• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Ecu Temp Sensor Part No.

chocolate_o_brian

Hi guys. Looked today under the advice from Simon (Simes) at my ECU temp sensor and the plug is fubared. So I'm gonna change the sensor for good measure (as my idle is awful as well as my mpg) and either source a replacement plug or solder the terminals on.

Looking through both Stuart McGuires online page and Servicebox I can;t for the life of me find the part no. to give to GSF, Peugeotspares etc.

The car is an '88 (registered Nov) phase 1.5 1.9GTi. Thats all I know, dunno about what ECU it has but assume its totally standard.

Help would be great so I can sort as much out as poss before booking in with Skip Brown to sort general running problems out. :)

Anthony

GSF part number for the ECU temp sensor is B93490, and last time I bought one it was about a tenner or so :lol:

Edit - just checked, it's £10.70 plus VAT.

Edited by Anthony

chocolate_o_brian
GSF part number for the ECU temp sensor is B93490, and last time I bought one it was about a tenner or so :lol:

Excellent Anthony, thanks. Do they do different ones??

Just looked Anthony and I apologise if this is naive but is the ECU temp sensor a water sensor? If so I had no idea.

Also on the coolant gauge on the dash it does rise and drop dependant on the temp. Does this mean its not broken?

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Anthony
Just looked Anthony and I apologise if this is naive but is the ECU temp sensor a water sensor? If so I had no idea.

Also on the coolant gauge on the dash it does rise and drop dependant on the temp. Does this mean its not broken?

The sensor is what the ECU uses to measure engine (coolant) temperature. When it breaks, it typically reads cold all the itme, causing the ECU to run cold-start enrichment all the time, ruining fuel economy.

The gauge on the dash uses a different coolant sensor to the ECU, so the fact that it's reading correctly doesn't mean that the other sensor is working.

chocolate_o_brian
The sensor is what the ECU uses to measure engine (coolant) temperature. When it breaks, it typically reads cold all the itme, causing the ECU to run cold-start enrichment all the time, ruining fuel economy.

The gauge on the dash uses a different coolant sensor to the ECU, so the fact that it's reading correctly doesn't mean that the other sensor is working.

Thanks Anthony, thought it must do. So the temp sensor is still worth changing along with the plug if possible. I'll get onto it ASAP see what difference it makes. :lol:

Anthony

Typically you get about 20-22mpg with a broken sensor, and 28-32mpg when it works. So yes, very much worth doing!

If you've got a mulitmeter you can test the sensor to see if it's working properly - resistance should be about 2400 ohm at 20 degrees odd, and change as the engine warms up. If it doesn't, then it's fubar. That said, for the sake of a tenner I'd replace it as a matter of course if it's original and then it's definately ruled out.

chocolate_o_brian
Typically you get about 20-22mpg with a broken sensor, and 28-32mpg when it works. So yes, very much worth doing!

One thing I have noticed is that if I drive the car for longer journeys, the mpg may rise to around 26-28. But this could be 20-30 miles of continuous driving so the oils upto temp. In the summer it was around 30 on motorways.

Also on cold start up it sounds like its on 3 cylinders until the oil pressure builds up, wonder if thats to do with it or something else I can have fun with :lol:

m@ttc
Hi guys. Looked today under the advice from Simon (Simes) at my ECU temp sensor and the plug is fubared. So I'm gonna change the sensor for good measure (as my idle is awful as well as my mpg) and either source a replacement plug or solder the terminals on.

Looking through both Stuart McGuires online page and Servicebox I can;t for the life of me find the part no. to give to GSF, Peugeotspares etc.

The car is an '88 (registered Nov) phase 1.5 1.9GTi. Thats all I know, dunno about what ECU it has but assume its totally standard.

Help would be great so I can sort as much out as poss before booking in with Skip Brown to sort general running problems out. :lol:

interesting, my ECU temp sensor plug is also fubared, i dont think you can buy just the plug from peugeot. So i was wondering if the same sensor is used on another car which i can find in a scrappy?

Anthony

The sensor is common to make European cars from the late 80's and early 90's, and the plug itself is just a standard 2 pin junior timer connector - same as injectors etc use :lol:

chocolate_o_brian
interesting, my ECU temp sensor plug is also fubared, i dont think you can buy just the plug from peugeot. So i was wondering if the same sensor is used on another car which i can find in a scrappy?

I pm'ed Simes on here and he suggested maybe just soldering the terminals on if a new plastic cap can't be sourced. I may try a couple electrical places round here see if they have anything. If not, a mate and his soldering iron it is after buying the new sensor. :lol:

Simes
I pm'ed Simes on here and he suggested maybe just soldering the terminals on if a new plastic cap can't be sourced. I may try a couple electrical places round here see if they have anything. If not, a mate and his soldering iron it is after buying the new sensor. :)

Yep I said that as an interim measure before finding the correct plug. I couldn't source a new one as they only seem to come attached to expensive looms.

