• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

opticaltrigger

[race_prep] Turbo Hill Climb Project

And

I wouldn't use helcoils my self I don't like them and they often screw out with the bolt or stud and I have seen spark plugs repaired with them and the plug got blown out of the head, I would use time serts and I can't see why they wouldn't work in a block too.

Miles

I;ve time-serted them without any issues at all, the only helicoil I used with success was from a old guy who long retired now, but use a new block and the head bolt tightening is in a different league over the old blocks

opticaltrigger

Hi Gents,and thanks very much for the reply's.

I like those studs Wicked.

I like time serts to, first came across the idea back in the early 90's.They were marketed as case savers back then and were a little less refined,but the principal was the same.

We have bigger concerns than the choice of re-thread at the moment though.I forgot to mention it before but I think we found the cause of the original thread failure.

Looking down there with a torch after first drilling the hole you could see a small area of the aluminium right in the middle of where the thread would be that appeared to be like a flaw in the casting.To describe it as best as I can it looked a bit like when castings have contamination flaws or maybe porosity but it's almost impossible to get an accurate view of it down the hole.

But regardless, there is definitely a small flawed area of material there.You could see it once the drill had gone through and cleaned the aluminium around the area.

This of course in turn makes that area prone to a failure again regardless of the particular re-thread method employed.

With this in mind you can imagine the worries when thinking about the 300 degrees on bolt number 7,that's coming around in the next few days when the gasket gets here.

Still,at this stage there's no option but to do the bolt's up and see.But it is a worry though.The next update will be an important one either way.

Anyway,all the very best guy's

O.T.

opticaltrigger

Success !!!

The cylinder head is back on and fully torqued up.

We cleaned all the mating faces up,installed a new Payen gasket,and sat the cylinder head back on the block.

Lubed up a new set of Payen bolts with some of the ARP Ultra Torque lube and then went through the sequence.

At first we were really concerned about bolt number 7 letting go again but while pulling through the 300 degrees it felt absolutely fine and you could tell you were working off well lubed new threads.

I have to say it again though. My advise to anyone would be if you ever have one of these blocks in pieces.... Re-thread every single head bolt thread without so much as a second thought.You wont regret it.

I consider it in the same light now as the gasket set... It's just essential.

Anyway we have finally got the engine fully built and timed with nearly all the ancillary's bolted up as well.

Wow! what a long road it has been getting here though.All the problems and set backs there's been. In fact,I said to Rich today what a long time it seems to have been since the last time we stood and looked at the finished and built engine.

Once again, many,many thanks to all of you guy's out there who have lent your invaluable experience with these engines.You all know who you are and thank you.

It's not totally quite ready to go back in yet though as the new bigger turbo is on the move from it's previous location behind the N/S headlamp to right behind the cylinder head. It's just much easier to deal with the new exhaust manifold we need to make with the engine on the stand for now. But hopefully it wont be long now until it goes back in the chassis.

We took a few pictures of the finished engine earlier today all built up, shiny and new.

All the very best

O.T.

IMG_20160402_173904.jpg

IMG_20160402_173944.jpg

IMG_20160402_174000.jpg

IMG_20160402_173935.jpg

Edited by opticaltrigger
  • Like 1

wicked

Great job!! And you were allowed to do that in the kitchen?? ;-)

opticaltrigger

Hi Wicked,Thanks very much.

That's Richie's kitchen and, Oh yes!!!, building engines in the kitchen is just the best.

Warm,clean,dry,well lit and tea and coffee only 6 feet away.It's great. Does feel really good now the engines finally finished.

All the best

O.T.

opticaltrigger

It's been a while between updates again but lately a few things have happened again so I thought it a good time to another one.

As of the last update the engine was fully built and timed and a new exhaust manifold needed putting together to move the new bigger turbo round the back of the head.

Well, that's all done now and the engine's back in the chassis again with the turbo hung very nicely round the back of the head.This is going to make life much easier all round.

There's still some plumbing and a few other bits to take care of but were steadily heading towards a fire up soon.

Anyway,here's some photo's of things so far.

All the very best guy's

O.T.

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

camgti

Looking shiny!

Good work

I love how much effort you guys have gone thorugh. What a learning experience, keep it up!!

Cam

opticaltrigger

Hi Cam,

And thanks very much for the kind words.It's been allot of effort alright but we love it and very much looking forward to the first fire up now.

All the best

O.T.

Spesh

OT, did you just go for a log manifold? Can't quite make it out in those pics.

opticaltrigger

Hi Spesh, Nah,

We just got some short 2mm stainless mandrel bends off ebay,and a bit of 10mm stainless plate and Richie welded it all up.

The stainless plate had the exhaust ports and bolt holes transposed onto it and then the bends tacked on and gradually merged together into a turbo flange which also came from ebay.

Came out nice and didn't cost the earth either,with the turbo very close to the manifold and more or less central.The whole thing is over at the machine shop as we speak,having the flange faces flattened after the welding.Getting it back on Friday hopefully.

All the best and thanks for the reply

O.T.

Spesh

For curiosities sake would you post a pic of the manifold once its machined and back in your hands? I'm curious :)

opticaltrigger

Of course,no problem.

