• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davey205

Water Trickling Down Right In The Corner Passenger Footwell

davey205

bit of a re post but I'm really worried about it, what are peoples bets on cause? i still haven't found exactly where its coming in just that it starts in the corner and DOESN'T get worse after going through puddles

hexhamstu

heater matrix?

welshpug

wrong side stooo, most likely to be the windscreen seal I think.

davey205
heater matrix?

i should add ...... its clean rainwater not coolant

Edited by davey205

hexhamstu
i should add ...... its clean rainwater not coolant

it's probably rainwater then..................... :P

Pob
it's probably rainwater then..................... :P

I think it's the same as mine... Have a look behind the sound proofing material in the corner. If its the same as mine, water was running behind the back of the wing and down the back of the inner arch. The glue/sealant had gone causing water to leak inside the car... only very slightly but enough to soak the underlay.

Dan

davey205

ill know more when i rip that soundproofing out hopefully i really don't want to repair the wrong thing my mechanic said he's done a few 205's with the sealant coming away from the wing / arch like yours and he has a way of doing it without needing to take the wing off but like i say really don't want to repair wrong thing will look into it further at weekend

large

Never mind the water what about all that CLASS A!!!!!!

Pob
Never mind the water what about all that CLASS A!!!!!!

I just cut the sealant out where it was getting in (A very small amount) and re-sealed it with Polyurethane

Dan

Pob
rear window seals.

Wouldn't all that powder be wet? It's definatly coming from the bulk head area

Dan

SurGie

Maybe an idea to get a hose pipe and test all the for-mentioned area's to see which one it is.

steve@cornwall

I've just cured a leak like that on my 1.1! was due to the drains in the door being blocked - but then, the sound of a couple of gallons of water in your door shouldn't go un noticed. I reckon that's just the right place to have tracked down the door seal

davey205

the plot thickens like i say it doesn't get worse when going through puddles i just leave it overnight - it rains and so on the rest of the car is bone dry i really think its either the sealant cracking up from the front wing seam thingy or the windscreen seal as the door seals are bone dry

davey205
Maybe an idea to get a hose pipe and test all the for-mentioned area's to see which one it is.

yeah will be running the hose this weekend guess ill have to re powder with class A again like someone mentioned hehe

Veero

Damn 205s! I've just found an inch of water in the rear left footwell, sunroof isn't obviously leaking, door drain hole is clear. Had to pop up the little plastic bung in the bottom of the footwell they use to drain the chassis when galvanising just to let the damn water out! :)

welshpug

Veero check your 1/4 window seals :)

Pob
Veero check your 1/4 window seals :rolleyes:

Peugeot should of added Bilge pumps as optional extra's for the 205's. Mine had a few leaks when I got it, Window seals, in the corner of the bulk head as mentioned, boot seal and finally the ariel. No puddles so far

Dan

Simes
Peugeot should of added Bilge pumps as optional extra's for the 205's. Mine had a few leaks when I got it, Window seals, in the corner of the bulk head as mentioned, boot seal and finally the ariel. No puddles so far

Dan

They will leak through the rear passenger window seals, the water runs down behind the trim.

Lift the seat up and you'll find a rusty patch.

The water then trickles from there all the way to the front footwell, as it is the lowest point inside the car.

davey205
I think it's the same as mine... Have a look behind the sound proofing material in the corner. If its the same as mine, water was running behind the back of the wing and down the back of the inner arch. The glue/sealant had gone causing water to leak inside the car... only very slightly but enough to soak the underlay.

Dan

hiya im not 100% sure where you mean it was coming through on yours ? ive had a look at my scuttle and sealed an area up today where a slight pool was collecting

GLPoomobile
They will leak through the rear passenger window seals, the water runs down behind the trim.

Lift the seat up and you'll find a rusty patch.

The water then trickles from there all the way to the front footwell, as it is the lowest point inside the car.

I'm not convinced by that.

The area under the rear seats is concave, so any water going in to that area is simply going to pool there. Add in the seat fabric sitting on top and you have a nice big sponge to soak it all up. I guess if there was enough water sitting there and no seat on top, it could slosh forward when going down hill or under heavy braking, and find it's way on to the floor. But under normal circumstances there's no way (IMO) that it's going to find it's way from under the rear seats to down at the front of the passenger/driver footwell.

It could however come down behind the trim ahead of the rear seats and drip straight down in to the floor area. But again, you've got the carpet and the sound proofing to soak it all up, so you have to have a huge amount of water entering for it to be able to find it's way to the front.

There's a lot of different places that leak on a 205. Some more common that others. But it makes sense to look in the closest vicinity of the wet patch to find the culprit.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Veero

Sorry didn't mean to divert the thread. Took out the rear left seat base today and sure enough the tell tale signs of water trickling down from under the trim on that side, I reckon you guys are right, window seal. Short of getting a new seal what's the best remedy? Luckily no signs of rust under that back seat though, no water under it at all just collecting it in the foot well.

welshpug

warm them up in a bucket of hot water and carefully stretch them, then re-fit, make sure you make the aperture as clean as possible, if you want apply some sealant to help, make sure its non-silicone though as silicone gives off water as it cures, car panel sealant is good for this purpose.

SurGie

Have you looked at where the inner wing meets the bulkhead down towards the lower back bit, as 205's have body sealer there

and iv seen a few of them missing.

One of my 205's had it missing and through the years water was laying in-between the gap, it rotted the bulkhead where it meets the floor

pan on the inside, where the water is in your car.

If this is the case then you will most likely find rust there somewhere.

Simes
I'm not convinced by that.

The area under the rear seats is concave, so any water going in to that area is simply going to pool there. Add in the seat fabric sitting on top and you have a nice big sponge to soak it all up. I guess if there was enough water sitting there and no seat on top, it could slosh forward when going down hill or under heavy braking, and find it's way on to the floor. But under normal circumstances there's no way (IMO) that it's going to find it's way from under the rear seats to down at the front of the passenger/driver footwell.

It could however come down behind the trim ahead of the rear seats and drip straight down in to the floor area. But again, you've got the carpet and the sound proofing to soak it all up, so you have to have a huge amount of water entering for it to be able to find it's way to the front.

There's a lot of different places that leak on a 205. Some more common that others. But it makes sense to look in the closest vicinity of the wet patch to find the culprit.

It runs in behind the trim, it will either collect in the 'bowl' under the seat or run down the seam into the passenger footwell. The reason I know this is because I've 'hose piped' this car and the last to troubleshoot.

The rear seats are set up off the body work so will not soak up any excess.

The water runs under the carpet and soaks up in the soundproofing, if you have a bigger leak it runs through to the front. The moisture collects in the sound proofing and then goes nice and mouldy.