• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woo83

[car_restoration] Black 205 1.9 8v

carbers205

Good stuff mate, always great to see someone else who is just happy to get stuck into jobs that are new to them and see how it goes. Keep it up!

Andy

Steffrallye

if you need any pics jonney just let me know and ill get them for ya. specially all your nice rose joints XD

woo83

Firstly old update pics as promised

Stainless wiper pins with bronze bushes

S7300792.jpg

And rose jointed wiper mech

S7300713.jpg

Didn't get round to doing the heater fan, Maybe next week :P

New update

Firstly I must admit I've been losing heart lately, Think its just because it's January and its bloody cold :lol: . I was hoping it would be sprayed by now but due to me having no workshop and the weather I don't think thats going to happen any time soon so I've wrapped the car up under a cover and decided to concentrate on the stuff i can do. So with this in mind time to rebuild the Engine.

I must have cleaned this block about 5 times now but one more in my mates dishwasher cant hurt can it. B)

S7300757-1.jpg

Put the shells in with a bit of engine builders lube (I did measure first with pastigauge)

S7300759.jpg

All the caps on and torqued up, Haynes says 49 Nm but i ended up giving them 60 as thats the lowest my toque wrench will read and 49Nm seems a bit low to me.

(Timber briefly came to "Help", Barking at it every time I turned the crank, I'm sure he see's it as some sort of witchcraft) ;)

S7300772.jpg

So thats as far as I've got with the block, I'm waiting for the rings and valve guides to get here before finishing it.

With the valve guides out I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a little work on the ports. Loads of contradicting info out there so I've done what I've always done, matched the ports, polished the exhaust and left the inlet alone. cant remember who originally told me to do it this way (and it may well be wrong) but with it running everything standard it makes sense not to go mad. :lol:

S7300717.jpg

S7300796.jpg

S7300719.jpg

So thats as far As Iv got, I've checked all the running tolerances with the Haynes and everything well within the limits and the liners have been honed, So I should have the engine put back together by the end of the week (providing nothing goes majorly wrong) :) . Then It'll be time for the dreaded seat re trimming, Not done anything like this before so should be "interesting" All ready sourced two sets of gti seats one 1.6 and one 1.9 both pretty poor but should make one good set. After looking around I've decided to go half leather with dark Grey alcantara centers and red stitching, I wanted something a bit like the 205 rallye seats but half leather, I think the alcantara will be a lot more hard wearing though. Also thinking of doing the door cards leather with alcantara. A bit like the late models (but with alcantara) B) But think that might kill my budget a bit.:D

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments,

John.

miamichris

those wiper parts are a good job, nice idea! :lol:

omega

as you have quite a skill with makeing things it might be a idea to make a few and sell them on here to help fund your project,i would be intrested anyway.

woo83
as you have quite a skill with makeing things it might be a idea to make a few and sell them on here to help fund your project,i would be intrested anyway.

Thanks, I did think about doing this, But it's just finding the time what with my project and my mates rally car (which I seem to spend more time doing than my own). I will see what I can do though. :)

omega
Thanks, I did think about doing this, But it's just finding the time what with my project and my mates rally car (which I seem to spend more time doing than my own). I will see what I can do though. :ph34r:

i hope im on for a big discount as its my idea :)

woo83

What is it they say about tempting fate.

I should have the engine put back together by the end of the week (providing nothing goes majorly wrong)

Oh how I regret writing that. :rolleyes:

Firstly QEP had a bit of a problem acquiring the valve Guides so had to wait a bit longer than expected for the guides and rings to come. Then when they did come they were the wrong rings, phoned up and it turns out It was an honest mistake involving similar part No's, So I've sent them back and there sending me the right ones, So that would have put me back on track.

And then This happened (not the best of pics, I know)

S7300896.jpg

A Big chunk of alluminium smashed off Whilst puting one of the valve guides in.

That'll be a f*cked head then :(

So the situation now is, I've managed to Quickly get one guide out (the one that worked) without damaging it.

