• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

My 205 Is Off The Road........again

Galifrey
Use an engine crane to support/hold the engine and swing it forward, gives you much more room for the exhaust manifold bolts and makes it alot easier to do

Cant you lift the head off with the manifold attached (undoing the 2 downpipe bolts?)

DrSarty
Cant you lift the head off with the manifold attached (undoing the 2 downpipe bolts?)

Yes. I've even done it with a Maniflow fitted - off and back on again. :P

(OT) Just wish it was possible with the head still attached to the engine as well; Silky's advice is tip top for that Turkish.

Galifrey
Silky's advice is tip top for that Turkish.

What? "Proper" Tip Top?

:P

kyepan
At the end of the day, it comes down whether I want to do it (I don't), and whether I'm better off trusting someone more experienced to do a good quality job (I am better off). Money is always an issue, and I am a tight c*nt, but it's better to know your limitations.

decision made.

Now man up and stop whining like a little girl (that's my job), and get back to flaming newbies with dry wit.

also come to the curry on friday! would be good to see ya

J

GLPoomobile
Use an engine crane to support/hold the engine and swing it forward, gives you much more room for the exhaust manifold bolts and makes it alot easier to do

1 - I just said that I've experienced removing an Mi exhaust manifold whilst out of the car, and don't fancy doing it in the car. How does an engine crane solve an inherently awkward design trait? :)

2 - I live in a one bedroom flat and my car is parked on the road, often not nearby. Hence I don't own a crane, and renting one is not really practical. I'd have to chain it to the car every time I need to go for a piss :D

3 - Alot isn't a word :lol:

But that aside, thanks for the suggestion :P

Nothing more will be happening for a good few weeks as I'm far too busy. But in the new year I'll set aside 30 minutes to do a comp test, since Tom Fenton suggested this in my topic about the starter (where I said I thought this was causing my starting problems). I don't see the point really as it's plainly obvious the gasket is failing, but it'll bring some closure to that topic.

In the mean time you can all feel free to continue spamming up the topic with pointless suggestions about how I can replace a head gasket that I have no interest in doing myself, but I suppose it will serve as another resource for any other members who've never seen one of the other hundreds of topics about replacing a head gasket. This was supposed to be me fishing for some sympathy in a classic case of "awwww, poor old GLP is whinging about his car again. He does have such rotten luck....but he probably deserves it as he's such a c*nt" sort of thing :D But all you lot are interested in doing is coaxing me in to going outside in to the cold and wet and doing some work. Well fuuuuuuuuuk you :P

DrSarty

Awesome! The old GLP is back. :rolleyes:

F*ck you too you lazy-arse c*nt!

Now we're gonna end up with 230 threads saying how great Dan Taylor is. B)

And yes, I know; 'gonna' isn't a word either.

:huh:

Tesstuff

GLP, you know the stuff we often talk about on pm?

LOL!!!

Awesome fella :rolleyes:

marksorrento205
:rolleyes:

DaveW

What new year will that be? :lol:

Silky
1 - I just said that I've experienced removing an Mi exhaust manifold whilst out of the car, and don't fancy doing it in the car. How does an engine crane solve an inherently awkward design trait? :lol:

2 - I live in a one bedroom flat and my car is parked on the road, often not nearby. Hence I don't own a crane, and renting one is not really practical. I'd have to chain it to the car every time I need to go for a piss :lol:

3 - Alot isn't a word :lol:

But that aside, thanks for the suggestion :D

Move out to somewhere with a garage or driveway ?!

Ok, so it's not ideal but it's a suggestion

pablo

spend the money on a hooker, cheer the f**k up, and get stuck in. Job done.

GLPoomobile
Move out to somewhere with a garage or driveway ?!

Ok, so it's not ideal but it's a suggestion

:lol:

"Hey Dear, you know how much you love living in this flat that we pay well under the going rate for? Well I think we should move to a bigger place that costs much more than we can afford, cos I really need to replace my head gasket, and having a drive would make it so much easier"

Yeah, I think she might just go for that.

dcc

I am sure you can get the head off the block with the manifold attached. it is about a 3-4 hour job with somebody who knows what they are doing helping you (I mean to get the head off properly and without disturbing liners etc...)

