• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ricey155

205 1.9 Top Speed - What Should I Be Getting ?

Guest Ricey155

ive had 120mph outta my H plate with 83k, what should i be getting ??

Ahl

If you do a search (top right of the forum window) you should be able to find a few posts detailing the what mph you'll get out of each 1000rpm in each gear. If you see what I mean! :(

Someone even made an online calculator that tells you what speed you were doing, depending on your gearbox, tyre size, etc. Very very handy. ^_^

I think a standard 1.9 with 1.9 gearbox works out at about 125mph @ 6000rpm.

Thats assuming your rev counter is accurate though! B)

Alan_M

On a 1.9 box, its 20.9mph per 1000rpm in 5th gear.

So at 6000rpm, you should be doing about 125mph, give or take a few due to speedo error.

Edited by Me_Z205

base-1

mine topped out at an indicated 127, and was not going any further, not for lack of trying!!

this was at brunters btw, im not a fool :(

saveloy

My 205 1.9 TT hit an indicated 140mph.....on axle stands,on my drive. I could kill my mechanic sometimes!

KRISKARRERA
My 205 1.9 TT hit an indicated 140mph.....on axle stands,on my drive. I could kill my mechanic sometimes!

U cheat! there's bugger all resistance with the wheels in the air! :(

Guest Ed1.9Sorrento

this is the most I've had out of mine, 1.9 8v with 1.6 box...

speed2.JPG

Guest Wiggs

I've had my more or less standard 1.9GTi read around 130Mph, takes a long time to get it to read that last 10Mph. It's usually suggested that the top speed of a 1.9GTi is 127Mph.

Ed1.6Sorrento: What's it like driving a 1.9 at that speed with a 1.6 gearbox? I thought that the noise was supposed to be bad enough at legal motorway speeds! Does it get there pretty quick, or at least considerably quicker than the 1.9 gearbox?

jackherer
this is the most I've had out of mine, 1.9 8v with 1.6 box...

speed2.JPG

lol, and people worry that the 1.6 box is too short for the Mi16 FFS! :(

Gaz

My 1.9 will only do 110-115 with the 1.6 box, it wont go past 6000rpm.

Doesnt bother me tho cus I only very rarely go above 90-95mph as I dont fancy losing my license.

Gaz

Guest Wiggs

That's a 1.9 8v with a 1.6 gearbox, but the revs must be slightly out, unless there's no limiter, as it should stop at 6500rpm shouldn't it?

Guest speedygolf205

127mph out of a j reg 1.9

123mph out of a g reg 1.6

1.9 seems to keep goin between 100-120 my 1.6 took ages to get to 123.

Simes

had 126mph when I first got it, on the continent, at roughly 5900rpm and sat on 120 for around 10 minutes until the oil temp started to rise!!

Tend not to go over 100mph due to licence.

Alan_M

Last time i tested the accuracy of the speedo, it seemed to indicate 134mph@6100rpm on my private runway. Thats about 129mph.

Took a loooooooonnnnnggggg time to get there though!

Guest Ed1.9Sorrento

Wiggs, the pic above is my car on the limiter, i didnt hold it there, just long enough to take the pic! and the temperature was rising very fast! by the pic though, it would appear my limiter is set at 6,750? noise isnt that bad, gets quieter after 5,000rpm as i have a magnex system thats noisy around 3-5k.

It does get there extremely quick, you dont realise how fast you are going sometimes, just pulls and pulls, great fun.

gearing is very short, doing around 70mph the revs are at 4,000, almost need a sizth gear/longer 5th gear, but its worth it for the acceleration. Had a few goes against standard 1.9GTi's and beat them by a long way acceleration wise.

cheers :(

Guest Wiggs

Hmm... Might get a 1.6 gearbox to have a play now! :(

I assume it wouldn't really be of much benefit to put a 1.6 gearbox in my Turbo Technics though, being as that already flies to the limiter quickly with the 1.9 gearbox?