But the "rebellious" Guide is stuck fast, not only because the head and guide are now at room temp but also because I bonded it in with 638 Loctite :ph34r:

I'm thinking now my only option is to either buy one new guide (if they are even available as singles), Or seems as the head is now scrap cut it on the band saw and retrieve the guide (assuming its still usable).

Then start again with a new head.

Oh happy days :ph34r:

Any Ideas or comments welcome.

John.

Edited by woo83

Steffrallye

im sure last time i looked i saw a complete bottom end :D and a nice sump with fins ;)

Edited by Steffrallye

woo83
im sure last time i looked i saw a complete bottom end :lol: and a nice sump with fins ;)

Yep the bottom end is all done and iv got a new MI16 sump, just waiting to sort the sandblaster out so i can the clean up all the brackets and mounts.

The new head came today (thanks Baz), the valve guides are brilliant in this one so I'll be leaving them well alone. <_<:o

Also took delivery of some nice black leather hides :) just waiting for the Alcantara to get here and It'll be time to start on the seats. Should be interesting B)

I'll put a proper post with some pics up when i get chance.

Thanks. John

matty_gti

49nm on the mains does seem a little but 60nm seems alot?, has any one used the auto data method of 54nm?.

shalmaneser
What is it they say about tempting fate.

Oh how I regret writing that. :P

Firstly QEP had a bit of a problem acquiring the valve Guides so had to wait a bit longer than expected for the guides and rings to come. Then when they did come they were the wrong rings, phoned up and it turns out It was an honest mistake involving similar part No's, So I've sent them back and there sending me the right ones, So that would have put me back on track.

And then This happened (not the best of pics, I know)

S7300896.jpg

A Big chunk of alluminium smashed off Whilst puting one of the valve guides in.

That'll be a f*cked head then :(

So the situation now is, I've managed to Quickly get one guide out (the one that worked) without damaging it.

But the "rebellious" Guide is stuck fast, not only because the head and guide are now at room temp but also because I bonded it in with 638 Loctite :D

I'm thinking now my only option is to either buy one new guide (if they are even available as singles), Or seems as the head is now scrap cut it on the band saw and retrieve the guide (assuming its still usable).

Then start again with a new head.

Oh happy days :lol:

Any Ideas or comments welcome.

John.

Is that the inlet or exhaust?

I don't know much about rebuilding engines, but why should this mean a scrapped head? you see plenty of race spec engines with blended valve guides, surely that's got to be worth a go especially if the guide is nicely seated in there?

Worth thinking about, and what have you got to loose? Worse comes to worse and your head is knackered you can get a 8V head for pennies....

woo83
49nm on the mains does seem a little but 60nm seems alot?, has any one used the auto data method of 54nm

I've done a few of them now at 60nm I've never had any issues. 60nm wouldn't put that much more strain on the threads would it? ;)

Is that the inlet or exhaust?

I don't know much about rebuilding engines, but why should this mean a scrapped head? you see plenty of race spec engines with blended valve guides, surely that's got to be worth a go especially if the guide is nicely seated in there?

Worth thinking about, and what have you got to loose? Worse comes to worse and your head is knackered you can get a 8V head for pennies....

I know what you mean it is a shame as apart from the guides it was a very good head. It just seemed like false economy to carry on putting new valve guides in a damaged head, especially when you consider the price of a second hand 8v head. :D

I havnt thrown it though it's being used as a very cool door stop B):lol:

Thanks. John

Edited by woo83

woo83

Bit of an update. :)

Been busy getting the head all cleaned up.

I've Degreased it

S7301031.jpg

Sprayed it with heat proof paint (thinned with white spirit so it would go through the spray gun) ;)

S7301037.jpg

Then baked it in the oven At 50*c to cure the paint (waited till everyone had gone out before I did this) ;)

S7301039.jpg

Reds not to everyones taste but I think it'll add a splash of colour under the bonnet, break up the black and silver a bit. B)

So with that done I've just got to give it a skim and another good thorough clean and I can lap the valves and put it all back together. :D

The bottom end is already together just waiting for the head.

New Piston rings.

