• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Daily Driver: 205 Gti

Joshy

I was/am going through a phase where I don't really want to drive my 205 around. A mixture of stiff suspension, bucket seats and the poorly maintained roads of South East London put me off. 90% of the time, I just want to get in my car, put my music on and just drive, but I feel like I just can't do this in my GTI. Driving it requires a bit too much effort on my part. Of course for that odd 10% when I really want to drive, when I have the chance to poke the throttle a bit this car never, ever fails to put a smile on my face. But opportunities like that are few and far between, at least seeing how I want to keep my license clean.

Put it this way, today I sat in my 205 XS with goodwood leather seats. 6 months ago (before I bought the GTI) I was looking to replace that because I found it uncomfortable, honestly driving my GTI around for 5 or so months made that XS seem like a Bentley in the comfort stakes. Soft seats, light clutch pedal, and having an actual interior surround me made me feel so comfortable, and this is a car that I wanted rid of because I didn't think it was comfortable enough.

As a Toy, I think GTIs are great and I do enjoy driving mine. Properly. But as a daily, as a cruising car that is going to spend ages in traffic, navigating speed humps and pot holes, I think you can do better. That's why I'm beginning to think that my 205 days are limited - Even with the goodwood seats, a new interior and revised suspension, I can't ever see it being truly comfortable :P.

supersub14
You must get people trying too, it can't just be me... can it? Maybe I am a victim to the bully racing culture :lol:

happens me too. As im the only one round my area with a Gti theres always someone fancing a go at the traffic lights

timb1046

i had mine as a daily driver for just over a year. i could use one as a daily commuter again with ease, the problem i have is when i need to take people somewhere, now its not going to happen due to the lack of seats etc. BUT when it did have seats it was still a hassle. so when the ol' girl gets back on the road she'll be used as a daily driver for the commute to work. but any other 'daily driving' will be taken care of by another member of the fleet, most probably the vectra

Richie

It helps that my other half has a nice reliable VAG car so if we need to get somewhere important (ie airport or something) the 205 can stay at home. I hope the MOT goes well on Friday :lol:

madspikes

I've had the superchargered pug as my daily driver since October, and I'm quite happy to keep on doing so. Its no worse on fuel than the old Mazda 626 I had while to pug was off the road. The pug started every morning during the really cold weather and most faults I've had are just down to it not moving for 2 years, or just bugs being knocked out the system after the rebuild. Its great as my 15 mile trip to work is all A and B roads...

I wouldnt cart my family around in it, but I'm happy use it everyday for work etc.

Mad.

labrat

Yup ... every day.

Great fun and frugal to boot !

Exhaust and suspension choices are key ;-)

Tom Fenton
You must get people trying too, it can't just be me... can it? Maybe I am a victim to the bully racing culture ^_^

I get this quite often, mostly Vectra/Passat TDI's. Back when the car was a standard 1600 they would beat me every time. These days I have the last laugh!

chocolate_o_brian
I get this quite often, mostly Vectra/Passat TDI's. Back when the car was a standard 1600 they would beat me every time. These days I have the last laugh!

^_^

scottish_lion

205's are great daily drivers.

I used to commute 90 odd miles a day in my 1.9, and it never did less than 36 mpg. And that was on the motorway at very high sustained speeds, then through town.

I think mine has a diesel gearbox fitted though, so at 100mph, it's only doing 4000 revs, so I always thought it was quite refined...

Also seats and driving postition are really comfy imo.

Excessive noise is the only thing, so sometimes I'd use earplugs.

Yes it'll piss you off on occasions, but I cant wait to get mine on the road again :)

Oh, and just race them if they want their ass kicked...

CaptainK

Your 205 was lovely Leo (Scottish Lion). Was funny that CB radio chat we had about our engine revs, gears and speed whilst cruising around europe. Despite yours having the diesel gearbox, it still performed very well and wasn't that far behind my GTi6 at the time.

mikebullock84

my dimma is my daily driver since dec, though things took a turn for the worse when i ditched the car in the snow in jan! all fixed now. I do have a company van so i dont drive it to work, so it dont really count as a daily driver, unless i want to go to the gym, shop, cash point (4miles away-yes i live in the country!)

