• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
td_dan

[engine_work] 1.9 Gti White Engine Revival

td_dan

Right well iv been on here a few weeks now and asked a couple of questions and read hundreds of very interesting threadsa and thought i better show you mine.

Iv ALWAYS wanted a 205 gti so i went a bought the 1.9 GTi i bought it about 3 weeks ago with HG failure and its been stood for 18months so i knew it needed some work. So £275 lighter i went and picked it up and trailored it home. This weekend i styarted stripping the head off and the problems started.

Oil filler bottle both pipes seriously corroded and broke straight away with mayo pouring out of the 1. Also every bolt you can find has been rusted to hell but needs must.

Below is a quick pic i took the other day.

101_0270.jpg

I also went and bought a new head of ebay that had alreadi been skimmed and fitted with a fast road cam. Or so i thought below are pics of the head i can still see marks from the old gasket so im assuming that it hasnt been skimmed.

101_0272.jpg

101_0273.jpg

101_0274.jpg

101_0275.jpg

101_0276.jpg

101_0278.jpg

101_0279.jpg

Let me know what you think and stay tuned as there will no doubt be lots of questions :)

Edited by td_dan

DanielWatts

Not bad for £275!

Like it, look forward to the progress!

td_dan

what do you think about it being skimmed because it doesnt look like its done to me

omega

if its been skimmed it should be smooth, flat,clean and shinney

so from your pics i would say no.

just read your thread again and it says you stripped the head of the engine,so yes it could have been skimmed in the past

do you know if the hg went before the head was skimmed? or did the hg go head skimmed and rebuilt then hg goes again later?

Edited by omega

td_dan

thanks for your reply. The head is still on the car at the minute this is a spare head which i purchased as it had the fast road cam alreadi installed. The buyer said in his advert that it had been skimmed and was readi to fit

Galifrey
if its been skimmed it should be smooth, flat,clean and shinney

so from your pics i would say no.

just read your thread again and it says you stripped the head of the engine,so yes it could have been skimmed in the past

do you know if the hg went before the head was skimmed? or did the hg go head skimmed and rebuilt then hg goes again later?

Glad someone spotted this, it could have been skimmed etc before it was fitted to a previous engine. If it had been skimmed and a fast road cam fitted it would seem to be pointless if it had never been fitted (unless for unfinished project).

Only way to test for sure is check combustion chamber volumes.

Paul_13

Good little project, is it rust free?

Bargain at that price though.

Will you try fixing the engine thats in there or fit another?

.....16v :)

td_dan

na theres a bit of rust on the sills by the rear wheels.

Gonna keep the 8v for now see if i can get it running as iv never done anything like this before on a petrol on on my 306 td

i ripped out the engine and replaced it with another so this should be interesting.

Paul_13

Fair enough, i've been lucky (touch wood) with rust.

I've got a 306 td on its second engine, racking up 180,000 miles now.

Solid engine shame about the rest of the frenchness.

td_dan

my 306 is off the road this week while i get some new driveshafts but its on 218,000 and going strong lol.

td_dan

Finally got an update wahey........

Old head finally off and heres pics of the damage.

SP_A0005.jpg

SP_A0006.jpg

does this pic look right also what are these called?

SP_A0007.jpg

old head.......

SP_A0008.jpg

SP_A0010.jpg

SP_A0009.jpg

Is this bit sticking up a bad thing?

and the gasket....

SP_A0004.jpg

WHAT CAN I CLEAN THE BLOCK WITH NOW THAT THE HEAD IS REMOVED AS IT NEEDS DOING BEFORE MY NEW HEAD GOES ON.

Edited by td_dan

omega

the bit sticking up is a valve and looks fine, the headgasket has gone between 2 and 3 cylinder

i find brush on jizer is good

td_dan

how do you no its gone between 2 and 3? is it cuz thats where the gasket is all cracked or some other reason? where can i get jizer from?