S7300922.jpg

Original pistons and liners.

S7300919.jpg

Pistons in the liners with new big end shells.

S7300929.jpg

Big end caps with shells.

S7300930.jpg

Pistons and liners in.

S7301044.jpg

A quick mock up with the old head just for the hell of it.

S7301042.jpg

I'm quite happy now things seem to be moving again, maybe it'll be ready for the summer after all. B):lol::huh:

John.

Edited by woo83

woo83

Also I've been playing with the seats.

First set, 1.6 cloth seats £10.50 off ebay (and they were only down the road) ;)

S7300778.jpg

Stripped them down and there alright, drivers bolsters goosed but all in all very pleased.

S7300791.jpg

I've got another set of half leathers too, I've stripped the drivers seat and picked the leather apart to make templates.

S7301032.jpg

I ordered the thread today, black and red. So when that gets here I'll make a start. Fingers crossed :huh:

Thanks. John

woo83

A little more progress. :)

Due to excessive corrosion I decided to ditch the tin sump and get an alloy one. Thanks to Visagti16v for selling me this one.

S7301051.jpg

So i gave it bit of a degrease and a quick blast with the sandblaster.

S7301053.jpg

And a going over with some VHT spray.

S7301056.jpg

Loads better than the tin one IMO. ;)

Also the heads skimmed ready to be rebuilt. B)

S7301069.jpg

S7301068.jpg

Thanks. John

Edited by woo83

shalmaneser

Wow, some great work here! Can't wait to see how the seats come out!

DrSarty

Cleaner than a clean thing that's just been cleaned. B)

chrisj21

Fantastic work.

May i ask where you got the leather material from?

Chris

woo83

Thanks guys B), I bought The leather off good old Ebay:D. A guy on there had just had his BMW seats retrimmed and had 1 and 1/2 hides left over. It's good quality too, Its not shiny like the 205 seats though, it's more of a satin black. This doesn't bother me much, To be honest I was never really a massive fan of the shiny seats :o.

Thanks. John

Daviewonder

Wow its coming along nicely, such attention to detail, can't wait to see it finished. Just a quick question, what thread have you got to stitch the seats? I got some that was recomended for leather but im sure it will be too thin and possibly cut its way through the leather when sat on?

Dave :)

woo83

Thanks Dave.

I had the same thought when I got the thread I'm using, Its bonded nylon size 40 (the thickest I could find). It does look really thin but I've tested It on a few scraps and I can't break It, even with a vice and some pliers ;). I am using a finer stitch than Peugeot though.

I've just finished the bolsters on one of the front seats and I've been pulling and stretching the leather to get it to fit nicely (way more abuse than it would get when its in the car) and there no sign of the thread cutting into the leather so i'm hoping it wont be a problem. Fingers crossed though :o

I bought some red polyester stuff too, 0.8mm the same thickness as the stuff Peugeot use but I can't get it to go through the machine, Its a pretty beefy industrial jobbie too so I'm guessing Peugeot must use some sort of embroidery machine for the red stitching :) .

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by woo83

Daviewonder

Yeah the stuff I got is M40 bonded polyester, it looks really thin but as you say is really really strong and if you've given it a good test then thats good enough for me :D I was told that Nylon is not recommended because it degrades in ultraviolet light? Don't know how true this is but thought you might like to know before you get too involved. The red thread I bought arrived and it was too thick like you say so I might investigate some smaller sizes and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply,

Dave :)

woo83
I was told that Nylon is not recommended because it degrades in ultraviolet light? Don't know how true this is but thought you might like to know before you get too involved.

Mmmm I didn't think of that :lol: , When I was sold it I was told it was "rot proofed" but I assumed that meant water, moisture etc. I've been on the ipcabond website and theres no mention of resistance to sunlight but it does state that it is used for automotive upholstery. :lol:

I'm committed now anyway so I guess time will tell. :)

Thanks for the heads up. ;)

John

GLPoomobile

The original stitching can/will fade in sunlight but I'd assume it takes years. It can be fixed to some extent with careful application of a red permanent marker.