• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Ecu Temp Sensor Part No.

davey205

i can't find the b*gger just quite a bit of dirt and gunk argh

welshpug

what year is your car Davey?

welshpug

look down the back next the the exhaust manifold.

davey205
look down the back next the the exhaust manifold.

i still cant see it lots of grease and grime there went to pug and they gave me part no 0242.86, am thinking its probably for a tu :-(

Edited by davey205

Anthony
i still cant see it lots of grease and grime there went to pug and they gave me part no 0242.86, am thinking its probably for a tu :-(

If it is down the back (which is should be on a 91/H) then it can be quite difficult to see - it's the only 2-pin plug on the back of the thermostat housing though, so you should be able to find it if you have a feel around.

The new sensor looks correct at a glance, although I can't get on Servicebox to cross-reference the part number.

pug_ham

H plate is the start of the change over from the block under the dizzy with the sensor in to it being in the back of the thermostat housing next to the guage sensors.

This topic has a picture I posted which might help you find its location if you have the later thermostat housing.

Easy way to check is to follow the hose from the side of the thermostat housing, if it is one hose to the bulkhead you have the later style with the sensor in the thermo housing.

Graham.

davey205

poo it was the wrong sensor - looked right from outside so took the gamble but the one that was in there is long and thin and this sensor is short and stubby so it wont go in i need the one with the green plug. While on the subject i noticed my sad had slipped off its bracket ..... what size nuts do i need ?

Edited by davey205

pug_ham
poo it was the wrong sensor - looked right from outside so took the gamble but the one that was in there is long and thin and this sensor is short and stubby so it wont go in i need the one with the green plug.

I agree that the you have the wrong number for the 1.6/1.9 GTI engine though imo, looking on service box it is from a TU engine & I think the one you need is 0242 46.

See miami stu's parts website here or here.

Are you sure its green? The CTS is usually a blue sensor on a 1.6 or 1.9 GTI.

The green ones are only on the later S16 / GTI-6 engines afaik.

While on the subject i noticed my sad had slipped off its bracket ..... what size nuts do i need ?

The SAD is usually held bolted to the thermo or CTS housing by two M6 x 10 bolts iirc.

The downloads in Dr Sarty's topicUseful **xu** Engine Reference Booklets might help in future.

Graham.

chocolate_o_brian

Gonna pick peoples brains here if I may. Right, swapped the sensor and other SAD over, used tape on the knackered plaugs as a stop gap. The car ran beautifully with no weird revs up until yesterday when it started sitting at 1500rpm continuously again. So I fiddled with the taped on plug on the temp sensor and it went back down. Then decided to cut the wires off the knackered plug and solder on the new plug which simes sent. The colours didn't match but I made a note of which colour went on which side (with the plug obviously the right way up in correspondance with the knackered one).

This seemed to work for a short period, but rather than idle around 900-1000rpm, it was between 900-1200rpm. Then last night it started sitting at 1500rpm again ffs :):D .

So comes this morning and I'm taking the Mrs to work. Starts up fine, and sits at around 1500rpm again. Thought I'd let it warm up before I go mental at the bloody thing. For some reason it's doing it intermittently, totally randomly, even when the car was driven for about 10 miles.

Now I know the plug that goes onto the back of SAD is also knackered and held on with tape, but I have another spare plug which I'm gonna cut the wires to and solder as soon as it's light outside. It's definitely affecting the cars mpg again as its dropping like a stone.

Aside from this plug I'm gonna change, what else could it possibly be (if the problem isn't solved)??

Starting to come to the end of my tether to be brutally honest as I can't afford to be dumping un burn;t fuel onto her majesty's highways :)

chocolate_o_brian

UPDATE:

Popped down a mates to borrow his soldering iron and came back up to mine. Car's idle was still intermittant and around 1000-1700rpm even when warm.

So cut the old plug off along with slimy electricians tape and cleaned the wires up best I could. Got the new plug off Simes and got it all soldered and covered with rubber shrink pipe. Nice clean job just like yesterday and the plug clipped in a treat.

Then... started the car up and the bloody thing wouldn't idle at anything under 2,000+ :lol: . FFS I thought, so I adjusted the screw on the top of the ait flow meter by about 1 turn inwards and clockwiseand the revs dropped to about 1000-1100 which was a lot more acceptable. I let her idle and warm up to temp for a couple mins and blipped the throttle to see if it would cut out when the revs dropped sharply. All good so I took a deep breath and took her for a drive.

Did a trip up a long local hill at no more than 77mph ( :lol: ) and back down again, the oil upto about 90 deg by then. Car didn't stall at any roundabouts or junctions, even when I put the manual fans on.

Got her home and car was idling at a steady 1050-1100rpm, so gave the screw about 1/8 of a turn clockwise and she purred nicely (well with a tappety top end LOL).

I'm in the process of letting her cool down and then doing a couple or errands to see what she's like from cold.

I'm starting to think... that 'cos the connection plug on the SAD has never been great (and the air plug has been altered several times in the past), this is what caused the surge in revs when a good solid connection was made. That would kinda explain the high but steady revs and it's a case of seeing how she drives for a few days from both cold and warm.

Defo got to get her set up though now the temp sensor and SAD seem to be working and are plugged in correctly.

Any comments or suggestions as to why the revs went mental are greatly appreciated (and sought :lol: ).