Guest Overboost

MI16 with Diesel gearbox, 120MPH @ 4250RPM

70MPH @ 2750RPM - nice fuel saver as I do a lot motorway miles to work and back.

Not sure what the top end will be as I doubt it would pull to 6500RPM as 5th is really high geared, hense the above figures.

Surprisingly it istn't numb in the lower gears, these don't seem too different to the MI box i had on previous, its not until you hit 4th that things begin to spread out alot.

Guest bedders
MI16 with Diesel gearbox, 120MPH @ 4250RPM

70MPH @ 2750RPM - nice fuel saver as I do a lot motorway miles to work and back.

Not sure what the top end will be as I doubt it would pull to 6500RPM as 5th is really high geared, hense the above figures.

Surprisingly it istn't numb in the lower gears, these don't seem too different to the MI box i had on previous, its not until you hit 4th that things begin to spread out alot.

lol u should be able to get over 150mph at 6000 RPM :D

I think id have ti have a try just once ;)

Guest dansharp

no bull - i know rally boys that have had 140 out of a 1600 on gravel tyres, i also know people that rev their engines to 8000rpm, so that may be something to do with that!

dan

Guest Bigj
no bull - i know rally boys that have had 140 out of a 1600 on gravel tyres, i also know people that rev their engines to 8000rpm, so that may be something to do with that!

dan

No Bull- anyone with a forest rally car setup to do 140mph is going to loose out to a properly set up gravel car.

even WRC cars don't pull 140 on gravel very often and they've got 300 bhp +

John

Guest Danny_boy83

on an E reg 1.9 i've had 137 well so what the speedo said it was on 6500 revs flat out down the M3

Guest RALLYPUG

No bulls*it.........

Had 135 mph from my 1.9 f reg 205 gti,totally standard and it was still picking up speed.Can't tell you where( :( ) but my mate Guy Doyle was with me.When we drove away the car juddered like f*ck and I thought I'd killed it.But an hour later it was fine.This was back in the day...1995... :P

The reg was F258 OMO if anyone has it.

Guest RALLYPUG

Must add that i'm no boy racer and never have been.

I sh1t my pants and it was a lesson learned. :(

Guest simmy

on the continent i've only ever managed to scrape 120 with my 1.9 on a 1.6 box, and that was going down a fookin hill!!! had my speedo recalibrated for my 17" wheels so i know its gotta be pretty accurate. how are ppl managin any higher on the flatland?? lol, ah well.... i'll have to try harder next time!

1.6 box can be a tad annoying if ur in a rush on the motorway but i used to own a mini, so with a loud exhaust n only 4 gears i'm used to it! lol. The 1.6 box was perfect at TRAX the other weekend, was hitting a bit over 100 on the main and back straights, still had cossies n supras flying past though :(

nevermind hey... roll on Tuned Mi16!!!

C_W
on the continent i've only ever managed to scrape 120 with my 1.9 on a 1.6 box, and that was going down a fookin hill!!! had my speedo recalibrated for my 17" wheels so i know its gotta be pretty accurate. how are ppl managin any higher on the flatland?? lol, ah well.... i'll have to try harder next time!

Because I would say you have the wrong gear box for the power delivery! The 1.9 8v doesn't like to rev (usually), mine certainly didn't like much more than 6k, though other people seem to have got past that in 5th!

120mph is not bad with a 1.9 with a 1.6 gearbox.

No bulls*it.........

Had 135 mph from my 1.9 f reg 205 gti,totally standard and it was still picking up speed.Can't tell you where( [wink.gif] ) but my mate Guy Doyle was with me.When we drove away the car juddered like f*ck and I thought I'd killed it.But an hour later it was fine.This was back in the day...1995... [wink.gif]

The reg was F258 OMO if anyone has it.

Is that in the Manchester area? It seems a very familiar plate. Was it red?

Sign in to follow this