• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Revometer

dirtdog

Sorry if this has been covered...I tried a search but I could not find any results.

I'm not sure if this as a common fault with 205s but my revometer on my STDT has a life of it's own. Sometimes it works fine..then it bounces around the place..and then sometimes it doesn't work full stop.

I'm guessing it's a loose connection of some sort but if anyone has had this problem and found the cause...can you save me pulling my hair out and please kindly let me know? Thank you

Paul_13

My mate on here has the same problem, would be handy if someone knew.

On the 306 engine there is a sensor on the flywheel located at the back of the engine (towards the bulkhead), it has a plug which from memory is located on the front of the engine.

The connectors can corrode and gives you a dodgy signal. My 306 is the same, works when it's cold then cuts out.

GLPoomobile

Revometer? Is that the one next to the petrolometer, or is it the one on the other side next to the waterometer and oilometer, I can't remember ;) Sorry, I'm just being facetious :(

I would guess it's a dodgy connection in the wire from the coil. I don;t know anything about STDTs, but on the GTIs you have a thick turquoise wire that goes from one of the pins on the coil back to the tachometer. It's a shielded cable. Sounds like you have a dodgy connection with that wire.

Tom Fenton

No coil on a diesel

It will be the sensor down the back of the g/box either sh1tted up with oily crap or otherwise on its way out. However all diesels seem to have one so you ought to be able to source a new one from the scrappers.

bales

Revometer :(

sorry ;)

dirtdog

Whats so funny about that? Would you rather me call it a rpm gauge or a speed sensor or some other type of word? Tachometer sounds equally as stupid. And besides you knew what I was talking about didn't you!

Don't worry GLP...when are you not facetious! :(

Thanks for the USEFULL replies. As for the completely useless responses..would you like to borrow some of my torque?... I know you're a little down on it ;)

bales
Whats so funny about that? Would you rather me call it a rpm gauge or a speed sensor or some other type of word? Tachometer sounds equally as stupid. And besides you knew what I was talking about didn't you!

Ha ha well you could have called it a rev counter or the tacho...you know the actual name of it!! I had just never heard someone call it a revometer before and it sounds pretty amusing...

Thanks for the USEFULL replies. As for the completely useless responses..would you like to borrow some of my torque?... I know you're a little down on it ;)

People do seem to have a bit of a bee in their bonnets about type R's dont they!...never really noticed the lack of torque actually as they are very close and short geared so they go fine in the mid-range.

You can't have it both ways anyway from a smallish 4 cylinder without FI, though my next purchase for it is something from a little company called Jackson Racing....might go a little better then :(

Edited by bales

jackherer
People do seem to have a bit of a bee in their bonnets about type R's dont they!...never really noticed the lack of torque actually as they are very close and short geared so they go fine in the mid-range.

I'm pretty sure a type R has 20ft/lbs or so more torque than a 205 STDT. The STDT has about 130ft/lbs, very similar to the Mi16, an engine that is often described as lacking in torque. This proves that some people mistake an engine that revs for one with no torque, while also believing an engine that doesn't rev has a lot of torque.

SurGie

I have this problem with my GT, i give it a pikey slap and it works for a little while then after a while it goes all over the place again

or it wont work at all. If i dont use the car for a long while, it works fine for a few miles then it goes bad again.

I think mine is something to do with the connections in the speedo RPM tacho itself, or the circuit board. Im thinking of getting

a Rallye one or a DT one, afaik they are the same sort or speedo RPM tacho, ph 1 GT type.

Have you tried to hit the top part of the dash carefully yourself to see if its the speedo ? If it does what mine does then it could be the same sort of

reason mine is going wrong, if not then it is most likely the cable or gearbox connection at fault.

Edited by SurGie

bales
I'm pretty sure a type R has 20ft/lbs or so more torque than a 205 STDT. The STDT has about 130ft/lbs, very similar to the Mi16, an engine that is often described as lacking in torque. This proves that some people mistake an engine that revs for one with no torque, while also believing an engine that doesn't rev has a lot of torque.

I have discovered that if you ever try to defend a Type R and explain the above that they are not actually lacking in torque then you get labelled a 'fan boy' so in general I just let them get on with it and enjoy driving it!

;)

That is some amsuing information though cheers for that! The person who was slagging my car off actually has a turbo diesel with less torque than my 'Vtec kicked in Yo' Civic!! :(

jackherer
I have this problem with my GT, i give it a pikey slap and it works for a little while then after a while it goes all over the place again

or it wont work at all. If i dont use the car for a long while, it works fine for a few miles then it goes bad again.

I think mine is something to do with the connections in the speedo itself, or the circuit board. Im thinking of getting

a Rallye one or a DT one, afaik they are the same sort or speedo, ph 1 GT type.

Have you tried to hit the top part of the dash carefully yourself to see if its the speedo ? If it does what mine does then it could be the same sort of

reason mine is going wrong, if not then it is most likely the cable or gearbox connection at fault.

You haven't read this thread properly, its about 'revometers' not speedos.

jackherer
The person who was slagging my car off actually has a turbo diesel with less torque than my 'Vtec kicked in Yo' Civic!! ;)

Yes, but even if he had a GTI6 engine it would still be about 5ft/lbs down on the type R, and lacking in revs, hence the 200bhp or whatever that type Rs make.

bales

Not wanting to get dyno arguments here but I had rr run the other week and I made 185bhp at the wheels with a full 2.5" system and CAI and did a 14.8qtr mile @ York 3 weeks ago.

So I really am impressed with these engines, especially as mine has 75k on still revs to 8K like its nothing!

Would love to put one in a 205 ;)

(right thats enough off topic now, sorry!)

Edited by bales

SurGie
You haven't read this thread properly, its about 'revometers' not speedos.

Rev meter/rpm tacho that is within the speedo, thats what i was talking about.

DrSarty

Aaaah.

You meant the instrumentbinacleometer then George.

;)

SurGie

Sorry but that word is too big for me to comprehend, ;):(

Back on topic.

jackherer

Really?

if not then it is most likely the cable or gearbox connection at fault.

Whats that all about then?

SurGie

Are we talking about the rev clock or the speed clock ?

Edited by SurGie

bales

Clock?!

Am I the only one getting increasingly confused by this thread ;)

I was under the impression by the use of - the initially amusing 'revometer' - that the problem was related to the tacho?

Surgie - have you been smoking something?

SurGie

Eh, i don't smoke or drink at all, medical reasons.

The speedo (ie 10/20/30 mph etc) looks a little like a clock face as does the rev 1000rpm,2000rpm etc.

jackherer
Are we talking about the rev clock or the speed clock ?

Most people in this thread are talking about the tachometer / rev-counter / 'revometer' :lol:

SurGie

Same here, glad all that has been made clear now :lol:

happygoron

Funniest thread in ages.

Dirtdog: You got the stdt back on the road now?

CaptainK
I have discovered that if you ever try to defend a Type R and explain the above that they are not actually lacking in torque then you get labelled a 'fan boy' so in general I just let them get on with it and enjoy driving it!

I get the same with my FTO MIVEC (Mitsi's versions of Vtec Yo!) too, just assume because its a high revving engine that it must be slow etc. 197bhp standard with 8250rpm rev limit can't be too bad eh and looking at the figures supplied above it has more torque than a MI16 and GTi6. :rolleyes:

welshpug

same as the RX8's 1300cc wankel, that has more torque than an MI16 and gti6!