• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

[trackday_prep] My 205gti Trackday Project

rallysteve

Cheers Adam, might well need some springs when i work out what to do with my suspension :(

Got my crank/flywheel/clutch back from grinding and full balance. They look very good :D

DSC00386.jpg

Will now have to source some bearings, i went for the standard 0.3 undersize grind in the end so bearings should be easy enough to get (any suggestions welcome). I have also got to get hold of some 8v rods then look into getting the pistons machined to fit the rods and might as well get the pistons and rods all balanced too.

Steve

rallysteve

Found this today whilst organising the bits and making shopping list:

DSC00399.jpg

:)

Pretty much sums up my current luck. Seems when previous person changed the big end bearing on this cylinder (see earlier posts) they forced it to the side to clear the crank as there is damage to the rod at a matching point and the opposite side of the liner is slightly scraped.

This all but ruins my plans to rebuild this engine easily.

Steve

rallysteve

Latest news is: Carl has finished welding in my seat frames and I will hopefully be collecting the car on Sunday. I have bought another rebuilt engine from Paul with the cracked block, which I am going to see if i can get welded up to save having to swap the engine blocks and save the cost of all the gaskets/seals/bolts that would be needed.

I have also finished making my gear-rods, not too bad for £26 I dont think :) just need to decide what colour to paint them now.

DSC00407.jpg

Steve

rallysteve

I have also stripped down my 1.9 rear beam to see what condition it is in. As expected it needs a rebuild. The LH shaft isnt too bad but the RH one is badly pitted. The beam tube internally is good and externally just a bit of surface rust.

th_DSC00400.jpg

th_DSC00401.jpg

th_DSC00402.jpg

th_DSC00403.jpg

th_DSC00404.jpg

th_DSC00405.jpg

I still have to remove the old rubber bushes (will burn them out at work on saturday) and get all of the bits together I need for the rebuild.

Another thing to add to the list :)

rallysteve

Collected my car from Carls yesterday. Thanks to him for the top quality job and braving the best of the UK weather whilst we were loading it onto the trailer :)

DSC00409.jpg

Have put the seats and harnesses in temporarily to see how they fit and to have a play. Just need to fit the inner seatbelt mounting plate and ring to the tunnel when I get it back on the drive. Everything will then be coming back out for a lick of paint on the floor and to change dashboards (cage goes through outer vents in the dash) Then I can start running my electrics/fuel lines and brake lines :)

What does everyone think?

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

Steve

rallysteve

Its been a while since I last updated, things have been very slow recently with a lack of funds followed by cold weather. But I have finally managed to make some progress. The car spent all summer stripped to a bare shell and I tidied up the inside ready for a bit of paint on the floorpan where the welding has been done. After waiting for some reasonable weather I bit the bullet and went for it, to then find my spray gun had a crack in the side. So onto plan B, the roller. The finish isnt great but looks much nicer than a patchwork quilt of primers. Besides most of it wont be visible anyway :)

I have since re-fitted the rear cage hoop and my polycarbonate windows. However after cutting the panel out of the inside of the door, i found them to be very flimsy and not closing properly at the top. So i set about using some yacht rigging fittings to tension the door on the inside. I know it adds weight back in again, but i weighted all the fittings and it comes to less than 300g per door so i figured it was worth it. Althought the door is still a bit flimsy, it at least holds the right shape to pull it in along the top seal when closed. I have temporarily used crimp terminals to hold the wire to see if it worked. I will find something better in the long run. I still have to finish off tidying the cut edges and put some edging on them, and put some bolts through the window to hold it in place.

I have now moved onto wiring. Because the car was a phase 1.5 it has the orange indicators etc, which i like on the red colour. However when i got the shell the wiring had been modified for various things and I wanted to start with a good loom. Fortunately I kept the complete loom from my donor phase 2. It is good to know that plugging the phase 1.5 rear loom into the fuse box area of the phase 2 dash loom works fine :waytogo:

I have stripped the rear loom back and removed all the wiring which is not necessary and then re-wrapped it in loom tape. I am trying to avoid using the plastic covered crimp terminals so I end up with a professional job in the end. The next job is to tackle the main wiring loom, I will modify everything on it I need after I have finished removing all the redunadant wiring. One problem I did have was the wiring for the interior lamp, the phase 2 loom had a large black connector (10pins?) which took care of the remote locking etc, the phase 1.5 loom did not, so i had to re-feed the phase 2 loom up the a-pillar. All of the redundant wires I remove i try to keep complete with terminals which i take out of the plastic connectors, this means i can always re-use them elsewhere in connectors if I need to because im too cheap to spend £3+ on each connector from Peugeot! I have now got all of the lighting and instruments working correctly, although i am going to replace the connectors for the indicators and driving lamps at the front with the superseal ones as they are badly corroded.

