• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Much Work Needed For Clutch Replacement?

johny105_y2k

mrs on the spanners for 15years! make her do it. you get some rest with your wrist.

johny

MerlinGTI

Bloody poxy job, no chance on your own with a limp wrist im afraid mate ;)

chocolate_o_brian
Enough willy waving about how easy it is, if you can't do anything strenuous with your right hand then I'd definitely get somebody to help you out! Undoing the bolts and tearing everything apart may well be easy but re-aligning the gearbox can be hard enough with the engine out of the car. When its still in the bay it means you have to lean over the wing and lift the sod into place, and I'm sure you can imagine when you're bent in half these things aren't light!

Just being realistic here, there's no point in waving your d*cks around going ahhh yeah it's well easy! Me, I can change a 'box in 3.5 minutes with one hand strapped behind my back! Don't want you to be lead into thinking it'll be a breeze, then injuring yourself!

Rarity here, but I agree with Cameron :D

I've got nasty RSI in my right wrist so I'm very careful about what I undertake. My Pugs currently sat poorly at my local MOT garage needing a clutch replacement. Their computer system reckoned 5.5 hours average for a change and thats for a decent mechanic, good tools and ramps etc. I think I'll put my willy back in my pants and let them do the hard work :blush:

Ricardo
Rarity here, but I agree with Cameron :D

I've got nasty ... willy back in my pants and let them do the hard work :blush:

rofl.gifLMFAO!!!!rofl.gif

Sorry....in a silly mood!

getcoat.gif

chocolate_o_brian
rofl.gifLMFAO!!!!rofl.gif

Sorry....in a silly mood!

getcoat.gif

LOL :blush:

dch1950

Hi,

I'm one of the older members of the forum and I did my clutch (18 months ago) in the road. I did find an engine hoist combined with my trolley jack helped when getting the box back on shaft. But all in all it wasn't too bad. I did take out the battery box though as this helped with access.

I also did my rear beam this September. It more a case of taking it steady.

regards

Dave

pablo

surely you have to take the battery out to get to the mount?

dch1950
surely you have to take the battery out to get to the mount?

Battery yes, but also removed the battery carrier (box) as well

dave

pug_ham

If you had a garage I'd offer to come up & do it for £100 but maybe not at this time of year outside.

Last time I took a gearbox off to swap a flywheel on an Mi it took me four hours start to finish.

Practice makes pefect but you do need two hands for this one. One thing I do that makes it slightly easier is to unscrew the gearbox mount stud so you don't need to lower it quite as far forit to clear the mount & get it out of the engine bay.

Graham.

Baz
Practice makes pefect but you do need two hands for this one. One thing I do that makes it slightly easier is to unscrew the gearbox mount stud so you don't need to lower it quite as far forit to clear the mount & get it out of the engine bay.

Graham.

Exactly, although it seems to be hit and miss as some will come out with a bit of fiddling, without removing the stud. I also find it easier without using a trolley jack, just gets in the way, although i know most people wouldn't be up for bench-pressing it up and down... Lots of personal preference methods it seems!

I've done a fair few tbh, but i'm not about to tell you how quickly i can do it despite probably being able to do it fairly swiftly if i tried, because i couldn't care, i'd rather take it slow and steady, with plenty of tea in between, I'd recommend this method. <_<

Baz

A couple of things i'll also add, if you're doing it, then check the condition of a few items while you're there, as these come off or can be got at at the same time;

Check the condition of the driveshafts and the lower engine mount, the shafts will be out so you can replenish the CV Joints grease, and replace the gaitors if needs be, and the OS shaft passes through the lower engine mount, so ideal to replace a nackered one at the same time also, the gearbox mount too, and perhaps the gear linkages! And last but not least, the driveshaft oil seals, nothing worse than going to all the trouble of that big a job, refitting everything and filling the gearbox with nice new oil, to then find that it all p!sses back out...

Sign in to follow this