think you could get a decent used one for that kind of dosh.

I suspect a lot cheaper to service and maintain than a Panzer wagon.

skinner2k3

Does seem to be mostly the B6 shape A4s that fall into my price range which I dont mind as I like that shape as much as the new model. Mileage like that doesnt worry me as much on the Audis and BMWs as long as the service history is spot on. Audi seem easier to find in the estate model than the beemer, if a little more expensive.

The Ford mondeo is tempting and having driven a diesel 03 plate back from Wales for a mate I know I liked the drive, its just finding one that stands out a bit. Would love a TDCI ST, but they are difficult to find at lower mileages and my current Ford has put me off high milers due to it falling apart around me :)

RossD

Having driven both a Mondeo TDCI and a passat 1.9 tdi, an A4 1.9 TDi and the newer Jetta with the 105bhp 1.9 lump, I'd go for a Mondeo. The Mondeo does everything better than the VAG cars. I find the 1.9 VAG engine horrid too, yes it can be quite pokey, but it's the most gruff, unrefined rattly engine to be in a modern car. You also dont have the snob premium on the price of the Mondeo that the VAG cars seem to attract! :)

The Arch Bishop

Bit of a risky choice, but I've just bought an absolutely mint 2006 Citroen C4 VTR+ with 13,000 miles for under 6k from an independent garage. It is a 1.6 petrol rather than a prefered diesel but even so, it's a lot of toys and car for the money and they are very nice to drive. Everything does seem to work as well which is a bonus! It happily cruses the moterway at 80 five up with a bootfull.

Tom Fenton
its just finding one that stands out a bit.

This is why I went for another A4 in the end. I've driven my mates 52 reg Mondeo, and although its a nice drive, the A4 is a nicer place to be IMO.

I also wanted an ST estate Mondeo, but having driven one I wasn't that impressed with it over the 130 TDCI, and they were a lot more dough when I was looking, also with potential to nose dive in value at some point.

Although a Mondeo may be slightly cheaper, it will also most likely be worth significantly less when you come to sell it on. My S reg A4 with 170k and not the tidiest example, sold for £1650 last year, compare that to what an S reg Mondeo TD estate is worth.

Each to their own really, drive them both and make your own mind up.

Tom Fenton
I suspect a lot cheaper to service and maintain than a Panzer wagon.

I look after a 52 130 TDCI and a 55 ST TDCI Mondeo for customers, along with my current and previous A4's, there is no signifcant difference, especially in service cost where the genuine VAG filters and oil are cheaper than the Ford stuff.

Mondeo wise if you do go for one don't buy earlier than 03/53-ish- the early ones suffer from the dual mass flywheel failing, which first fcuks up the starter motor, and then needs the box out (big ish job, as its a massive lump and the subframe has to come off) to fit a new flywheel and clutch. The 52 plate one has had a new starter and probably will get sold on by its current owner before the flywheel gets too bad.

DrSarty

Agreed Tom that it's not chalk and cheese.

The car industry has adapted to ensure it retains revenue streams from other areas such as servicing, maintenance and repair whilst being driven to push prices down and being perceived that they have.

I believe they sting you instead with labour costs for real bastard jobs, like changing a clutch on a Focus ST which was one of the worst days of my life. EGR (exhaust gas recycling) systems would be another example. They are created to meet marketing hype about emissions, but gunk up with s*it, make all the warning lights come on which scares people into thinking there's a huge fault, and so they pay through the nose to have them replaced.

I would say for your purpose and motivation here, you just want less hassle and less cost.

On average though I'm betting VAG parts will be more expensive, although they pale into insignificance compared to Peugeot main dealer pricing. :)

I don't like the attitude in VAG dealers either; extremely arrogant.

Personally I would recommend driving both, and then looking at some long term 'lifer' reviews where people have lived with both, and see which appeals to your lifestyle more. Ultimately a car is a car, and you'll be concerned eventually with just how much it costs to keep on the road, how much time it's not in the garage and how easy it is to remove baby vomit from the upholstery.

Ahh the joys of being a parent.

skinner2k3

Ah yes the Dual mass flywheel problem, that is certainly something I would want to steer well clear of.

Deffinately need to get out and drive a few, probably try and drive a few newer low mileage cars too, just to get an gauge on how the older ones have aged.

Less hassle is a factor just not sure which would result in less, a lower mileage Ford or higher mileage Audi.

On autotrader at the moment and have thrown myself a curve ball. Seen a Octavia VRS estate on an 04 plate, with 125k miles on and full skoda service history for £3750. That mileage wouldnt bother me on a diesel with FASH but not so sure on a petrol. I guess the money I save could be put in a "rainy day" account for if/when things go wrong....oh and to pay the extra insurance and fuel :)

mr_exe

The boss's missus has a A3 2.0tdi with the 6 speed box that cost less to service than the Astra s*itehatch she had previous, and its never been any bother. Can't say I cared much for the car when I had to use it recently for a couple of days, but the Bose Stereo upgrade is worth seeking out.

ORB

Hmm, Well, I sell cars for a living, mainly high end retail stuff but we have a large trade centre where we have anything from 2995 -5995.

I judge a car by what it costs me to workshop, keep away from french stuff, they ARE s*it, there is no exception to this rule.

Jap stuff also is not as good as it once was, Nissan is a Renault in disguise, thus stay away.