It needs some adjustment though if i want to enjoy driving it this summer, like its fitted with a 1.6 box, so il have to fit a 1.9 box as it seems to be so stressed out at about 70mph, also ive got a magnex system, with a 4''back box, which is being changed next week for a o/e spec, its way too noisy and 'boyracery' at the moment, im deaf at 60 and upwards

...and ive got avo coilovers on the front, which handles great, but the pot holes and rough roads here in herefordshire have cracked my sills where they bond into the front wings :lol:

Retro Pug

I use mine pretty much every day, I usually find an excuse to take it somewhere! :)

rescue dude
...and ive got avo coilovers on the front, which handles great, but the pot holes and rough roads here in herefordshire have cracked my sills where they bond into the front wings :)

The potholes are great fun here aren't they.............NOT

Can't say i've seen a Dimma by me but it is a big County.

BERTMAN

ive been using 205's as my daily hack for 2-3 years now...

Richie

Failed its mot on a washer jet and an exaust bracket :lol: ah well, will be on the road next week with tax, test, and fresh cambelt :)

pug_ham

I haven't used a 205 GTI for my sole daily driver for approx 12 years now but I was running a 205 STDT in this job before I replaced it with my 306 hdi.

I have put my GTI to use as my daily drive when I've been working on my normal daily drive in this roll & its always been great.

Like Henry, mine is AFM free so doesn't suffer the bouncy idle etc & even with Koni's, group N top rubber up front, fixed bucket seats, group N tarmac rear shocks, 20mm tb's & solid mounts on the back its still a comfy drive & copes with it per4fectly whichever route i choose to take to my destination.

Graham.

mikebullock84
The potholes are great fun here aren't they.............NOT

Can't say i've seen a Dimma by me but it is a big County.

im north herefordshire mate, live in the Kington area, right on the border to Powys, its crazy its just 4miles into Powys from my house, as soon as you seen the sign welcome to WALES, you are welcomed by fresh tarmac, well maintained ditches (no standing water on the roads) and pretty much zero potholes!

pugdamo

I use mine every day,have done for the last 18months. Im not exactly gentle on it and it hasnt given me any problems except cutting out at junctions but that happens once in a blue moon now. Iv had 205's since passing my test then i bought a v plate 306 hdi before my current 205 because i thought i needed to get a sensible car but that didnt last long untill i got bored of that,and got another 205.

new cars are alot more comfortable and quiet but they just havnt got the fun factor like the old trusty 205,i say do it.

Ben_M

I've used mine as a daily driver for 8 YEARS! no real problems ..starter, Alternator and coolent hose split. other than that not even a clutch.

In the last 2 years of ownership I fitted a standard GTI-6 (VTS) and VTS gb. and have covered more then 15,000 mile since without a problem.

Electrics are all fine! so I dont know why all the complaints about eletric faults. but the noise is a bit much, but not as loud after fitting the GTI-6 ! However my other car is a Evo so noise and comfort really is not a problem.

yeti-dj

my 205 mi16 is the only car i have own and use every day with very few problems, keep thinking of buying something else but never get round to it, my ex used to also daily drive a 1.6 gti with a 405 diesel engine in it until we split up and she traded it in on the scrap-age scheme for a new Clio, a lovely little white non-sunroof, full leather interior,1.9 speedlines and the least amount of rust i have ever seen on a 205 crushed, a real shame the bi*ch!!!!

scottish_lion

I actually find that a little heartbreaking!

Jackman

I used mine for well over a year as a daily, but i can't see it happening again now!

Matteo

Yes, my 205 is my daily driver :P

post-13321-1266692083_thumb.jpg

The only problem is in summer time, as I have no A/C and in Italy summer is hot :)

sideways danny

I ran my 1.9 as a daily for nearly 8 years, and more recently my 1.6 for 18 months. i've done huge mileage in them and will do again. 1.6 could be on the road easily, i just got behind with maintenance on it and moved home and work all at the same time, so it suffered some neglect. I'll have it back on the road when i drop a 1.9 in it (i really do dislike the xu5)

davey205
I haven't used a 205 GTI for my sole daily driver for approx 12 years now but I was running a 205 STDT in this job before I replaced it with my 306 hdi.

I have put my GTI to use as my daily drive when I've been working on my normal daily drive in this roll & its always been great.

Like Henry, mine is AFM free so doesn't suffer the bouncy idle etc & even with Koni's, group N top rubber up front, fixed bucket seats, group N tarmac rear shocks, 20mm tb's & solid mounts on the back its still a comfy drive & copes with it per4fectly whichever route i choose to take to my destination.

Graham.

afm free? taking the afm off cures the bouncy crappy idle ?