• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davey205

Water Trickling Down Right In The Corner Passenger Footwell

feb
Have you looked at where the inner wing meets the bulkhead down towards the lower back bit, as 205's have body sealer there

and iv seen a few of them missing.

One of my 205's had it missing and through the years water was laying in-between the gap, it rotted the bulkhead where it meets the floor

pan on the inside, where the water is in your car.

If this is the case then you will most likely find rust there somewhere.

I lifted up the floormat today and I also have a wet patch on the passenger's front footwell exactly as davey205.

What was found to be the culprit and from where can you access the inner wing sealant and joint between the inner wing and bulkhead? Do you need to remove the door or wheel to access it?

I am starting to get annoyed with the 205 :)

How can I remove the carpet and do you know any bodyshop around Fleet that could sort this out for me?

Cheers :D

Simes
I lifted up the floormat today and I also have a wet patch on the passenger's front footwell exactly as davey205.

What was found to be the culprit and from where can you access the inner wing sealant and joint between the inner wing and bulkhead? Do you need to remove the door or wheel to access it?

I am starting to get annoyed with the 205 :angry:

How can I remove the carpet and do you know any bodyshop around Fleet that could sort this out for me?

Cheers :)

You can lift the carpet up in a couple of places to access.

To remove fully you'll need to remove the seats and lowercentre column.

If the seat bolts are easy to take out it should only take a morning to remove all this.

Miles is near'ish to you.

Pob
hiya im not 100% sure where you mean it was coming through on yours ? ive had a look at my scuttle and sealed an area up today where a slight pool was collecting

unfortunatly I've miss placed the picture of the offending area. If you lift the sound proofing material you'll see a large blob of sealant in the corner, mine was leaking around that area. If you feel the back of the material you'll feel wetness on the back of it, that should point you to the general direction of the leak.

Dan

SurGie

I am starting to get annoyed with the 205 :angry:

Cheers :)

Hi feb

The bit i was on about is behind the battery area, the inner wing goes down towards the bulkhead

where sealant is to stop water getting in and rotting the bulkhead.

If this is the case then its not worth getting anyone else to sort it, unless you dont have the time.

To lift the carpet is quite easy, take off the door seal, take off the footwell plastic the unclip the carpet off, then

use something to hold it out of the way, no need really to remove the whole carpet.

Edited by SurGie

pug_ham

Can you find how far up the bulkhead its in coming from?

IIRC there aren't very many holes on the bulkhead but it is possible that the drains at each side of the scuttle panel are blocked & as the car moves around during driving / cornering the rubber seal around the heater intake is letting water past to run down the bulkhead.

I found one of the scuttle panel drains blocked on my car when I swapped the wiper motor for a 106 GTI one & after I unblocked it over a pint of water must've drained out.

One other possibility I can think of is from somewhere around the windscreen seal due to it perishing with age.

Graham.

feb

Cheers guys, I made some progress today.

I lifted the carpet and luckily there was no rust but a not so pleasant smell and the sound proofing was soaked and cracked so I cut the soaked part and ditched it (does anyone have a spare one by the way?)

From the pictures it looks like the leak is coming from the windscreen seal as there are traces of water/humidity behind it (not very visible in the pic I know) and the corner of the plastic in the passenger footwell is soaked so water seems to be coming from upwards. I also remember when I had the windscreen replaced a couple of years ago they didn't use a new seal.

I can move the seal with my hand up and down easily, it doesn't seem very bonded to the bodywork

IMG_6003resized.jpg

IMG_6009resized.jpg

The bulkhead seal seems OK - if that is the one you are talking about? -

IMG_6008resized.jpg

But I am not too sure where the drain holes for the scuttle panel are and there seems to be a screw below the scuttle panel , maybe water is getting in from there?

IMG_6005resized.jpg

IMG_6006resized.jpg

Cheers everyone, my car must be about 2kg lighter now, lol :rolleyes:

How easy is to replace the windscreen seal? Can it be done by one person or I'd better of ask a windscreen repair company?

Edited by feb

davey205

feb ive resealed that corner of my scuttle panel and it still leaks so im thinking it most likely is the windscreen seal but i don't like to touch the windscreen for fear of making it worse

feb
feb ive resealed that corner of my scuttle panel and it still leaks so im thinking it most likely is the windscreen seal but i don't like to touch the windscreen for fear of making it worse

Bugger, I was hoping it would be that. :ph34r: I will disappoint you as the leak has reduced (and the condensation on the inside of the screen disappeared) but I am still getting some water now despite the new windscreen rubber. Less but still there. We haven't actually had a torrential rain so the leak could even be the same as before.

Also after fitting the new rubber seal it was sealed on the inner lip with windscreen sealant.

Can anyone point to the bulkead seal you mean (with a photo) as I don't understand where it is.

Also any other hints as to where the water might be coming from and where to take it to get it fixed? I am starting to get annoyed with this.

P.S. maybe this topic should be moved to the Body section.

Edited by feb

davey205

ah man! i was almost 100% sure it would be the windscreen seal on both our cars although my peugeot man does seem to think its the bulkhead seal - i too am unsure where that is feb.

welshpug

205 windscreen seals are not bonded, though corrosion often occurs under the seal causing leaks.

My brother found his 306 had gone rusty on the lip above the screen, when two cracks appeared each side, but that is a bonded screen, think how many cracked screens there would be if the 205 was bonded! :ph34r:

Edited by welshpug

jimbob

I had a similar problem as this, had a new windscreen put in and found a leak so i was sure it had to be to do with that, check around the corners of the window seal and check that there are no places where it has got tucked under itself as thats what happened to mine.

