• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davey205

Water Trickling Down Right In The Corner Passenger Footwell

Pob

IMG_6009resized.jpg

You want to lift the sound proofing right up, It's basically were the wheel arch meets the bulk head... Follow the sealant you can see in the picture towards the bulk head. You'll see the sealant going horizontially across the bulk head and vertically, right in the corner were the wheel arch meets the bulk head. Mine was leaking a couple of inches up from the floor in the corner.

Dan

Edited by Pob

ScoobyJawa

I think i'll have a look in both locations, i think the sunroof vacuum has just given up the ghost so might well be from there.....

toddydal

when i was serving my time on 205,we had a bad water leak,we finally found it by taking the bonded wing off,resealing the innerwing,apost etc,etc and that cured it,it was a bit of a twat because we had to put the original wing back on and it was bonded on but the use of a heat gun done the job,ive also seen water coming in from the doors when the plastic membrane in the doors have been broken and it gets in over the door rubber

davey205

as mysteriously as mine appeared it has gone....... sealed up a corner in the scuttle panel which looked a bit suspect and nothing ever since not one drop so maybe carpet back in next week

Guest Delboy

Was going to start a new topic but then spotted this thread and just read through from start to finish.

So here is what I was going to post up before finding this thread:

Evening all!

I still have a leak in the pug somewhere and I'm stumped. It's really really bizarre as only the passenger front footwell carpet is getting damp now and only on the floor.

The side of the carpet by the door is dry, the front at the bulkhead is dry and the other side by the centre console is dry :confused:

It's as though it's just coming straight out of the floor, but it can't be as there are no holes in the floor at all. There are no drips from above as the roof lining is bone dry and the damp patch is mainly under the dash, and the dash is also dry.

Weirdly the water seems to just be under the matt and not on top, the matt is a cheap rubber job so if water got on top it would stay there I think.

I've had a real mare with leaks on this car and I'm now getting pissed off with it, going to have to get the carpet out again to dry it as the car is starting to smell of wet dog and I'm getting really bad condensation inside so it won't be long before electrics suffer.

Brief history of what leak prevention has already been done, to save going over old ground.

Two screw holes in roof filled with screws and sealant - that was the worst leak.

Both door seals removed and refitted with silicone sealant used as they were leaking slightly.

Really bored of this now so anyone who has any ideas on what it could be please let me know as I'm all out of thoughts on this one!

So, based on the above and what I've read we're looking at windscreen seal or this bulkhead sealant in the corner? Just to clarify the inner wing to chassis areas pictured are fine on mine, the car has no rust.

If I didn't love driving the car as much as I do I'd be selling it I think, I've never had any car leak water so much and I've owned plenty of crusty old cars! Most fun I've ever had in a sieve though so it's staying for now :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile

Do what Davey did and use talc to try and find where it's coming from. If you are taking the carpet out just sprinkle talc all over the floor and see if you get a track of damp powder. If there's no track, and just a damp patch in the middle then you know it has to be coming from above.

Guest Delboy

Good idea, I'm very certain it has to be hat corner due to the locality of the damp patch, but will give that a go when I've pulled the carpet out again :unsure:

Baz
IMG_6009resized.jpg

You want to lift the sound proofing right up, It's basically were the wheel arch meets the bulk head... Follow the sealant you can see in the picture towards the bulk head. You'll see the sealant going horizontially across the bulk head and vertically, right in the corner were the wheel arch meets the bulk head. Mine was leaking a couple of inches up from the floor in the corner.

Dan

Yep i'd look at that vertical line of seam sealant where the bulkhead meets the floorpan, these are prone to drying up and cracking from the exhaust heat, so look around that area, then will let water in from there, but obviously not so much unless the car is being used, ie driven through puddles etc.

CaptainK

This has been an informative thread thanks. I don't appear to have a leak in my 205 and haven't spotted an "pools" of water anywhere in the car or footwells etc. However, my 205 mists up with a *LOT* of condensation whenever it rains. I don't use it often, so its not water I've brought into it. This thread has given me some ideas as to what to look at on my 205 as I'm guessing I do have a leak somewhere that needs fixing.

Problem is I can't tell if its the sunroof or roof leaking as it gets so much condensation in the car the sunroof is covered with loads of drops of water waiting to drop. As soon as I disturb the car by opening the door the whole lot drops down and covers the seats / footwells. ;)

feb
could it be from the sunroof? I have a leak that fills up the passenger footwell as well, i've changed the windscreen seal which made no difference. When we had the really heavy rain a few weeks ago i found water running from the roof lining, down the plastic windscreen pillar trim and down into the footwell. When I get chance I'm going to take the roof lining out to see exactly were the leak is.