I got a load of 'offcut' plugs from my local dealer, I'll go and check if I have kept the spares.

3 cylinders when cold eh! Sounds like the SAD.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e3-sad.html

:P

chocolate_o_brian
Yep I said that as an interim measure before finding the correct plug. I couldn't source a new one as they only seem to come attached to expensive looms.

I got a load of 'offcut' plugs from my local dealer, I'll go and check if I have kept the spares.

3 cylinders when cold eh! Sounds like the SAD.

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/e3-sad.html

:lol:

It very well could be Simon. My SAD hasn't got a bracket on it so probably not working to its potential. I may put a wanted up on here for one with the bracket/bolts and see if it makes a difference with ECU temp sensor/soldered terminals. If you do have a spare, I'll be eternally grateful!

Just to add, I've just rang the Donny branch of GSF up and they have one in stock. I've asked the guy to save it till Saturday morning for me as I'm off to Meadowhall shopping anywho so will pop in instead of paying £5 bloody postage.

SAD and bracket next...

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Simes

pm me your address and I'll send the plugs over to you

....quite by chance I happen to have a SAD

interested?

chocolate_o_brian
pm me your address and I'll send the plugs over to you

....quite by chance I happen to have a SAD

interested?

PM sent matey!

anotherway

i may have nicked your temp sensor this afternoon so just check before you set off they will more than likely have another in stock. This thread reminded me that i needed to buy one as 20 mpg is all Ive been getting lately hope it improves even a fraction would be nice i know i wont be getting huge improvement but optimax is bloody dear and apart from the afm is the only suspect part as the car runs sweet right now only taken 2 months of playing and messing about got an idle 95% of the time quite impressed considering the 20 year old jetronic managment on the car

davey205
GSF part number for the ECU temp sensor is B93490, and last time I bought one it was about a tenner or so :)

would mine be the same part number? i've already replaced the SAD ages ago and it didn't make any difference so i'm wanting to try this

*1991 1.6

Edited by davey205

Anthony

Yes, it's the same on all GTi 8v's and 1.9 Mi16's :lol:

GTi-6's and other late XU's use a slightly different sensor (green and the plug is keyed differently)

welshpug

though IIRC, the resistance values are the same :lol:

skeggyrik

The loom side of of the connector for my temp sensor was busted on my Mi16 before I took the engine out, the plastic had snapped so it had been covered in clear silicone to keep it in place.

Where can you get just the loom side connector from? Anyone got one they could send?

Anthony

Plug itself is just a standard junior timer connector, same as injectors and most other 2 pin plugs on a GTi loom.

Anyone that does vehicle wiring connectors (such as Vehicle Wiring Products) should sell them I'd imagine, and if not, I probably have some lying around off 8v looms that I've stripped in the past that I could pop in the post to you - they won't be blue like the original, but it'll work just fine.

If you're buying a new one, go for a junior timer power connector - same fitment, but has the quick-release bit on it making it easy to remove :lol:

chocolate_o_brian
i may have nicked your temp sensor this afternoon so just check before you set off they will more than likely have another in stock. This thread reminded me that i needed to buy one as 20 mpg is all Ive been getting lately hope it improves even a fraction would be nice i know i wont be getting huge improvement but optimax is bloody dear and apart from the afm is the only suspect part as the car runs sweet right now only taken 2 months of playing and messing about got an idle 95% of the time quite impressed considering the 20 year old jetronic managment on the car

Nah fella, part has my name on it ready for collection on Sat. You must have picked up another one in stock. :lol:

daveo

could someone point me as to where this sensor is as i think i have the same problem on my car

Anthony
could someone point me as to where this sensor is as i think i have the same problem on my car

It's a blue 2-pin sensor, with a blue connector on it. Located either on the back of the thermostat housing (quite difficult to see) on later Phase 2 models, or one a small coolant block underneath the dizzy next to the SAD on a Phase 1/1.5 car. Mi16's are on the side of the thermostat housing also.

daveo

ah thanks i think i know where that is now. mine a ph. 1.5 btw. thanks

btw what a SAD?? sorry just found a link....

Edited by daveo

chocolate_o_brian
ah thanks i think i know where that is now. mine a ph. 1.5 btw. thanks

btw what a SAD?? sorry just found a link....

Supplementary air device mate. Careful as sometimes they come without the bracket, mine did so had to re-route it nearer the block so it operates - kinda.

Sign in to follow this