• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woo83

[car_restoration] Black 205 1.9 8v

woo83

Progress!!

Finally made a start on the seats this week. What a nightmare, for every hour I spent sewing, measuring or cutting I must have spent a good 2 hours throwing stuff, swearing, kicking, bleeding and making tea (well, it's thirsty work) :D .

Had a pretty major setback when I discovered that the red thread was to thick to go though the machine, Which is a bit of a bummer as I really liked the red stitching on the gti seats. I did consider getting a thiner thread but I think it'd have lost most of the impact and it didn't really seem worthwhile so I ended up just using black.

I started off with a reasonable set of 1.6 cloth seats, which I stripped and replaced the drivers bolster.

S7300791.jpg

Then I started cutting the leather to rough size using an old seat for templates.

S7301032.jpg

Then It was just a boring process of cutting and pinning all the individually pieces to the precise sizes and marking up the sew lines.

S7301078.jpg

S7301089.jpg

Sewed all the bolsters together. I used the original vinyl back off one of the 1.6 seats.

S7301093.jpg

Then started making the centers out of the alcantara.

S7301115.jpg

S7301120.jpg

Right pain in the arse sewing all the little tabs and treading them with wire for the hog rings. :)

S7301128.jpg

And at the end of play. One passenger seat

S7301131.jpg

(The flash on the camera makes the centers look really light, there actually a bit of a darker grey)

It still needs a bit of refinement to get some of the wrinkles out (haven't hog ringed it tight cause I want to spray all the frames before I put them together properly). considering I've never attempted any upholstery before I'm quite chuffed, still got three more seats left to do though :o

I reckon I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a grey carpet now. :D

John. :D

Daviewonder

Wow looks impressive mate. How long did it take to do the one seat?

woo83

Thanks guys.

I couldn't tell you how many hours that one took, Ive been doing it all this last week so a fair bit. Thankfully I started doing one of the rear seats last night and its nowhere near as complicated so at least they should be a bit easier.

DaveW

Thats brilliant looks like a 306 gti6 seat now :)

Daniel185

Some impressive sewing there. Keep up the good work. :)

woo83

little more progress.

Been waiting on some zips and other stuff to finish the seats so I took the opportunity to finish up the engine.

All the bits had been sprayed up and cleaned so it was just a case of bolting everything together, I bought a load of new cap heads to replace the rusty old bolts.

S7301142.jpg

S7301145.jpg

S7301184.jpg

S7301185-1.jpg

S7301162.jpg

S7301195-1.jpg

Another job out of the way :D

jim205GTI

Looking good!!

I do like the seats though, thats how i would like to do mine eventually but i might throw in a bit more red somewhere as a sort of nod to the originals... :D :D

Edited by jim205GTI

woo83

Not really progress but I thought I'd share this with you all.

My new boot liner carpet :lol:

I bought some grey carpet of the net, sewed some webbing round the sides and then I thought I'd sew a Peugeot sport patch on for the hell of it.

S7301202.jpg

S7301201.jpg

Ive made some to cover the backs of the rear seats too, should look alright when it's all in the car.

I've nearly finished the seats now so I'll get some proper pics up when there done.

Thanks. John

woo83
Looking good!!

I do like the seats though, thats how i would like to do mine eventually but i might throw in a bit more red somewhere as a sort of nod to the originals... :lol:B)

Thanks Jim, i think your right, if i were to do them again I'd try and get some red in there somewhere, just to make them a bit more 'Gti...ish' :P

dale205mills
Not really progress but I thought I'd share this with you all.

My new boot liner carpet :lol:

I bought some grey carpet of the net, sewed some webbing round the sides and then I thought I'd sew a Peugeot sport patch on for the hell of it.

S7301202.jpg

S7301201.jpg

Ive made some to cover the backs of the rear seats too, should look alright when it's all in the car.

I've nearly finished the seats now so I'll get some proper pics up when there done.

Thanks. John

This made sound abit off topic, but could you make me one of those boot mats if the price was right, I think they look a hole lot better then the normal boot mat.

Keep up the good work

woo83

I'll see if I've got any carpet left, If I had to order more It'd probably put the cost up to much to be viable, although I saw some red carpet in carpet-right that might lend itself well. You'll have bare in mind I'm not a seamstress though :) .

Edited by woo83

Para

I would love one too !

SurGie

Great stuff apart from how level your spirit level is being, the badge is of line.

dale205mills
I'll see if I've got any carpet left, If I had to order more It'd probably put the cost up to much to be viable, although I saw some red carpet in carpet-right that might lend itself well. You'll have bare in mind I'm not a seamstress though :rolleyes: .

Thanks mate, I think gray or black will look the part more then red.

woo83
Great stuff apart from how level your spirit level is being, the badge is of line.

Ah, I was hoping no one would pick up on that. :D:lol: yes it is out of line, I honestly didnt notice until I saw it on the computer. Ive picked the stiching now and sewn it back on strait.

Thanks mate, I think gray or black will look the part more then red.

I talked to some mates today and they all want one too so i'll probably make 5 or so before the sewing machine goes back.

dale205mills

nice one, look forard to a price and putting one in my boot.

Juttie205

Looking good would love to have the time and space to do a project like this

Edited by Juttie205

Nickmatthewsrallying

Looking good, be good to see the finished project.

JRL

Yes it looks very classy! what about making one which extends all the way to the cockpit carpet for those who dont have rear seats.?

Steffrallye

someone dump a piece of crap ouside my house???

DSC06223.jpg

Also what the hell???

DSC06070.jpg

Whats hidden behind this door then?

DSC06068.jpg

OH, oh its just jonnys engine sat in the living room gathering dust.

DSC06066.jpg

Edited by Steffrallye

woo83

:lol:

Oh my god that looks grim. Not long now though, 3 weeks and it'll all be one color. I can crack on with it properly then.

Steffrallye

remember them words (3 weeks )

woo83

Ok so I've neglected this thread recently, and as Steff kindly pointed out in the previouse posts the car is looking worse than ever and the bits that do look good are languishing in my front room collecting dust.

But, all is not lost, the car is now in the sprayshop getting a full bare shell respray so in a few weeks it should be back home and ready to be rebuilt, should be fun as almost everything is ready to go back on it now, just got to sandblast and paint the rims and a few other niggly bits.

I've also decided I'm not going to use the grey seats I retrimmed. It's not that I dont like them it's just I much prefer the original red a black check, so I cut my losses and stopped making them. so I've now got a retrimed half leather half alcantara 205 gti computer chair, which is nice. ;)

Also sorry to Dale205mills, I forgot all about the boot carpets and now the sewing machines gone back so i cant make any more sorry.

AJPMIKE

Any more news on this car?I'd love to see how it turned out as i've really enjoyed reading these 8 pages :lol: