• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan_stdt

[misc_work] 1.9 Stdt Upgraded Inside And Out

ryan_stdt

defo the turbo. ive swoped the turbos over now the T2 i took off had alot of play in the shaft so hopefully that will stop the oil coming out of the exhaust.

i didnt change the H/G as i think that the turbo had something to do with the mayo biuld up in the oil filler cap but ill have to see what happens with my new turbo.

Blocking the coolant intake???

ryan_stdt

new pictures on my photo bucket page

jimistdt

That's looking great now, a very tidy looking install. :) It's a credit to you.

How did you get the paint to come up so good?

BusEngineer

Looking good fella :P nice work

ryan_stdt

the paint work wasn't too bad to start with, apart from lots of carpark dent all down both sides. i use turtle wax dark green polish and turtle wax wax.

im looking at a hybrid GT15 turbo but its going to set me back about £400 from turbodynamics if i supply an old unit, does anybody know any where else that hybrids turbos

Oberon

Hey Ryan your little project has got me off my arse to start stripping my old engine out.

Did you drop your engine out from under ?

ryan_stdt

good to hear lol, what car you got, green stdt?

yeah, but only beacuse i didnt have an engine crane at the time, its a lot more work than lifting it out with a crane tho.

weejimmy

dont use a gt15 just put a normal t2 on it, there good for 28 psi boost all day long, and depending on what else you have done i doubt youl get enough fuel in to burn all the air at 28psi anyway.

Oberon

Yeah Oberon green with 1.9gti wheels, a little tatty when its bright out. Although in winter after a wash and wax and a bit of rain does look quite good. Lots to do, mainly getting it running again.

Rear beam is also f'd I think just where its been sat for a few months, the rear wheel lifts off when jacking up the front from the side !

Can't afford a rebuilt beam so I'll have to tackle it myself.

Nice little project Ryan, there is hope yet.

Raj

ryan_stdt

i was running a T2 but the oil seals failed so i swoped to the GT15 because it was the only spare i had at the time, and i like the rate at which it spins up at but it has no where near the top end of the T2. do you not think its worth getting hybrid turbo and stick with the T2

im going to start playing a little more with the feuling soon, i.e. gov mods, advance mods and im looking for a 10/11mm head for the pump and in the furture a longer and higher lift cam.

weejimmy

even with the gov mod / advance mod and 11mm head the t2 will still cope.

i would not buy a hybrid turbo ever unless it was a race car and i HAD to win,

you can always find somthing from a stock car that will be 90% what you want. for 10% of the price proberly

for the td the stock t2 is prety solid turbo, id do all the pump stuff and just run 22psi etc on the gt15 then swap for a t2 if you want more top end power.

i doubt youll be unhappy with that

ryan_stdt

i might just buy a low mileage T2 then and concentrate on upping the fueling before i spend the money on a hybrid turbo

im going to reseach i bit about the advance mod because im not 100% how to do it

Craig89

Just had a read through this. Great project, something a little different.

ryan_stdt

cheers mate

jimmy- hows your 2.1td coming along

weejimmy

ok a guy on 306.net just ran 146 bhp 250 lbft on his 306 td with just pump mods.

11mm head , gov mods , and advance mods, @ 26 psi on top mount intercooler and everything else stock.

advance mod is grinding about 3mm off the advance piston so it goes to the end of its travel without hiting the cover.

down the front of the pump

on the 1st pic ths pump has a solinoid fitted, the other pump it dosent, but its the same thing realy.

solinoid at the very botom of pic, painted blue by man at scrappys. . . . thanks for that

clio002.jpg

remove cover / solinoid (this is a difrent pump to 1st pic)

406parts002.jpg

dont lose oreder of shims/ springs

406parts003.jpg

cut this wee bugger down untill it can come right out and not push against the cover.

406parts004.jpg

you need to remove the cover on the back too, so you can push the piston out with your finger / penis whatever suits at the time.

the 2.1 is very much on the back burner now as a very good friend blew his 306 up and needed an engine that day (sunday) for his work on monday. and i being a genorus kind of guy took it out my 205 and its in his 306 now, so i need another engine

Edited by weejimmy

ryan_stdt

nice pictures cheers for that makes it much more clear, that kinda torque in a 205 would be crazy, torque steering everywhere.

im going to find another pump and do some mods to it as soon as a can get down to the scrappy

shame about your 205, hows is the 1.9 going

weejimmy

erm bent a rod i think

its my misses car and she drives flat out everwhere, including threw a 2ft deep puddle,

took cam out and it still wouldnt rotate so im guessing bent/ snaped rod,

got another engine for £60 on the bay thoe, so not all bad.

just swap over all the good bits from hers to the new engine and drop it in. think ill rebuild her old engine as its got a recon head on it anyway, mite as well do the rest. maby get bottem end ballanced etc too,

welshpug

what does the solenoid do Jimmy?

quite intrigued by this as I've never taken a diesel pump apart, also what is the 11mm transit/landrover head? got any pictures of that?

I picked up some bits off a PSOOC member in the Forest of dean yesterday and he had a 1.9 DT engine on a pallet with a Volvo D5 variable vane turbo on it :(

Edited by welshpug

ryan_stdt

£60, thats not bad

im looking for a new engine on ebay atm and was thinking about getting it balanced with the flywheel or maybe try and fit a 2.1 crank to it, to see if/how much the displacement imcreases.

i think that the soleniod has something to do with the advance but im not 100%. a standard 306 pump has a 9mm head so putting the larger head on increses the amount of feul goin in to the engine. i've taken an old pump apart bout im not sure which parts of the 11mm head you need from what i gather you need the head and some of the enternals of the pump like the camplate, rollers and plunger.

weejimmy

solinid basicly lets it advance more on start up / cold running. its not connected on my car thoe (406 2.1)

realy should wire it in as it is good for the veg oil.

the 11mm head comes of loads of cars / vans. if you find the part number you can see what size head it has, it dosent need to be 11mm just thats the craze just now. supose it runs ok on a 11mm and flows more than a 10mm so folk go 11mm, 12 is possibe but they start to stall when you put your foot down at low revs. even a 11mm dosent like it,

a vv turbo would be amazing on a td, id love to see how he gets it to actualy work, as far as i know its usualy ecu controled, not looked into it mind as i dont realy mind a bit of lag.

weejimmy

oh and the 1.9 deffo bent a rod :)

trb009.jpg

ryan_stdt

that looks pretty bent to me lol.

what makes it stall do you know, is it two much fuel.

do you know the parts that i need for a 11mm head conversion, i.e cam plate, rollers, head, plunger, do i need the springs from the 9mm or the 11mm

ian_p

looks lovely mate! keep it on the road!

Paul_13

That rod's a bit bended!

I'm back Friday mate, sorry thought you knew I was in Leeds. You can pop round to mine if you want and grab those bits I got off Baz for ya. Let me know if you do, i'll let my mum know so they don't think your a gypsy.

'Dam soon :lol:

Oberon

Hey Ryan I take it your up and running now ?

I've got hold of a 306 td engine for mine. Is there no way the 306 pas setup will fit into a 205 ? If not what belt do you use when you remove the pump ?

What other jobs are best to do while the engine is out in the open ?

By the way I was hoping to keep the 306 gear box.

Any help apreciated

Cheers Raj