• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoshGti

[misc_work] Black 1.9 Gti As Peugeot Intended - Atm.

JoshGti

Hi all, have recently purchased a standard 1.9 GTi, the Idle issues were thrown in for free! :rolleyes:

Will get in depth pictures up when i pick up the car, but for now the advert picture is Attatched.

post-14691-1259087433.jpg

Bodywork looks sound except frot passengers wheelarch, dont know if it has been welded and fillered over or just fillered over, either way, looking forward to cracking on with it!

Reg is F780 RVN, dont know if anyone has previously owned it, or knows of the owner/wheelarch bodger lol?? Apparently it has had a recent engine rebuild, would be nice to verify this with any previous owner.

Look forward to settling in the forum.

Josh

Edited by JoshGti

JoshGti

First reply to my own topic, excellent, anyone know where i would be able to get hold of a new rear hatch panel (the bit that has the badges on) As the previous owner removed it with intentions of a smoothed boot.

Tom Fenton

New one from the dealer, or secondhand from someone on here breaking a car, or ebay.

luke1987

Nice car mate hope you have fun getting on with that and about that rear moulding autofive had a few in the other day when i was there standard and carbon look and i think my mates got one in his garage ill check and pm you Luke

luke1987

PM Sent

NeilGTi85

Looks nice and clean!

Autofive body trim's are not OE!

The rear panel your after is £80 from pug :rolleyes:

davey sprocket
Hi all, have recently purchased a standard 1.9 GTi, the Idle issues were thrown in for free! :)

Will get in depth pictures up when i pick up the car, but for now the advert picture is Attatched.

Bodywork looks sound except frot passengers wheelarch, dont know if it has been welded and fillered over or just fillered over, either way, looking forward to cracking on with it!

Reg is F780 RVN, dont know if anyone has previously owned it, or knows of the owner/wheelarch bodger lol?? Apparently it has had a recent engine rebuild, would be nice to verify this with any previous owner.

Look forward to settling in the forum.

Josh

I saw it on Gumtree a couple of months ago, over Christchurch way wasn't it?

When you say front wheelarch, do you mean the inner one?? Pain to sort out, you're welcome to see the work that I did & had done on my front inner arches.

If its the wing, they're bolt on, shouldn't have too much trouble getting a black one.

Wish my bumpers looked as good as yours! Hoping for an improvement in the weather to re-colour mine!

Somebody did post a couple of weeks ago to say there was a 205 gti at Trent's in Poole, if its still there it might have the bootlid panel on?

regards,

Davey

S33GAV

I do like a black GTI! :) I have one of those rear plastic things with the badges for sale - my for sale ad should be up any time now.

JoshGti

Yeah it was over christchurch way, recognised the guy selling it as i think i went to school with him?

Well the inner arch has some beads of weld on it and somone has put filler over them at some point, the filler is clean so i doubt its been there long, Ive done a fair bit of welding on other cars but would be good to see the level of work on your car if possible?? Do you have a build thread or pictures??

I go to trents a lot because of my other projects and did see the gti, was a 1.6 i think in black, had a few chrome bits on, a 4 branch, lowered etc so probably a looked after car. There was also a Rallye 205 there too, but not often in the "french" section so couldnt tell you if theyre still there!

The condition of the car is REALLY good, one rust bubble on the whole car about 50p sized over the rear window which im happy about. Only cosmetics to sort are new headlights and indicators as they are rather tatty and that rear panel. Again, more photos over the weekend when i pick it up!

Edited by JoshGti

JoshGti

Picked up the car yesterday, impressed and not all at the same time. Was under the bonnett sooner then i thought i would be!!?!?

Before i get onto my story, a question, where can i get a new SAD valve from?? Direct from peugeot or somewhere like Eurocarparts?

So -

7.30pm pick the car up from christchurch, 8-9 miles from my house with a mate and a tow car, towing doesnt go to plan as car towing decides its got a slipping clutch!

8pm, give up on towing and drop down a side road to see if i can get car to idle so can be driven home.

8.10pm, realise ive got to get my hands dirty so send my mate back to my house with keys to get tools so i can crack on with the fixing.

8.10-9.30pm - pulling car apart with my keys and a pocket knife to see whats wrong in the dark, pull off the MAF and associated hoses from the "induction kit"

9.30pm - mate turns back up and provides some lighting for me and i can see part of the problem! Throttle cable was pulled all the way back so that the butterly was all the way open to compensate for the fact that air was leaking from the zip tied rubber hosing attatched to the MAF. (wondered why it smelt VERY rich)

Fixed the leaking hosing with jubillee clips i had in bag of tools, and thought what kind of person does this?!?

