• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davey205

Water Trickling Down Right In The Corner Passenger Footwell

Callum

I've removed the screw and the bonnet release and it still doesn't want to pull down like I said I think it's the plugs that are on the clips that are stopping it. I couldn't see anything on the scuttle I think it's the seam sealer on the inner wing 

Edited by Callum

Telf

Callum,

I don't want to be a doom monger but I went through the same process you appear to be on. Water leak in exactly the same area, I removed the front wing thinking its got to be the seam sealer you mention. It wasn't.

In the corner of the scuttle panel there is a layer of sealant. Inspection reveals nothing but if you strip it all off you may find a load of tiny pinprick holes. In my case the metal was wafer thin, light rain didn't cause any issue but a bit heavier

and the trickle started.

Also it did appear to me when I first had this problem that it was on the weld line- the water seemed to appear from the sealant running along the line, in actual fact the water was simply behind the sealant and happened to be appearing at a certain point where the sealant was still good- it was just tracking down behind invisibly.

when I removed the sealant I discovered what you see in the attached picture- I did take a screw driver to it so some of the holes are larger than when I initially found them!

20171027_123237.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

if you read my post below- around page 4 you will see what I mean

Callum
17 minutes ago, Telf said:

Callum,

I don't want to be a doom monger but I went through the same process you appear to be on. Water leak in exactly the same area, I removed the front wing thinking its got to be the seam sealer you mention. It wasn't.

In the corner of the scuttle panel there is a layer of sealant. Inspection reveals nothing but if you strip it all off you may find a load of tiny pinprick holes. In my case the metal was wafer thin, light rain didn't cause any issue but a bit heavier

and the trickle started.

Also it did appear to me when I first had this problem that it was on the weld line- the water seemed to appear from the sealant running along the line, in actual fact the water was simply behind the sealant and happened to be appearing at a certain point where the sealant was still good- it was just tracking down behind invisibly.

when I removed the sealant I discovered what you see in the attached picture- I did take a screw driver to it so some of the holes are larger than when I initially found them!

20171027_123237.jpg

No problem I would sooner know all the possibilities even if they will be bad, is the big hole in bottom right the drainage hole? I think it would be a good idea for me to get the wing off and remove repair and reseal that whole front corner of the car

Telf

yes its the drainage hole.

Be careful taking the wing off- they crease very easily- again have a look at my thread as I detailed the various issues I had taking my wings off.

Callum

I've just had a look through it's very helpful!

Callum

Re sealed the a post today unfortunately didn't have time to remove the panel closing in the top corner of the scuttle but it looks okay from under the dash

20190112_112902.jpg

Callum

Still got this leak, I've taken back to metal and checked for rust and then re sealed the scuttle corner, changed the windscreen seal for one from the museum and while doing that cleaned any bubbling up and treated it but there wasn't any in the screen aperture that would affect the seal. My scuttle panel is a bit broken where it sits under the seal has anyone had experience with this cause the screen to leak? 

Telf

callum,

the leak on mine was from literally tiny pin prick holes in the metal- also the area around the captive stud where the vacuum box for the sun roof attaches

Callum

There wasn't any rust at all in that area was completely rust free and I used spray selaer to seal all that area off 

Telf

Have you viewed the area from the glove box side?

Peel the sound proofing back and look at the area for anything odd or water track marks. Also in the corner of the bulkhead is a angular strengthening bracket  with holes cut in it. Look inside there as well.

miamigtimark

If you look up behind the glove box there is a small box section / strengthener from A pillar to bulk head . The leak is possibly coming from behind there. Had this recently on my car on the drivers side though.

There is no access unless you remove material from the box section.

There is a old thread where some has removed the box section. Made the repair then welded back in.

I opted to use a hole saw to gain access.

C54D2526-C65B-46F1-A98E-3367C7CB3F0C.jpeg

3974C882-DA90-48A5-A483-0257D85328FD.jpeg

Telf

That's the area I'm on about

Callum

Okay I'll look into that I did remove the dash to trace the leak and it came in from the very top right in the corner