• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ryan_stdt

[misc_work] 1.9 Stdt Upgraded Inside And Out

ryan_stdt

cheers, that 2.1td exhaust looked abit of a mission, i hoped it would be as simple as changing the elbow

i mite have a go at taking the elbow of tonight, i bit try once on a gt15 turbo and it had a weird star bolt on it that was simular to the turbine shaft bolt, but i see to nite

i re-built my quick rack last night (cheers paul for helping a liittle bit haha)

Paul_13

B)

What you mean a little bit, you were fannying around with the subframe

ryan_stdt

i fitted my subframe and steering rack last night, and il put the wish bones and arb on tonight and maybe those spax rear dampers in have (if i can dig them out of my very untidy garage)

oh and i am going to patch up that rusty plug bit in the rear footwell

Paul_13

Bet it feels better, you'll have arms like Hulk Hogan parking it :)

I've a bit of sheet metal in the shed if you need it to plug the hole.

Whats up with the drum brake in your pics? Bearing FUBAR'D?

Edited by paul_xiii

ian_p

coming along nicely mate!

ryan_stdt

cheers,

that picture is of my 306 rear beam when i went sideways into a curb at about 30 mph in the snow

ryan_stdt

i ve been working nearly all weekend, with paul, to get the engine out of my donor 306 and get it ready to put in to the 205, and it is pretty much ready to go in.

all the coolant pipes are ready

headgasket changed

406/ xantia manifold fitted

new clutch

everthing has had a good clean

the one major problem that i have had is getting the clutch to work because im running a hdi gearbox (pull type) on a 306 td clutch (push type) with a 205 clutch cable.

i think i sorted it by conbining parts of the 305 clutch cable with the 205 clutch cable

Paul_13

I think the 306 is a pull type and the 205 box is a push.

Think the cable mods will work, be nice to get a fresh set of eyes on this.

Guest ebrett

Cool project, keen to see it progress

Out of interest, have you fitted the rear beam yet?

I have just fitted a 1.9Gti rear beam on my TD and i'm not sure wheather I need a bias valve or not to prevent lockups.

Keen to know what you planned to do.

Edited by ebrett

ryan_stdt
Cool project, keen to see it progress

Out of interest, have you fitted the rear beam yet?

I have just fitted a 1.9Gti rear beam on my TD and i'm not sure wheather I need a bias valve or not to prevent lockups.

Keen to know what you planned to do.

cheers,

i haven't got round to fitting a ream beam yet and im not sure abouts bias valves to be honest. i haven't driven mine yet to test the brakes because ive fitted 306 gti6 front brakes and a 406 M/C and im not sure what effect this will have on the rear brakes.

i haven't updated my progress for a while so here goes,

the engine is in and running BUT with one major problem, i cannot seem to select 5th and reverse gear on the HDI gearbox. the gear linkages dont seem to be obstructed in any way.

Im not sure if this would effect anything but in order for the linkages to fit on the gearbox i needed to swop one of the gear arms on the gearbox from the 205 gearbox, could i have dislogded something in the gearbox??

post-14344-1259620923_thumb.jpg

Edited by ryan_stdt

Paul_13

The box did not feel right at all when we were having a fiddle with it the other night, did not want to know about 5 and reverse.

Anybody any ideas?

ryan_stdt

we've solved the gearbox problem, it turned out to be something simple, the gearbox arm wasn't aligned properly. cheers paul :)

all i need now is a new coolant intake block, drop links and a fuel line and she will be ready for the road (when i have enough money to insure it)

Oberon

Hey Ryan nice work, I was thinking of doing this with my stdt before I bought a gti engine for it.

Just out of interest is that a immobilised pump and if so how do you wire it ?

Cheers.

ryan_stdt
Hey Ryan nice work, I was thinking of doing this with my stdt before I bought a gti engine for it.

Just out of interest is that a immobilised pump and if so how do you wire it ?

Cheers.

the pump i used had sometype of chip that was wired to the solenoid that was enbedded in a rubber case. i had to remove the case, with a hammer and screw driver, to get to the solenoid. to wire it up all you need to do is to connect an ignition live to it ,and bobs your uncle.

finally the car is on the road now, all i have left to do now is lowering it a little, making the rev gauge and giving it a tune.

ian_p

any pics of it all together? have you sorted the interior too?

ryan_stdt

the interior is almost finished i only need the rear door cards and a few small bits of trim.

i get some pictures up soon when i get my computer fixed, i only have internet access when im at a mates house at the minute

will.m

looking good, any updates?

ryan_stdt

i need to lower it still, ive got some gti 6 front dampers and im looking for some 30-40 mm lowering springs. and hopefully i will be recieving some 1.9 gti torsion bars and arb soon.

i got four new toyo t1r tryes yesterday, havn't had the change to give then a proper test yet but ive heard they pretty good.

ryan_stdt

hi.

not a happy up date unfortunly, i think my turbo has seen better days as it is blowing alot of oil out of the exhaust. this is what happens when you 2 bar boost pressure thought a high milage turbo.

other than that my car is almost finished, it all lowered and stiffened.

pictures soon

Oberon

Hey Ryan, whats the steering like without help ? Would you concider an electric pas pump ?

I never fitted the gti lump to my stdt (mainly cos it arrived in peices). I may stick with diesel power, would you recommend this conversion ? Are there there any bits to be extra aware of ?

Cheers Raj.

ryan_stdt

the steering fine, a little heavy when stationary but i like im now in control of the car now plus there less to go wrong lol

yeah i would recommend the conversion and defo the HDI gearbox.

the only hick ups that i faced was

the clutch cable - i had to combine parts of 306 cable with the 205 cable

ryan_stdt

the steering fine, a little heavy when stationary but ifeel like im now in control of the car now plus there less to go wrong lol

yeah keep it diesel i would recommend the conversion and defo the HDI gearbox, ive never been in a 205 with the 2.1 lump in but im sure its torquey

the only things that i faced were

the clutch cable - i had to combine parts of 306 cable with the 205 cable

swoped over the on over the gearbox arms

im running gti-6 brakes so i needed 1.9 gti hubs and driveshafts

the turbos are angled slightly different but i used a new down pipe gasket and it does seem to weak

other than those it was fairly simple to do

as well as my turbo failing i think that my H/G is going (even tho it only done under 2k) as ive got i bit of mayo under the oil cap and the coolant sometimes has a few little bubbles in - ive got a week off from wednesday so hopefully it lasts til then

Edited by ryan_stdt

foreigner

when I did the conversion 3 years ago there was only 1 another like that,

Now sooooooooo many,

I am glad to see more and more people like diesels.

Oberon

Nice one Ryan, why did you have to block a coolant intake ?

Is it deffo your turbo smoking, maybe worth checking your fuel pump timing if that has been disturbed.

Cheers.