• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Much Work Needed For Clutch Replacement?

Ricardo

Clutch is slipping now and gears grind if the pedal isn't flat to the floor!

Thinking of doing it myself but not realy the weather and cant use my right hand for anything slightly strenuous yet.

Can it be done easily? If not how much roughly at Peugeot garage?

Cheers

Rich

bouver

Its a piece is piss!

If you have never done one before get a good manual and follow that.

Anteas

well documeted on here know what u mean about the weather its fricking freezing this far north the older style hayes manuals show how to do the clutch tho u dont need to take the engine out

sideways danny

very easy job for anyone with fair spanner skills. you will need 2 hands though as you need to pull and push and lift a fair amount

Ricardo

Well I'm no slouch with the spanners, always done all my own mechanics except since I turned middle age and can nearly afford to get things done!

Only ever had the engines out of fiestas, capris, Hilman Minx!! (bet half of you don't even know what one of those is!! :) ) and my first car, a beetle (quiet please :) ). Never had to change clutches or have them changed on cars in the last 15 years......anyway enough....I'm feeling old but I'm not. Just restricted wrist movement and break not yet healed.

I have both the Haynes manualsso I might replace afew things at the same time like the SAD and new hoses.

Cheers for the advice and any "special" tips?..

Edited by Ricardo

pablo

take my advice, dont think you can leave the drivers side driveshaft in place and simply slide the box off it once everything in undone. it just doesnt work. Trust me!

Hardest part imo is wrigging the fecker (box) back on so it slides in nicely. Always a wrestling match!!! Raise the box up close to position on a trolley jack tho and it takes the worst out of it.

kyepan

if you have a decent electric impact driver it helps speed things up no end.

but otherwise the only bit that's medium hassle is angling the diff housing around the lump in the sub frame to release from the input shaft, and back onto the input shaft.

Luckily batfink is a bit of a wizz at this.

pablo

just be thankful its not a clio. omg the work just to swap a clutch is STUPID!

Cameron

Enough willy waving about how easy it is, if you can't do anything strenuous with your right hand then I'd definitely get somebody to help you out! Undoing the bolts and tearing everything apart may well be easy but re-aligning the gearbox can be hard enough with the engine out of the car. When its still in the bay it means you have to lean over the wing and lift the sod into place, and I'm sure you can imagine when you're bent in half these things aren't light!

Just being realistic here, there's no point in waving your d*cks around going ahhh yeah it's well easy! Me, I can change a 'box in 3.5 minutes with one hand strapped behind my back! Don't want you to be lead into thinking it'll be a breeze, then injuring yourself!

Edited by Cameron

Tom Fenton

Agreed, if you've only one hand that works you won't be able to get the box off and back on.

Pob
Agreed, if you've only one hand that works you won't be able to get the box off and back on.

It's not as easy as people are making out as said before! Getting the box back on can be a nightmare.... I've struggled a couple of times getting it back on, othertimes it's just slid on no problem.

Just don't expect it to be a hour job! Especially if your doing it on your drive with a trolley jack

Dan

pablo

my back was near broke. being 6'2 and bent over the wing for 30 mins wrestling with the box was NOT fun.

Pob
my back was near broke. being 6'2 and bent over the wing for 30 mins wrestling with the box was NOT fun.

I know that feeling... It's one of those jobs that can make you hate your 205.

Dan

pablo

see my earlier comment about the clio! Walk in the park in comparison. Didnt help that I had to pull it all off again and repeat the whole process.

Anthony

The job itself isn't difficult as such, but as said, with just one hand you're on a hiding to nothing when it comes to putting the gearbox back on - if you don't have a friend who's able to pop over and help you with that bit atleast, then I'd admit defeat and pay someone else to do the job.

pablo

just noticed the bit about the hand, no frickin way!

Ricardo

OK guys....Maybe a bit of "Man-Flu" syndrome :) here!! I can spanner with my hand its just 30% bendable at the wrist and not strong enough to hold anything heavier than a kettle full of water outstretched!

I don't mind it taking a week or so on the drive and my missus is very handy with the spanners (15 years on the tools.... :P watch it!).

In my prime I got a beetle engine out from parking up to out on the drive in 14 minutes. But they must be the easiest engines in the world to remove! (like anything tho, especially when you know what youre doing).

Is it easier with the car elevated level (4 axle stands/ramps)? But then there is the height to lean over the wing (I'm 6'2").

I'm sorry if I'm going on a bit but if realistically I/we would struggle, the last thing I want is to get the engine/gearbox half separated stuck and then how do I get it to a garage...SO...How much at a garage and would you suggest Peugeot or local?

Thanks again.... oh, and last night it gave me such a smile driving home in it I think I do want to keep it, but then again!...DOH!

pablo

no way man, the wrestling of the box off then on again really does take two strong hands

£100 for a garage to do it?

EdCherry

Unbolt every from gearbox, remove gearbox, replace clutch, bolt gearbox back on, bolt everything on/around gearbox back on. Simple as really.

Your right hand will prove to be an issue, so might be worth out sourcing it to a garage and removing all the pipework etc around the gearbox to shorten their job and reduce cost.

one-lady-owner

I recently got a quote at my local pug garage (yes main stealer!!!) for £320 all in, that included all labour, new diff seals, g/box oil, and a proper pug OE clutch, and a courtesy 107 XS for the day!! :lol: always worth a quick phone call if you're not completely sure about doing it yourself!

sideways danny
just be thankful its not a clio. omg the work just to swap a clutch is STUPID!

doing one of those at the moment (only a 1.2 this time) it's turned my bad mood from first thing this morning into near murderous intentions

pablo

for such a common base model car its a real pig. sqeezing the box out through the chassis and subframe is just a real pain in the hole. then the gear linkage is on the bottom of the box so you cant be too brutal.

Ricardo

Cheers chaps...Looks like I'll be phoning around.

Might get a SAD and new hoses to fit myself!

sideways danny
for such a common base model car its a real pig. sqeezing the box out through the chassis and subframe is just a real pain in the hole. then the gear linkage is on the bottom of the box so you cant be too brutal.

i gave up trying to squeeze it through (always had subframe off before, but thought i'd give it a try) walked away and subby is coming off when i'm feeling fresh and less pissed off

Sign in to follow this