• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nickaliath

[car_overhaul] Nickaliath's 205 GTI Overhaul

CosKev

Looking good :D

Are you leaving the resonator box on the inlet manifold??????

Just done the same as you,cleaned up inlet,painted,bolts being chromed as we speak :D

I've binned resonator box and blanked off hole into manifold :D

nickaliath

ive ;left the resonator on there as some one told me it helps with torque???

nickaliath

Im going out today to finish polishing up the roof after the nightmare i had the other day!!! should be ok once its all been buffed up. :lol:

Pictures to follow later once polished up :D

Ive got to attempt to make a seal between the sunroof seal and window, should be fun!!! LOL

Im going to give the interior another clean as got dusty from the roof work.

pics to follow later.

bigryrs
Im going out today to finish polishing up the roof after the nightmare i had the other day!!! should be ok once its all been buffed up. ;)

Pictures to follow later once polished up :D

Ive got to attempt to make a seal between the sunroof seal and window, should be fun!!! LOL

Im going to give the interior another clean as got dusty from the roof work.

pics to follow later.

Hi mate interesting read and very handy as im away to carry out this conversion myself! i have one question for you though and thats to do with the clearance between the servo and cam cover! how did you solve this problem? any help would be great cheers

nickaliath

I have tilted the servo upwards away from the cover, although i havent fixed it in place yet. Its not too difficult to alter.

Heres how much i had to bend the outlet manifold to fit. will be welded up tomorow! ;)

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

nickaliath

got the manifold welded back up yesterday, will post pics later. :)

CosKev
ive ;left the resonator on there as some one told me it helps with torque???

Oh right,be interesting to know for sure anyone??? B)

I just thought it was to quieten down the induction roar B)

welshpug

noooo, its a Helmholtz resonator.

Edited by welshpug

CosKev
noooo, its a Helmholtz resonator.

Oh right B)

Whats it do then??????? B)

CosKev

Found this,so its mostly about induction noise????? :huh:

The air induction system of an automobile engine contributes to the noise level generated by a passenger car. The contribution is significant in the perception of vehicle noise quality. There is a great value in reducing and controlling passenger car air induction noise.

Helmholtz resonators are widely used for noise reduction in vehicle induction and exhaust system. These resonators are usually mounted as side branch volumes to the main induction system, occupying larger space.

nickaliath

good find :)

nickaliath

heres a few pics of the interior :rolleyes: still have to do quite a bit in there to finish off.

DSC02914.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

nickaliath

got all the exhaust system fitted over the week when i had chance after work.

started the engine up again today to find theres a leek in the exhaust!!! found out it was a new fixing that holds the downpipe to the manifold had sheered off!!!! what a load of crap.

I will post up some pics tomorow night if i get chance keep promosing.

Edited by nickaliath

nickaliath

quick pic of the current engine state :lol:

DSC02936.jpg

hothatch

youve done a real godd job with the information on the thread credit too you! :)

if i unplugged the engione loom and removed it from the car could i mate the two looms together away from te car using your wiring guide ?

the engine bay looks lovely as well< you can really see the time spent. ;)

thanks

nickaliath

yeah thats how i did it, had both the looms out of the car.

the engine bay will look even better once finished. :)

CosKev
found out it was a new fixing that holds the downpipe to the manifold had sheered off!!!! what a load of crap.

Are you using the Gti6 downpipe?????

It will need reangling to match manifold if you are :D

Just a thought when you said manifold to downpipe fixings snapped,as the sealing ring does not sit straight if downpipe not reangled,and puts too much pressure on fixings ;)

Another thing,did you buy a gen Pug fixing kit?????I didn't ;) and I've since found out the gen Pug kit comes with three diffrent length bolts :)

Mines nearly finished now,just exhaust centre section to be made up to mate Gti6 de-cat pipe to my Magnex back box,then can see what she goes like B)

100_5166.jpg

nickaliath

i used the original 205 gti downpipe. i did slightly reangle it, maybe it was that but it seems to be holding at moment.

i bought a non genuine kit.

Your engine bay is looking very good, much tidyer than mine is currently.

nickaliath

got all the water hoses connected today, and ran it for a little while.

Noticed the fuel pressure regulator is leaking at the seal slightly.

When i rev it cold and let off it seems to hold a higher rev for a bit, think it might be a vacuum leak. the idle air control pipe is sucking in alot of air whilst cold.

i currently dont have the pipes connected that goes to the front part of the throttle body (black part with bigger pipe that goes to cam cobver and smaller pipe)

part is circled in yellow, can i just remove this part and put a breather filter on the cam cover outlet?? What does the black part do on the throttle body??

throttlebodypart.jpg

bigryrs

Very handy thread mate im in the middle of doing mine just now! i sourced all the parts and everything is ready to slot in so this is a very handy thread especially to do with the alternator issue as i wasnt sure which way to go with this but its solved now lol! keep up the good work mate cars looking good especially the seats!

blessed6383

looking good very nice and tidy

nickaliath

got the leaky fuel pressure regulator sorted today, so got the engine up to temperature and fan kicking in :o

just blocked up that black part on the front of the throttle body, and am going to fit a filter to the cam cover.

got all the water hoses sorted will post up how i did it in the next post once ive drawn it out.

got the rev counter functioning correctly today :o posted up how i did it on my other wiring thread http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;#entry1061606

soldering a connection on the back of the rev counter :D

nickaliath

Hello all,

Sorry i haven't posted up my progress on the car for a while, i've been very busy with other things recently.

I haven't done anything to the car lately unfortunately, but i am hopping to get back on it again soon.

Im in two minds weather or not to send the shell to a shotblasting company to get it back to bare metal and show any corrosion needing work.

nickaliath

Unfortunately the car is still in the same state as previous post.

I havent had the time to get on with it recently as im trying to get my mercedes ready to sale.

As soon as my mercedes is gone i will be straight on with the 205. Ive got some good plans for it and cant wait to get them underway.

shalmaneser

Have I understood you correctly - You've used the standard 205 downpipe and that mates OK to the 306 spaghetti manifold?

I always assumed that I'd need to get something welded up...good news if you don't.