• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[misc_work] 205 GTI 999

cybernck

After recently selling my Black 205 GTI 1.9, I haven't planned on buying another 205 GTI but this one was simply too good to pass.

XU9JAZ (1.9 Motronic Cat, 120 bhp). First registered in 1991, but it's a 1989 model. 205 GTIs are very rare in Bosnia (and we're not

able to import such old cars), let alone ones in original unmolested condition, that have never been crashed - actually, this must be

the best example in Bosnia! I wished to have such a 205 GTI but I didn't even know this one existed, up until recently - so, miracles

do happen! ;)

205gti999_001.thumb.jpg

However, the real reason I bought it is a tribute to a silver 205 GTI 1.9, which made me and my father fall in love with 205 GTIs,

20 years ago! You only live once and 205s have been a big part of my life so far, therefore I owed this one to buy it and cherish it.

205gti999_003.thumb.jpg

It initially drove like a dream but all of a sudden developed some electric problems, which made it stall upon warm up. After quite

a bit of troubleshooting, I traced it to a duff ECU relay, but unfortunately the starter died because of all the cranking. Not exactly

what I was hoping I'd be doing with my "new" 205 in the first days of ownership :-(. I had to get the PAS bottle fixed too.

205gti999_006.thumb.jpg

The tail lamps were the biggest bodge-up I've ever seen on a 205 - a mixture of Ph1 electrics, Ph2 reflectors and a Ph2 cover

and no revers lamp! I replaced the tail lamps for Ph1 items. I put some old orange front indicators on it too, for the retro look

and becuase one of the clear ones fell apart. The car back together and it fired up straight away and ran for 20 minutes with

no problems... and then the same problem came back! I was devastated. Spent next couple of days replacing EVERYTHING

electrical. It turned out to be a duff rotor arm in the end.

205gti999_008.thumb.jpg

The car got it's first wash, at last! Then it was time for an obligatory photosession. A dull day, but it pics came out not too bad.

As it stands, it's completely original, even has the original faded bumpers, except for the aftermarket lower driving/spot lamps.

205gti999_011.thumb.jpg

205gti999_016.thumb.jpg

205gti999_022.thumb.jpg

It's got the early interior - to be honest, I've always hated it and preferred the later black/red chequer trim, but it has grown on me,

as it goes really well with silver exterior. No rips, holes or missing bits. Only one of the driver's side seat bolsters is a little bit saggy.

Seats and carpet could do with a wash but that will have to wait for spring.

205gti999_019.thumb.jpg

And the small, but all-important, finishing touch!

205gti999_024.thumb.jpg

Not quite sure about the plans with the car, I'll give it some more thought and present my ideas later.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gti999

Galifrey

Very nice, love the Ph1/1.5 half leathers

SurGie

Great looking 205 gti there cybernck, tbh though the piccys are a little small.

Lan
;) keep it standard its in great condition, I love the earlier seats T16-esque

chrisj21

Lovely looking car, you must be very happy!

Silvers next on my list!

Ludi

Very nice looking 205.And you are right about VERY RARE GTIs,but it's not only in Bosnia,they are rare cars in all Balkan.

Pls keep it std it looks very nice. :wub:

MrG

nice one, yep keep it original.

Those keys, is that how they came when new with those fobs? I've seen these in the brochure but thought it was a marketing thing!

1 FAT PUG
Those keys, is that how they came when new with those fobs? I've seen these in the brochure but thought it was a marketing thing!

someone did a load of the keyrings think they was in group buy, i could do with some

Leet205

car looks great nck as said on retrorides! Re: keyrings yeah, maybe we could get another group buy arranged?

Rich705

Mmmm....nice car!!!

...I'd be up for the keyring group buy if it goes ahead!

Gentrix

I dont think it will go ahead in the near future.

This group-buy had its origins in a french peugeot board.

To get a second group-buy made up, 205gti drivers and french-classic (german board) had to do a combined group buy.

So that already happend and there must be again a minimum demand for about 500 of each badges to even consider a new one.

andi

Mmmm....nice car!!!

...I'd be up for the keyring group buy if it goes ahead!

Richie

How peugeot intended, nice mate.

mr_exe

Looks a very nice car indeed, and like all Gti's managed to play up straight away :)

jackherer

Looks like its a keeper and its certainly in the right hands :)

taylorspug

More silver ones- nice! It looks like mine did when i first bought it too, only a left hooker. :)

cybernck

And I wouldn't mind it looking like your looks now :).