Also after i did this i still had a slight leak which i managed to find after a very frustrating few days to be the rubber tube cprotecting the wires and such going from the main part of the car into the passenger door it was not sealed properly and allowed rain water through it.

so worth a little check for both of them as they dont cost to check and will take you but a few mins to do, hope it helps and best of luck with all your leaks out there :ph34r:

SurGie
my Peugeot man does seem to think its the bulkhead seal - i too am unsure where that is feb.

I'll try to explain where it is a little better than my other posts, underneath the battery try is the

inner wing inner edge that looks about 5 or so inches in width. It goes down towards the bulk head, very near the brake pipe

hole at the side. There is a thickish amount of body sealant there that stops the rain getting in.

On the other side it can rust there as well if the master cylinder has been leaking through the years, i have a little

rusty hole there in my 205 GTI project.

I will get you a photo in the morning when i pop over to the garage in case both of you are still unsure.

johnsimister

Another possibility is blocked drain holes in the sills, so the sills fill up and the water eventually overflows into the footwells. A friend's 1990 car recently did this. He discovered that the drainholes had been blocked from new by excess seam sealer or underseal so the sills had been filling up for years. When he unblocked the holes a very large torrent of water came out, thankfully not rust-coloured.

John

feb

I traced the water coming down along a cable behind the A-pillar; this cable continues down to the footwell and explains how the water ends up there.

I have now to strip the roof interior (not sure how yet) in order to see if it is coming from the sunroof drainage holes or the plastic rubber seal running along the A-pillar and the horizontal part of the roof. How can I access the sunroof drainage holes and where does one start to strip the roof interior?

Cheers :(

Edited by feb

Henry 1.9GTi

I have the same leak. Passenger footwell fills up. Have seen the leak with out trim or a facia. It comes from very high up as the water path comes from behind a boxsection that connects the interior bulkhead and wing panels. No idea what it is! but reading here with the hope of solving. Likely causes seem to be the wing to bulkhead sealant or windscreen rubber/rust.

feb
I'll try to explain where it is a little better than my other posts, underneath the battery try is the

inner wing inner edge that looks about 5 or so inches in width. It goes down towards the bulk head, very near the brake pipe

hole at the side. There is a thickish amount of body sealant there that stops the rain getting in.

On the other side it can rust there as well if the master cylinder has been leaking through the years, i have a little

rusty hole there in my 205 GTI project.

I will get you a photo in the morning when i pop over to the garage in case both of you are still unsure.

Cheers dude, looking forward to it, as they say a photo is 1000 words :(

Mic

Hi I have the same sort of leak but on the drivers side, have checked the sunroof drain holes and they seem fine, have now started to strip the whole interior to find out where it is comming from, should have the dash out some time this week and then will hopefully find where it is coming from? Also does anyone know if the roof lining is glued in because it appears to be?

davey205

hi mic good to see your going whole hog and stripping it completely maybe then we can get some answers to this elusive problem

Rob Thomson

I had this years ago with my 309 after I'd smacked it into a bank on a road rally. I remember sitting in the car in a rain storm with the passenger footwell filling at an astonishing rate. Turned out to be the windcreen seal; although there didn't appear to be any damage from the impact it must've given the shell a good twist and broken the seal. As it was just a rally car I smeared a bit of silicon sealant along the joint between the shell and the seal. Job done.

SurGie

Sorry for the delay on these photo's, my new camera had trouble downloading them because of the new Windows Vista.

bulk2.jpg

bulk1.jpg

bulk.jpg

Your problem might not be caused by this area but its worth posting to let others know.

If this sealant is missing then it will eventually rust the bulkhead on the inside away, i had this problem big style

on my last Graphite 205 gti and welded a new plate there.

On the rusty photo bit is off my current car and it will need a small amount of welding here, it has been caused by leaking brake fluid

no doubt.

Hope its helped :rolleyes:

feb
Sorry for the delay on these photo's, my new camera had trouble downloading them because of the new Windows Vista.

bulk2.jpg

bulk1.jpg

bulk.jpg

Your problem might not be caused by this area but its worth posting to let others know.

If this sealant is missing then it will eventually rust the bulkhead on the inside away, i had this problem big style

on my last Graphite 205 gti and welded a new plate there.

On the rusty photo bit is off my current car and it will need a small amount of welding here, it has been caused by leaking brake fluid

no doubt.

Hope its helped :wub:

Cheers, that looks fine on mine (see post 31) on both sides.

Mic

Well dashboard is now out but still can't find where the leak is coming from. Doesn't appear to be from the windscreen, seems to be coming from the bulkhead somewhere. The area that SurGie has shown in his photos seems fine on my car so I am thinking it will be one of the seals where wires, speedo cable or steering column comes through. Will keep on stripping till I find it!

ScoobyJawa

I went out to mine today - been stood a while and the first time since all the snow has gone, passenger side carpet soaking :)

Opened the glove box and that was swimming too - so I guess this must have come in through the windscreen seals to get into the glove box? (its not coolant)

tidypug

could it be from the sunroof? I have a leak that fills up the passenger footwell as well, i've changed the windscreen seal which made no difference. When we had the really heavy rain a few weeks ago i found water running from the roof lining, down the plastic windscreen pillar trim and down into the footwell. When I get chance I'm going to take the roof lining out to see exactly were the leak is.