If I was to spend 6k on a family car and wanted a sensible retail car to be used as the family hack, I would first want to know the miles you are doing? If less than 12 to 15k, get a petrol. Derv cars cost a lot more to buy, you dont get a saving at the pump any more and you have to do the miles to get the return compared to the extra cost of the car VS the petrol car.

Also, nowadays these diesels suffer badly from short runs and stop start driving. The EGR's and the DPF's are a real ball ache.

Fords, Vauxhall and VAG stuff is all good news, GM cars are great value. They may not be as well built as the VAG or the Ford, but they are cheap to maintain and dont give a lot of bother.

Personally, our last second car was a 52 plate Mondeo TDCi Ghia X with all the trimmings. It was awesome for fuel, VERY roomy, but christ it was boring. Well built and solid. I traded it with 150000k and a full history last year for 1500 quid.

We now have an A4 2.4 30 valve V6 SE Tiptronic Avant B5 facelift, Black, big wheels, full leather, climate, tinted glass and everything else you can get on this model. It has 115000 miles, full history with Audi and it is 100% mint. This is an absoloutly fantastic car, beautiful to drive, no rattles, no knocks and like the day it was registered. When we get bored of this one, I WILL buy her either an S4 or if I can find a decent one, an RS4. They really are that good.

Buy one.

(oh, the V6 Audis do have a drink problem though, but I dont care!)

skinner2k3

Thanks ORB, thats brilliant.

I have had the focus for approx 44 months and have taken the mileage from 84k to 125k so that works out at an average of under 10'000 miles per year. Wow, that even suprises me, I thought I did more!

Since deciding it was new car time I have considered allot of cars and seem to be paying more attention than ever to other vehicles on the road (from and asthetic point of view) and have come to the conclusion I find Fords extreamly dull and boreing to look at. Audis still catch my eye the most by a long way.

100'000 miles plus never really worried me too much on a diesel if the history was all there and on schedule, should I have more faith in Petrols?

5dr VW Golf GT TDIs are starting to appeal and fit into the £5K ish budget quite well. They would be 150bhp, to get that performance out of a petrol I would surely spend allot more on fuel even on only 10k miles a year????

DrSarty
I have considered allot of cars and seem to be paying more attention than ever to other vehicles on the road (from and asthetic point of view) and have come to the conclusion I find Fords extreamly dull and boreing to look at. Audis still catch my eye the most by a long way.

You have turned into a women.

kilauea

I have a similar budget and want something comfortable and quite big for commuting and doing distances.

I have been looking at Saab's this last couple of weeks. Some nice cars out there cheap and the two owners in my office swear they are a paragon of reliability. But, in the words of Frances Kray, "You hear such stories reggie!". Quite a few horror stories on the web of multiple returns to get problems fixed and engines seizing up.

Anyone any experience with the swedish saloons?..

boombang
I have a similar budget and want something comfortable and quite big for commuting and doing distances.

I have been looking at Saab's this last couple of weeks. Some nice cars out there cheap and the two owners in my office swear they are a paragon of reliability. But, in the words of Frances Kray, "You hear such stories reggie!". Quite a few horror stories on the web of multiple returns to get problems fixed and engines seizing up.

Anyone any experience with the swedish saloons?..

Read up on Vectras & the GM comment above, very similar parts bin just tarted up to suit the market.

ORB

One of the marques that we have under our umbrella is Saab, I really like them, but please for christ sake buy one with history and DONT buy a diesel unless it is either a CDTi 120 or a CDTi 150 (GM/Fiat engine) Make sure it has done a few miles as the EGR's can clog very quickly and the engines like to run up on their own oil and go bang if they have not had the DPG regenerated properly (These are also a real pain in the arse!) :)

Avoid Arc/Linear/Linear Sport (you may as well buy a Vectra SRi/Design)

Go for a Vector/Vector Sport or an Aero if your budget will allow. The 2.8T V6 Aero is fookin awesome.

The dashboards start to creak and the seats show their age very quickly. Check the Aircon & Computer digital screens, they break for fun and are not cheap to replace.

If you want room in the boot, the Sport Wagon is the ONLY choice, as the saloon is VERY poor for access (cant get fook all in it)

Steel grey, Fusion Blue, Laser Red, Saab Silver and Black are the ONLY colours to look at.

skinner2k3
You have turned into a women.

I dont mind, I have been looking like a Grandad who lost his caravan for the last 4 years in my Focus Ghia!

skinner2k3

I can see me loosing hope and blowing loads of money on the 205 at this rate. There are horror stories or at least very good reasons not to buy most cars.

Tom Fenton

A4, I haven't read any horrors B)

skinner2k3

I think it fairly safe to say that I will be looking for a VAG car of some sort. A4 TDI Estate if one crops up at the right price.

johno_78

If you want to be a badge snob, get a Range Rover.

There are plenty of horror stories abound, but if you choose wisely and are handy with the spanners, costs aren't too bad.

It's the perfect family vehicle, in fact too good, mine has been stolen by the wife now B)

skinner2k3

Bit too big for me. Not really looking for anything requireing much spannering at all (pref none). When I feel the need to get stressed out, swear and shread my knuckles I work on the pug.

ORB

Skoda is another good option.

Paul_13

Volvo FTW!