Galifrey
And I wouldn't mind it looking like your looks now :D.

Best get your a$$ in gear then :D

feb

Nice one! Welcome back to 205 ownership :D

You couldn't last long without one, I wonder why :D

Didn't Motronic cars come out after 1992/1993?

cybernck

Well, I didn't go anywhere, the 205 Mi32 is still here :).

They came in way earlier in continental Europe.

feb

I forgot about the Mi32 :D

I just had a look at the bigger photos, the car looks in great condition indeed! I wish mine was like that now :lol:

pug_ham

Looks great & as already said, a keeper.

Its good to see that cars such as this are hidden everywhere, I just need space to store one should I manage to chance finding one. :lol:

tbh though the piccys are a little small.

Follow Nik's link at the bottom of his post for the full album. :D

Graham.

cybernck

Time for some thoughts about the plans. I've been daydreaming about a bare-shell 205 GTI restoration for many years,

and although I've very nearly given up on it by selling my black 1.9 GTI, I think I could make it come true with this car.

However, I'm having some problems deciding in which direction to take this project, both in very near future and when

the time for full restoration (eventually) comes. The very moment I bought the car, I've had a plan to refresh and fit

a very low mileage 1.9 Mi16 engine in it. However, after driving it back home, I kind of liked the way a standard 1.9

with long gearing drove (I got used to 4.4 final drive on my ex-1.9), so I decided to keep the standard engine, along

with the rest of the car. Especially having in mind that GTI's are very scarce here, let alone good original ones!

But then the misfortune of stalling and dead starter happened, so I was again tempted to rip it all out and replace it

with the mentioned Mi16 engine, but, now that it runs fine again, I can't help but wonder if it's actually worthwhile

"killing" the originallty of this very car for the sake of 30 bhp? Especially when I've got another 205 with, not one,

but two Mi16's in to keep me entertained :ph34r:. TBH, I *would* like it to have more power, but I think I'll keep it stock

(for now) and only consider a (unlikely) T16 engine swap (as that would be justifiable), in the future.

I definitely need to make a DIY quickshift asap and I'm definitely going to get upgraded gear-rods too. The shocks

will be replaced by Koni Sport adjustables I already have (or with GAZ), along with the "obligatory" 30mm lowering

springs and I may lower the rear end to suit (however, I'll be keeping the full original setup as spares). The brakes

will probably get upgraded to GTI6 calipers and discs, but that's about it. It will be a road car, so no buckets, cages etc.

As for the looks, I'm quite fond of completely standard looks, "enhanced" by a bit of lowering. I'm having a retro

phase at the moment, so I'm going to keep it as it is, for now, just freshen it up. However, long term, I'm having

second thoughts. If it was a Ph1 1.6, I'd be more than happy to keep it as it is, even down to "pepperpot" wheels.

But it's a Ph1.5 1.9, just like my ex Black 1.9 was. I've never had a proper Ph2 205 GTI so I've always secretly

lusted and desired for one. I was even a bit sad my "new" 205 wasn't a Ph2 model (though I like it as it is now)

and the temptation and urge to "fix" that is high... very high!

Therefore, in the long run, after I've had enough of retro-looks, I will definitely go for full Ph2 exterior and then,

perhaps, interior too. I'll try to keep spares of everything original, so I could go back to Ph1.5 looks in the future.

But when the time for the full restoration comes, it will be a very difficult decision what direction to take, considering

I'd be keeping the car forever in that case. Whether to go for the Phase that I will prefer when the time comes

(be it Ph1.5 or Ph2) or to restore it to full classic-car look (including standard suspension) Ph1.5? Like I said,

if it was a Ph1 1.6, the decision would be much easier...

I'd appreciate your input and thoughts (impartial please :)) on this!

Thanks.

cybernck

Now that was really helpful! :lol::)

Baz

the Ph2 looks on silver looks alot better, fresher, IMO, Dan's car certainly with all the black trim looks great, often the silver/lighter colours are let down by old grey trim, inside and out. I say do what you want, it's your car, and sounds good to me!

dale205mills

I have brought black outside trim for my silver phase 1.5 for when I do a bare shell rebuild, I have allso painted a few bits in the engine bay satin black as I think black and silver look good together and alot of my zinc plated bits and bobs looked tired.