Paul_13

It's bad enough working on a gravel drive, f*ck doing it on the roadside in London!

kyepan
It's bad enough working on a gravel drive, f*ck doing it on the roadside in London!

i work mostly on a gravel drive, the odd hour spent panicked, finding the rare as rocking horse s*it and essential nut i dropped down the side of the engine... is the hour or two i love best when working on my car.

has it landed in the gap between the left hand engine mount and the body?

or is it on the drive?

has it landed on top of an oil breather pipe?

Can i remember how many clunks i heard?

Can i guess which bits of car it bounced off and where it landed?

having experienced all of the above, i can assure you working on a gravel drive is like trapese without a suitable saftey net.

GPL your priorities are clearly wrong, owning a 205 is about fixing it, not driving it. Give yourself the space to enjoy your 205 properly.

J

Paul_13

:lol:

How very true and funny!

pablo

christ I know that feeling on a gravel drive. Trying to do pythagarus to work out the angle of bounce on that critical funny threaded nut.

maturin23

Justin - gravel drive pah - nothing compares to working on a bike on an unkempt lawn. :lol: Those ball bearings are a bugger to find in 6 inches of ryegrass.... :(

hexhamstu

The gravel drive thing, I always try dropping another bolt, in exactly the same way, and follow it. It's only worked once. :lol:

BusEngineer
The gravel drive thing, I always try dropping another bolt, in exactly the same way, and follow it. It's only worked once. :(

Now that made me laugh out loud!! Kind of glad im the only one in because im very sure the other half would not understand why!!! :lol:

maturin23
Nothing more will be happening for a good few weeks as I'm far too busy.

If you're not doing the bloody job yourself why don't you just get it done straight away? "I might do a compression test at some point in 2010" - you'll be bald before you get a chance to drive it properly at this rate :lol:

GLPoomobile

I'm already going bald :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't be such a dong Ian. Do you really think I can afford to get it done at this time of year? Did you not notice it's Christmas time?

Yes, I might do a compression test some time in 2010. I'm f***ing busy at the moment. I don't like the fact that I've been run off of my feet for the last few weeks, working 12 hour days in Hatfield and Redhill, then doing more work at home, staying up to 5am writing up process documents, then having to try and fit in buying Christmas presents, and sort a few things on the car in the cold and dark prior to driving up to Scotland the other day. So when I get back from my holiday, hopefully I might have some spare f***ing time to myself and be able to do something, but that all depends on work.

Whatever happens, whether I fix it myself (highly unlikely) or pay someone else to do it, it won't be happening for another few months. If I do it myself I'll have to wait for the weather to be at least warm enough that I can feel my fingers. If I pay someone else to do it then it'll have to wait until I get my next bonus, which will be in 3 months.

I'll continue using it for essential things, as long as it the gasket holds up and it isn't putting too much coolant in the oil (I'll do an oil change and see how bad it is first of all). And in the meantime I'll try (work permitting) and crack on with some of the simpler jobs that are really getting on my wick now. Such as the noisy passenger door CL motor, the useless 307 mist washer jets, re-wrapping my loom, sorting the creaks and rattles in the interior, getting my warning lights working etc etc.

If anyone else thinks life is so simple, please feel free to stump up the cash for me to fix this now, or come around and change my head gasket for me on the street, and show us all how clever you are :angry:

EDIT: Don't take that rant personally Ian. I'm not in a very tolerant frame of mind at the moment. I'm actually not even that upset about the car - I'm bloody surprised at myself at how calm I've been since the journey up to Scotland - I'm just very tired from work, and feeling quite arsey.

Edited by GLPoomobile

hexhamstu
Such as the noisy passenger door CL motor, the useless 307 mist washer jets, re-wrapping my loom, sorting the creaks and rattles in the interior, getting my warning lights working etc etc.

You going to buy a new car?

GLPoomobile

Funnily enough, the last topic I viewed right before clicking back on this one was was Maxi's For Sale topic for his black GTi6. Nice looking car that. Tempted :rolleyes: But no, as I've said many times before, got too much money sank in this lemon to give up now. I have to start reaping something back from it sooner or later. It's a f***ing ball and chain around my ankle.

Edited by GLPoomobile