10.00pm - Saw a metal object hanging under the Dizzy and follow al associated hoses before realising its the SAD, bolt has snapped off of it (adjuster) and where its hanging the hoses have all pinched shut! Tie it up with zip ties and noticed that it was attatched to the "induction kit" with a household hose attatchment - joy.

10.45pm - STILL AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, close the bonnett and rearrange some hoses to see if it works, car now idles at 2000rpm, PERMENANTLY!

Took it for a blast down the road and it pulls away by itself because of the high idle.

11pm - Driving it down a nice long straight road hitting close to triple figures with a BIIIIIIIGGGG smile on my face.

I love my GTI.

JoshGti

Another update still without pictures unfortunately, First state of affairs was to get it running properly so the spanners came out!

After using the search function (very helpful providing you get keywords right!?!) I went to hunt for the most popular air leaks etc.

Took out idle screw from throttle body and blasted it, cleaned out the TB, cleaned out the MAF, still terrible!!

Thought nothing of it until like an idiot i remembered a certain post about a bolt that attatches the oil filler to the manifold, low and behold the bolt is purely NOT THERE, not loose, just missing, so borrowed one from under mates bonnet and sorted it.

Obiously all the MAF idle mixture and TB idle control were way out so it spluttered a bit and then flooded so battery is on charge and will try again later after putting the screws back to factory.

Second update, after the terrential rain we have had my 205 had a nice wet passenger side footwell, not the drivers, jsut the passengers.

Went on a leak hunt and found that at some point (my best bet anyways) is that the battery leaked. Because the suspect welding turns out to be a lot of patches and the join between the inner wing an the bulkheaad has ROTTED THROUGH in that corner and you can put your fingers from the engine bay into the footwell.

Time to get the grinder and welder out....!!!!

Edited by JoshGti

davey sprocket

So, did you get anywhere with this then chap??

JoshGti

Not currently got that far, started attacking the rust with a screwdriver to get the full extent of it and got some new front tyres in prep for MOT after welding.

Had to break my mk2 fiesta zetec to get some funds and make some space on the driveway. So have been busy doing that and not cracking on with the pug which has been sat at a mates lock-up.

Engine issues are all sorted. Took off SAD and got a silicone Hose to replace the dogey rubber elbow and sorted out the TPS so now it pulls away without jumping all over the place.

Updates and photos will be due shortly.

davey sprocket
Not currently got that far, started attacking the rust with a screwdriver to get the full extent of it and got some new front tyres in prep for MOT after welding.

Had to break my mk2 fiesta zetec to get some funds and make some space on the driveway. So have been busy doing that and not cracking on with the pug which has been sat at a mates lock-up.

Engine issues are all sorted. Took off SAD and got a silicone Hose to replace the dogey rubber elbow and sorted out the TPS so now it pulls away without jumping all over the place.

Updates and photos will be due shortly.

Nice one matey.

Yep, get some pictures up, be interesting to see what you're up against.

I try to take more photos of the work I do these days, for my own benefit as much as anythng else. Sadly I didn't take many in the process of having the inner arches sorted.

If you know when you're going to be working on her, let me know and I'll see if I can get over for a nose!

JoshGti

More than welcome to come round and have a nose seeing as your pretty local mate, had a quick go under the bonnet on saturday and the car is now safely home!!

It now know why the 205 is so popular, the car is standard bar the magnex rear section, not lowered or anything, and yet it handles like nothing else, i was toying with my brother in his 1.6 vts the whole way home and he had no chance. Evenm without PAS cornering is brilliant!

On a bit of a downer, i got her home and gave her a good polish so i could see what im up against as the bodywork looked pretty decent, but have found some bad points. Somebody at some point has splatted emulsion over the read end of the car!?! Not too much hasstle and one side needs a good bit of elbow grease to restore the paint.

As im only a mere passenger i cant post wanted adds yet but i do need some things! A rear panel still, phase 1 so it matches the rest of the kit. And a very decent nick black bonnet if anyone has one or both this would be amazing. Bonnet is more important! Please could ppl PM me as i have the money waiting to get this sorted asap!

Other than that, davey sprocket, ill be working on the car throughout this week so ill keep an eye on here in the next couple of days to see if your about.

Josh

JoshGti

So after a good few months of not being on here for my own thread, only looking at others trying to find answers to questions and such, finally some photos of what i have been dealing with.