Simes

Give it a few days then revisit.

ps. I've got a complete fan loom if you want it (plug and play), it will stop the likelyhood of an engine fire if you use that manual (without relay) set up you have. :)

welshpug

now you've got it to actually run, its a good idea to start from scratch with the Throttle stop settings, then re-set the TPS (inc checking it actually works electrically not just clicking)

then the Throttle bypass screw to set the idle speed, and get a garage to set the Emissions with the AFM screw.

chocolate_o_brian
now you've got it to actually run, its a good idea to start from scratch with the Throttle stop settings, then re-set the TPS (inc checking it actually works electrically not just clicking)

then the Throttle bypass screw to set the idle speed, and get a garage to set the Emissions with the AFM screw.

Thats exactly what I'm gonna be popping down to Skip Brown for in the new year mate. Gonna get them to check the above and make sure she's running as best she can with nearly 148k miles.

Simon, you've seen it yourself - the fan wiring. I darenlt touch it to be fair as I hate electrics. If you keep the wiring to one side I'll take it off your hands when I have some pennies and will get a garage to fit it. I don't fancy an engine fire LOL.

welshpug

no need to go all that way just for that, you can do it yourself with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

chocolate_o_brian
no need to go all that way just for that, you can do it yourself with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

Couple of other things I need checking over too to be fair and theres a couple other members on here who want to pop down too.

Simes
Thats exactly what I'm gonna be popping down to Skip Brown for in the new year mate. Gonna get them to check the above and make sure she's running as best she can with nearly 148k miles.

Simon, you've seen it yourself - the fan wiring. I darenlt touch it to be fair as I hate electrics. If you keep the wiring to one side I'll take it off your hands when I have some pennies and will get a garage to fit it. I don't fancy an engine fire LOL.

No worries.....although it takes about 2 minutes to fit!

chocolate_o_brian
No worries.....although it takes about 2 minutes to fit!

My concerns being how long the current hash will take to dismantle LOL :wacko:

mhyphenl
My concerns being how long the current hash will take to dismantle LOL :)

Just a quick note and to check I'm correct. On the Jetronic and motronic systems, the temp sensor governs the fueling but the SAD and air in general govern the idle speed. If the Sad isn't attached to the thermo housing properly and particularly if the connector is dodgy the apeture in the SAD won't close properly cutting off the extra air and hence extra revs. I know on my car I've had many idle problems even after replacing bits, had a smoke test and found loads of holes, so leaks, in the air system. Almost impossible to spot but crucial to proper running!

chocolate_o_brian
Just a quick note and to check I'm correct. On the Jetronic and motronic systems, the temp sensor governs the fueling but the SAD and air in general govern the idle speed. If the Sad isn't attached to the thermo housing properly and particularly if the connector is dodgy the apeture in the SAD won't close properly cutting off the extra air and hence extra revs. I know on my car I've had many idle problems even after replacing bits, had a smoke test and found loads of holes, so leaks, in the air system. Almost impossible to spot but crucial to proper running!

Wouldn't suprise me. Cars been the most unreliable vehicle I've owned (but the most fun when working), so it would be a shame for it to start working 100% now :)

Did 205.8 miles this week and used 37.61 litres. works out at 24.88 mpg which is a slight improvement on 21-22 last week and the weeks before. That is pootling around town and doing 10 mile journeys on cold mornings so to be expected if the oils not upto temp.

davey205

mine was running perfectly till i cleaned it with redex and now its all crappy idle out comes the screwdriver

chocolate_o_brian

Happy new year everyone :(

Well couple days have passed and she's still idling well. Little irrational when stone cold but after a min or so she's fine and dandy. So it seems thats sorted now.

Only I have a feeling she's running rich, so as Welshpug suggested, I'm gonna take her to my local MOT station and get the air/fuel mixture sorted out. Usually I could manage about 50 miles before the needle moved from the full position (as I brim it every week). But with the crappy fueling she's been doing 34-35max and was the same today. Plus you can smell the petrol killing the polar bears :lol:

So will hopefully get her fueling sorted and then look to go to Skip Browns in a few weeks for some 205 therapy :(

davey sprocket
Happy new year everyone :lol:

Well couple days have passed and she's still idling well. Little irrational when stone cold but after a min or so she's fine and dandy. So it seems thats sorted now.

Only I have a feeling she's running rich, so as Welshpug suggested, I'm gonna take her to my local MOT station and get the air/fuel mixture sorted out. Usually I could manage about 50 miles before the needle moved from the full position (as I brim it every week). But with the crappy fueling she's been doing 34-35max and was the same today. Plus you can smell the petrol killing the polar bears :rolleyes:

So will hopefully get her fueling sorted and then look to go to Skip Browns in a few weeks for some 205 therapy :D

Well I changed the same sensor on mine the other day. Hopefully I'll get better than the 18mpg I got from the last tank :rolleyes:

Does seem a bit better behaved than before but if you do a short trip, stop for a few minutes and then start her up again, she goes back to the 2000rpm malarky again.

I managed to damage the blue plug on the wiring, or more specifically the metal spring clip bit that holds it in place (it caught on my sweater as I pulled my arm out of the depths :angry: ), its nothing like as secure as it was before, so I'll have to keep an eye on the plug to make sure it doesn't work its way off the sensor.

Like you, I need to look at the mixture on mine. Has anyone any experience of the Colourtune things?? I'd rather be able to have a go myself.

I've realised that the little blanking plug is still in place over the throttle stop screw on mine, so it looks like its never been adjusted unless someone was very carefull putting it back in!?

davey205

mine is irrational for 1st 1 - 2 mins when stoned cold but after needle gets past first bar shes fine.

Sign in to follow this