Same as mine is coming from. When I removed the A pillar plastic trim I saw the water trickling from behind so it must be coming from the sunroof drainage holes somewhere...?

If anyone knows what to replace / look into next I would appreciate it.

Cheers :)

Edited by feb

Silky

Old thread revival

First photo on this post, exactly where mine is leaking from. Popped out tonight in the rain and can see a small trail of water coming in and also running along a cable coming through the same area.

Will look to seal anything in the scuttle panel area and look up and above that around bulkhead seam area.

Silky

And what sealant would be best for this?

Only got kitchen/bathroom type sealant, guessing it should be more specific

davey205

In reply to pm, i remember we plugged a lot of random holes found all over the car then waxoyled the entire car, I don't remember us doing anything specific to the front windscreen area I know the floor was a bit swiss cheesy and the door drains were blocked.... sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you get yours sorted.

Telf

Mine leaks in the same spot- but both footwells-I've looked on loads of occasions but it must have been like it for about 2 years now.

Its really annoying- I've taken all the sound proofing out and the carpet- its noisy as hell - but I drive it everyday and have got used to the noise

mac73

Same problem here took the scuttle away and small rust patch with a pinhole under the seal at bottom corner.

Looks like the seal has shrunk a bit there as sitting higher than on the other side.Hosepipe on the windscreen confirmed

this is the culprit! Have the car drying out now waiting for a slot to get sorted.

Telf

hi folks- if anybody searches and finds this thead- heres what is causing water in both my footwells:

Rust in the scuttle panel around both left and right drain holes- also inside the section behind the bonnet hinges.

My repair has consisted of some steel tape, sealant and a load of hammerite spayed into the area behind the hinges. Leak has stopped. Hope this helps someone.

post-21474-0-45770300-1462688617_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-38988500-1462688716_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-43239800-1462688892_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-02599500-1462688910_thumb.jpg

allye

Here's one you everyone then, I have a leak just in the drivers corners, my scuttle panel is immaculate with no signs of corrosion at all. Brand windscreen fitted with new Peugeot seal.

Pour an entire watering can down that drain holes and it comes out the bottom fine, but with consistent rain it makes its way into the cabin....

46AE4010-3C7C-4488-8A3A-4ECFD3D3C575_zps

allye

Am I going to have to take my first wing off?

Telf

Hi ali.

Looking at that picture I would say you have a similar problem to me. The scuttle panel looks ok on inspection but if you take a screwdriver to it the metal under the sealant in the area is wafer thin - infact porous really.

Mine takes ages to come through- pour a can of water and nothing, 5 or 10 minutes later a bead of water appears .

I believe the solution is removal of the wing, the area the water is coming from is a mixture of scuttle panel you can see and reach and the area behind the water drain. its like an enclosed box section. If you stick your fingers in there and its anything like mine you will feel a lot of loose paint.

I'm resigned to removing the wings this summer and cutting a whole load of bad metal out!

Telf

If you look at the picture attached I think the suspect area is just aft of the drain hole(circled)- it encompasses this 'box' section and the lower pan of the scuttle panel. My intention is to cut this area out and make it all good.

As soon as I have time its all getting done.

Oh sorry picture credit- Justin that's from your build post- hope you don't mind me pinching it!

post-21474-0-99017700-1463759791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

allye

Not what I wanted to hear! Thanks telf.

Telf

let me know what you find in that area behind the bonnet hinge. Yours does look worse than mine- I have no rust staining- Ive got another thread about this but not much has happened. It doesn't seem to have been a commen problem- usually its the screen seal or a blocked drain hole causing the problem it seems.

Maybe the advancing age of the cars will cause this to be seen more. Its a nightmare Ive only just sorted the inner wings!- now this

Callum

Got a fairly bad water leak and i've traced it to the corner of the passenger footwell, it's not the windscreen rubber and it's not where the bulkhead meets the floor in the engine bay also it's not from the top of the scuttle. It's seems it's coming from along the vertical sealant line. The soundproofing it the most wet in the corner by the kick trim and it's also wet along the bottom, it seems the water trickles down and along the sealant horizontally as well. Will I need yo remove the wing to sort this? I can't seem to remove the kick trim i can only get it so it moves i think the plugs are stopping it from pulling down any suggestions 

20181201_143851.jpg

Edited by Callum

steve@cornwall

bonnet release needs to be removed. screws go through the kick panel

Telf

If that's not coming from the scuttle panel I'd be amazed