It won't win any beauty contests but It's gonna function just great.

Are you thinking of putting one together for yourself.?

All the best

O.T.

petert

Please tell me about the brakes on a turbo race car. I really have no idea. I assume it only has vacuum when you back off and you're actually on the brakes. Thus if you brake quickly twice, there is no assistance?

Spesh

I am OT. My lump is likely to go in with the stock turbo and mani for now with a view to changing it later one once all the niggles are ironed out.

wicked

Please tell me about the brakes on a turbo race car. I really have no idea. I assume it only has vacuum when you back off and you're actually on the brakes. Thus if you brake quickly twice, there is no assistance?

There is a non-return valve in de vacuum hose. So when you're off boost, it will 'charge' your brake booster. And during braking, you're off boost and it will 'charge' the booster. Never been let down by my booster, so it sees enough vacuum. Actually it is pretty similar to an NA that is WOT all the time.

Spesh

Also what Clutch are you running? I need to get one and I'm struggling to decide. I've got a gti6 flywheel in there so it'll be a 215mm 1.9 mi6 one

opticaltrigger

Hi guy's,

On the brakes Pete.I couldn't put it any different to how wicked just has,and we don't see any issues at all on the brakes.It all works very well.

On the clutch side spesh.I don't recall exactly what it was.Some uprated thing or other.But I imagine it's going to be a thing that needs to be addressed again in the future.

Wicked did mention some time back that with that turbo and injectors it should turn over something in the high 200s hp wise and I think personally the clutch and maybe drive shafts are going to make themselves known eventually.

We got the manifold back from the machine shop yesterday.Nice and flat now.So it's going on the engine now and that's another job done.

It's a great little thing really.Like I said it's not going to win any beauty contests but it's not for that.It's job is to route gas to a turbocharger with some easily available bits that don't break the bank.And as a plus,the whole thing weighs much less than the previous setup.The bends are 2mm and the flanges are 10mm.

It's gonna be very interesting to hear this motor when it first fires because there are a few changes now. The cr is higher,the cam profile is totaly different,and the exhaust is radically different.

Anyway here's a few photos of it

All the very best guy's and many thanks for all the support.

O.T.

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Edited by opticaltrigger

Spesh

Thanks for the pics dude :)

I'm still undecided on clutch too, helix seems to be the 'correct' choice but the price is somewhat offputting when you have budget constraints as I do lol :)

I've had some 306gti6 shafts modified by a company down here and am due to pick them up shortly, I'll chuck some pics on for you if you like as it seemed to be the best solution I could find given that motor factor shafts are mostly junk.

opticaltrigger

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in replying,have been in Scotland for a week or so.

But yes please, I'd love to see the pics of the shafts.What has been done to them?

All the best

O.T.

Spesh

I've got the shafts back but forgot to take pics sorry, I'll grab some when I'm up the shed next. As for whats done to them it all seems a bit secretive and they wouldn't 100% tell me. Apparently other people have tried and failed to mod them but they have them down to a fine art and they are used by many of the rally lads down my way. The company is Bar Props in Neath and they were done by Richard in there if you wanted to speak to them more - I'm happy to take them at their word as I've known them an awful long time :)

And

Satchell engineering do shaft bars to any length that take 406 joints I just got some nearside ones off them they are a nice product and not to badly priced.

lahondal

Nice to see you are progressing on the project. My manifold is slightly different but the same principle.

How do you have done the turbo return line? Mine needs to go between 2 runners and need to make 2bends because that.

wicked

It's not a bad thing if it goes between 2 runners, as long as the return is from metal between the runners and not rubber hose.

opticaltrigger

Hi Guy's,

We have the same thing Iahondal. The turbo oil return goes between two runners also but as wicked says it's no problem so long as it's metal there and it's always going down hill.

As a small update on things.The project has slowly been progressing quietly in the back ground.

Rich has made a really nice job of welding up from scratch a new stainless exhaust system and hangers,that runs 3" pipe all the way from the back of the turbo to the back of the car.3" really does look big under the car but there's still loads of clearance.Looks really good.

There's also some very nice changes to air intakes as well.The main intake that was on the bonnet has been removed and replaced with two separate ones which are much more subtle and blended better.There's also a new one which has been added to the roof to, which will allow for better cabin ventilation in the summer months.

This time were going to stay away from water based coolants completely and are going to use "Evans water-less coolant" instead.The benefits seem to be to good to ignore.No more rusty liners,hardly any system pressure,and a huge temperature range, to name just a few.Plus it's a perfect time to do it as the cooling system is totally dry,clean, and new.

There's a few small but fiddly jobs to complete yet though.

The new Mocal oil cooler has been mounted and just needs the pipes connecting up.

The new turbo still needs the coolant supply and return pipes connecting up to it.

We have to get a new wideband sensor installed in the exhaust.... And a million other tiny little things to probably.

But essentially it's all been quietly going the rite way.I guess that at some point in the beginning of the new year were probably going to be thinking about finally giving it a first fire up on this new motor.

I will try to get some progress photos posted up in the next few days.

All the very best

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger
  • Like 1