The rust when from a few patches to not much left, better to replace the lot instead of work around cutting up little patches i thought! The front half of the wing has now been etch primered and sprayed over (only with a rattle can as its hidden by washer bottle. Not as clean as the initial comment (never view a car in the evening in low light!!)

Im now after some Rallye vents to replace the spots as i dont like them pretty much, got myself a decent nick auto bonnet from the scrappies, shame its blue, so if anyone knows of a decent place to get a panel resprayed down south then let me know!!

The other bits and bobs to fix are: Sunroof trim, Rear quarter rust holes (behind the lights), a hole in the drivers sill which was FULL of filler from previous owner, had to chisel it out!!

Been down the scrappy also and got the rear speaker grills and some speakers instead of the 6x9's (The boot now holds itself up!! RESULT!) And a new parcel shelf to replaced the holey one, also got a rear panel but no badges so need some of them too (incase anyone has them pm me!) Also got a new drivers seat with no holes and the bolster fully in-tact from a 1.6 gti in the scrappies for £20 which i was delighted by!

That is it so far, more welding to do to the front end, and thats all that done, just tidy up the wiring a bit more and re-earth it all and a few other jobs. Dont wanna go to carbs or management so my plan is to install the motronic setup from the 1.9 bx/405sri/zx to remove the AFM and install a proper airbox instead of a cone filter as this will be a daily, Will need to get hold of a battery box too as the battery tray will be the space for the airbox!

Any advice, please give it as im open to most people suggestions or if you have any of the above things i need/want or will need please contribute!

post-14691-1282571513.jpgpost-14691-1282571497.jpgpost-14691-1282571470.jpgpost-14691-1282571533.jpgpost-14691-1282571480.jpgpost-14691-1282571413.jpgpost-14691-1282571429.jpgpost-14691-1282571461.jpgpost-14691-1282571393.jpgpost-14691-1282571385.jpgpost-14691-1282571402.jpg

JoshGti

Is there anyone in the local south area tomorrow that would coma have a look at the car with a decent dizzy and afm, or any time this week? Am havign trouble starting the thing after having the loom out to refresh some of the connections?! Help would need to be out of the kindness of someones heart as cash is a luxury right now lol.

davey sprocket
Is there anyone in the local south area tomorrow that would coma have a look at the car with a decent dizzy and afm, or any time this week? Am havign trouble starting the thing after having the loom out to refresh some of the connections?! Help would need to be out of the kindness of someones heart as cash is a luxury right now lol.

Although I'm struggling a bit for time at the moment, I might be able to get over at the weekend if that's any help.

JoshGti

If your about your about, so help would be much appreciated if you can give it mate, Ive spent days pulling my hair out wondering whats wrong with the car, it keeps trying to start but sounds like its detonating then just stops on the starter.

Tom Fenton

Sounds like the timing is wrong. With a helper cranking over the engine and the dizzy clamp nuts loose, slowly swing the dizzy around. You will tell which is the right direction when it makes encouraging noises and tries to start.

JoshGti

Strange you should reply Tom as i was jsut reading your thread, bad news on the diff!

Engine was running before i removed the wiring to re-do the earths and the loose spade connectors to the oil temp sensor etc. Which is strange, the only things that are different are a new black distributor lead, i re-connected the sensor in the sump to the loom as the wire had burnt through and ive replaced a few coroded wires with new.

Replaced coil and amp with known good items and there is a spark on all cylinders, the timing was fine before but i did re-check it and the bolt holes in both pulleys line up still?

I got my brother to turn the engine over whilst i moved the dizzy, and with the dizzy twisted fully towards me it seems to want to fire? (retarded ignition?)

Ive used the search function to death and checked for air leaks and allsorts, i just think theres something a fresh set of eyes might see that im not maybe?

rob_furious

its not the old 180 degrees out trick is it? iv known people to do that trying to be funny and you spend hours trying to find out whats wrong lol

JoshGti
its not the old 180 degrees out trick is it? iv known people to do that trying to be funny and you spend hours trying to find out whats wrong lol

Well, ive checked everything so many times it wouldnt surprise me if ive done something stupid like that!!

How would i know if its 180 degrees out??

richsmells

180 degrees out, i.e. the cap round the wrong way, or the leads mixed up. Easily done.

If you still need a hand or some troubleshooting ideas, i'm fairly local! :lol:

post-71-1209852729_thumb.jpg

(Mi & 8v order is the same)

Edited by richsmells

Miles

Thats a project for sure, A late Reg cross over Phase model with the cover over the coil

Nice to see more local car's pop up