Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

steve@cornwall

After all the effort gone into this, i think you would really regret not finishing it 100% as you intended even if you do sell it. Our tastes and priorities change throughout our lives and the beauty of the trusty 205 has been that it's been relatively affordable to change our cars along with this. With recent pricing of cars and parts this is becoming unrealistic for most now. Also, what a short while ago would have I been a terrific daily car could now seem to precious to use as such! But it isn't just a car, it's evolution has been a part of you for a long time and i reckon you would forever regret not completing it.

Of course if you get to a point you need the cash in hand it will be a no brainer.Many years ago i needs to sell my 1275gt for furniture purchase in a new house. Much as i loved that car (and it looked great with ribbons etc for my wedding) i never regretted the sale.

cRaig

On the road again...

Decided that moaning and not doing anything wasnt really an option, so have found a (very) expensive garage to rent a 10min cycle from both my work and where I'm living, so the plan is to start pottering with it in evenings and weekends to get back some enthusiasm for it.

In fairness, it was nice to see it out in the sunshine today, still looks pretty damn good...

34015325836_dd1903b389_b.jpg

Will try and get all the broken links in this thread fixed soon, perhaps seeing the before/after images will help motivate me :)

Edited by cRaig
  • Like 2

pugdamo

Looks so good, but it would look better with all the wheels touching the road and the sun shining. Glad you are trying to find some motivation, I'm sure you will be happy when summers here.

ALEX

I regret selling my Laser Gti.

Would be worth more than the £1600 I got for it 6 - 7 years ago even if I'd have left it outside in the rain.

edit:

Saying that my mate regrets scrapping 2 - Gti's and 3 Mi16 engines for £175 about 10 years ago!

I keep sending him ebay links of junk 205s just to wind him up.

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

cRaig

Well.. there goes another 18 months with very little in the way of progress..!

To be honest I've been more focused on getting life on an even keel, developing my career and sorting out a few personal/mental heath issues. Either way, very little in the way of direct progress!

Last time I updated this I was dragging the 205 down to the south coast. I got fed up paying a fortune for storage and still not having all the right parts/tools nearby to actually crack on, ended up by getting distracted by a side project to sort out the parents garage (with the ulterior motive that it would provide some long term (free!) storage!).

The existing garage was a reasonable size, a generous single, but it had a horrible lean to with a loo and utility area, which wasn't really fit for anything, the plan was to provide more general storage, a utility area to free up the garage for a work bench and obviously cars.

Don't want to turn this into a garage build thread, but a few pics to show why it's taken me so long to even get around to thinking about the 205! All of this has been done in evenings and long weekends over the last year and a half!

45477757641_39bc0d06af_c.jpg

44564621235_517deb6f50_c.jpg

44753662964_04c90038a7_c.jpg

The original garage, knackered up and over door, horrible lean to and iffy render. The oil tank was replaced with a buried LPG tank during the house refurb which I also tackled.

44563737045_e00369da35_c.jpg

Just over doubled the footprint of the garage, and had a plan to integrate a log store into the gable. Had some local guys dig the foundations and lay the blockwork, but I 'diy-ed' everything else; the roof structure,  cladding, roof slating, full re-wire, roller door etc.

43660649740_2715264911_c.jpg

As the garden slopes away, I wanted to use some nice engineering brick for the plinth.  Cladding is untreated larch with natural slate on the roof- the savings from doing it myself meant we could upspec the materials a bit.

43660864800_c363506983_c.jpg

43660861530_fe22db6f23_c.jpg

43660867830_7f1654cb54_c.jpg

Particularly pleased with how the log store has come out :) The plan is to put matching larch doors with hidden ironmongery on above, and use it as garden tools/shed storage. Makes really good use of the extra space acquired by the drop in levels.

45477854381_992a2a679f_c.jpg

45477850941_5df7476ce1_c.jpg

A place for everything and everything in it's place....

45477852401_15786e02ec_c.jpg

45477847481_dd0cfb3974_c.jpg

So the new half provides storage (the loft is also full of 205 s*ite..) With a bulkhead above the external store providing space for stacking boxes. And general utility/work area, plus an outside loo and dog shower.

A lot of effort, but it has freed up the garage half..

45477849131_5a6a560a97_c.jpg

43660751600_25c210b5db_c.jpg

Took the cover off for the first time today for a long time, still looking suitably shiny :)

30537742397_ff0215f0d1_c.jpg

31603462978_46277122c3_c.jpg

44753079364_93830a6ef5_c.jpg

So a few bits and pieces to finish off in the garage, then the plan is to sort out the TT (it needs the cam chain replacing, which is a bit of a mission of a job, with a view to selling it in the spring. It's been fun, and is undoubtedly an underrated car, but the novelty of low-to-mid 20s mpg has worn off.. ) Once that is finished, the plan is by Christmas time to start working on the 205 again. I've started making a list, and there really isn't very much left to do, most of the difficulty is going to be remembering what needs doing and how to do it.. Spring/summer 2019 would be nice to see it back on the road, but it hardly seems worth making anything in the way of a concrete statement with regards to dates!

I've also nearly finished sorting out all the broken image links in the previous 26(!) pages, which has also motivated me somewhat :) Long-winded indeed.

Edited by cRaig

barneys66

Oh wow - what a beautiful building and incredible workspace.

Very, very nicely done.

Anthony

Very nice Craig - looks like a night and day difference over what was there before :)

I wouldn't worry about the lack of 205 progress over the last 18 months - I'm sure that many/most of us have experienced life and its associated challenges getting in the way of our best laid plans, but the 205 will sit under that cover without deteriorating until you're in a position to finish it off and get it back on the road.

mmt
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Very nice Craig - looks like a night and day difference over what was there before :)

I wouldn't worry about the lack of 205 progress over the last 18 months - I'm sure that many/most of us have experienced life and its associated challenges getting in the way of our best laid plans, but the 205 will sit under that cover without deteriorating until you're in a position to finish it off and get it back on the road.

Well said. 

cRaig

Thanks guys :) The garage was certainly more work than I anticipated, the actual shell went up quite quickly, but sorting the plumbing/work units/bathroom dragged it out a fair while. Does make a pretty decent work space (3 bar gas heater makes it quite civilised at the mo!)

As I mentioned, I'm currently vorsprung-ing the durch technik on the TT to get it all sorted for sale in the spring. The cam chain is a fairly involved job, so I figured the easiest way to get decent access would be to drop the engine out, which would give the opportunity to sort a few other age/mileage related jobs relatively easily.

45062195285_fdfcc2fcd0_c.jpg

Trying to resist.. but I'm thinking this engine would make a great starting point for a project..! I think the engine would fit pretty well in a 309 GTi or a 405, as its surprisingly compact (certainly compared to the Peugeot 406 V6!) Plus 250bhp,  DSG and 4x4would be a fun starting point in something lighter and Peugeot-y...  :D

Edited by cRaig

welshpug

its a glorious strong old thing the VR lump, but I'm sure its a hefty old lump compared to the all aluminium ES9?

cRaig

What does the ES9 engine weigh? I have vague memories from the failed Berlingo project that it wasn't exactly that light!

Google suggests the VR6 is circa 169kg including ancillaries minus the gearbox.  The problem is that the weight of the DSG box and transfer box is essentially another engine on it's own though!  :D

Edited by cRaig