Edited by td_dan

omega

yes as the gaskets torn it wont seal,cant remeber where i got mine from as ive got a 5lt can that ive had ages but most degreases do a good job but the brush type is best

td_dan

cheers omega youve been very helpful. sorri if i sound stupid but iv neva stripped an engine down like this before on really done engine swaps and i cud do them in my sleep now lol

Rob!

not lookin too bad dude. if you need any help just give us a buzz and ill come help out :lol:

ive got a spare head if you want it mate? its my old one, in fairly good condition?

Rob!

You should get some pics up of the actual car dude, i want to see it lol

DrSarty

TD Dan>

You really need to get yourself a Haynes manual; it's even free to download in M@tt's signature.

This way you'd understand what all of the parts are. Not that we don't like answering questions, but you ought to know things like what pistons and liners are, and that we know the HG's gone between 2 & 3 because we know the cylinders are numbered 1-4 from the flywheel end of the engine, and perhaps more obviously that the breach in the gasket's in the middle!

It will help you a great deal if you get the Haynes, a few slices of battenburg and a pot of tea, and read through the complete engine removal, strip and rebuild section.

I recommend you do that first.

td_dan

iv recently done that sarty cheers mate and rob ill try and get complete car pics wen i get chance to start work agen lol

DrSarty

Please.

It's not necessary to end every sentence with 'lol'.

Just shout if you need any more assistance.

td_dan

duely noted

td_dan

UPDATE TIME.

Right last week i drove down to taunton to see nickaliath for a FREE 1.9 gti engine as i cudnt be arsed to get the head sorted on the old engine and this 1 was free. or so i thought.

Once i got down there i had a mate with me who i asked to fill up the van with a jerry can of diesel i had in the back. BIG MISTAKE. He broke the key in the lock.

So with a bit of patience i got the key out the lock and into the ignition to turn it. Nothing. After a few tries we removed the steering column as it was an LDV we were gonna remove the back of the ignition coil and use a screwdriver to turn it over in the process the immobiliser coil around the barrel was broken. So after several hours of tryin absolutly everything and anything including a new key we gave up and got a train home at £111. so much for the free engine.

after getting home i sorted out some breakdown cover as i had none (whoops) and i also emailed a bloke about a new immobiliser coil.

what a palarver.

So today i went back down armed with breakdown cover and a new immobiliser coil. I fitted the immobiliser thinking it would still need recoding and as the battery was dead i phoned the RAC. After a jump they finally got me started and i was able to get my new engine home at 9:15pm tonite.

So tomorow work begins on completly removing the old engine and cleaning the engine bay.

sorry for the long story but i thought you should all know how stressful its been lol. And remember if somethings free theres usually a catch lol

td_dan

UPDATE TIME.

Right so i decided i need to crack on with this so this weekend i decided to finish disconnecting the old engine and get it out so sunday afternoon all that was done and i was left with the following.

SP_A0027.jpg

SP_A0028.jpg

SP_A0029.jpg

Iv left lot of pipes connected to the car as i will just connect them up when i put the new engine in.

U will notice in the first pic theres a bit of rust underneath the driers side head light so after a bit of poking i found that is was just surface rust. So out with the grinder it was and i got it back down to the metal and got it all primered.

SP_A0030.jpg

SP_A0032.jpg

All i need to do know is put some coats of white rust protection and that should sort it as it wont be seen so im not to bothered for now.

Once the engine was out i set about removing the gearbox and clutch readi for the new engine.

SP_A0031.jpg

As you can see i dont have a garage so im doing the best i can with british weather but its slowly getting there.

Iv also found that when i removed the bumper all the mounts were completly rusted so had to be grinded off so ill be replacing all them aswell.

Right thats it for today hopefully some more during the week when i mate up the box and engine.

Rob!

Its coming along dude

If you need a hand any time id be more than happy to come round :lol:

I wanna see it anyway.

You Got much more planned for it?

td_dan

cheers bud na not yet i just wanna get it road worthy so i can have a blast with the standard 8v for a month or so then u know me ill start fiddling and messing cheers for the offer bud i might just take you up on that because i gotta wire it all back up now :lol: not my favourite job.

iv also got updates for later with new block now in a mounted all up