Once the electrics are all done I can re-fit the main dashboard and front of the cage (as the legs go through the heater vents it has to be done at the same time. I also have to do something about the heater box as I have snapped one of the cable mountings off it and the control panel is shot. Will keep my eye out for a new one.

I also need a new windscreen as the inside of mine is all burnt from welding and grinding.

A few pictures so far:

P1000632.jpg

P1000631.jpg

P1000629.jpg

P1000628.jpg

P1000630.jpg

Also managed to get my aero catches fitted without too much trouble. Bonnet still needs the paintwork addressing anyway, although im not heading for a showroom finish anyway

P1000633.jpg

Hopefully More to come soon.....

Steve

jackherer

The door is flimsy because your top cut was about 10mm too high. Its intuitive to cut it at the swage line as you have done but the spot welds are just below that.

ravydavy

Hi Steve.

I had a set of those type seats and sold after not being able to see a damn thing through the rear view mirror or turning your head sideways on a trackday.

I felt so much more comfortable with normal seats.

Regards David

rallysteve
Hi Steve.

I had a set of those type seats and sold after not being able to see a damn thing through the rear view mirror or turning your head sideways on a trackday.

I felt so much more comfortable with normal seats.

Regards David

Cheers for the comment but not a problem for me, at almost 6'7" I can see over the top of them without much issue. I had to have these seats as they were the only side mount ones that my fat arse fits in and had the harness holes high enough. Seat manufacturers seem to assume you are tall and thin or short and fat B)

Steve

rallysteve

I tried to get a few more of the bits sorted out today, sadly everything seems to have gone wrong. The two base model arms I had which I thought had good arm shafts on them turns out that one of them is shot. Also thought I would have a look at changing the diff over in my VTS box to the 205 one, only to find out my VTS crown-wheel has disapeared somewhere. Also tried to sort out a bit more of the wiring which just ended up with me melting my test probe lead. So not a great day really. I had hoped to get down to the dealer today to order all of the bits for the rear beam re-build but I now need 1/2 new shafts which I just dont have the cash for at the moment.

About the only positive thing i managed to get done was the pedal box and servo painted and re-installed.

Some second hand bits I am still after in case anyone can help are:

the front most part of the heater box

the white plastic control unit for the heater

a decent windscreen

I should be picking up all the bits to start making my dashboard at the weekend, also hopefully getting hold of a set of pistons and liners from graham in hope of begninning the engine build during my easter holidays.

Steve

Tom Fenton

What are your trailing arm shafts like, if they just have roller indents and do not look like they have been buried in the garden for a few years, then I can build them back up with weld and machine back to size. At less than the cost of a new shaft. I can also press your shafts in and out of your arms if you bring them all up to me. Let me know if that helps, can do it one night in the week if you are in a rush to get your beam back together.

rallysteve
What are your trailing arm shafts like, if they just have roller indents and do not look like they have been buried in the garden for a few years, then I can build them back up with weld and machine back to size. At less than the cost of a new shaft. I can also press your shafts in and out of your arms if you bring them all up to me. Let me know if that helps, can do it one night in the week if you are in a rush to get your beam back together.

Cheers Tom that would be awesome, the trailing arm shaft is pretty good. it is marked on the outer face but feels perfectly smooth. The inner (smaller diameter) part has indentations in one side from the bearing but nothing major and not at all rusted :P

Not in a massive rush to get it back together but next week/weekend would be awesome if your available. Could you possibly PM me with how much you would like for doing the one shaft and pressing the pair in/out?

Many Thanks

Steve

rallysteve

Things are starting to look up a little again now. I have managed to salvage the 14 x 62 crownwheel from the Xsara diff and have fitted it to the 205 diff I have cleaned up and fitted some new NTN bearings to:

IMG00040-20110208-1700.jpg

I have got to get some more RTV sealant so i can fit the diff casing back onto the box then i can put the diff seals i got from the group buy on here.

I went to the local dealer today to order some parts for my beam rebuild, most of them are ordered with only a few nuts and bolts for the shocks on back order. Bill got a bit large after the minimum order values had been added up, but not too bad. I am taking my trailing arms and shafts upto Tom this thursday to get them all sorted. I have yet to decide whether to go with the good pair of base model arms i have or the 1.9 gti arms i have that one seems to have been a little abused previously.

I have also removed the rest of the interior wiring loom and stripped out all of the un-necessary wiring from it. I will have to wait to re-wrap it until i have some of the dash in place so i can get everything in the right place. I also got to make the modifications too it for all of the extra switches, gauges and things. I will install some multi-pin connectors for this so it can be kept neat and done in stages as i can afford.

All the best Steve

rallysteve

Decided I needed a change of scenery after doing coursework for the last three days so spent a few hours tonight mocking up the panel in CAD software to go into the centre section of my dashboard. It will should fit perfectly over the section that used to house all of the switches/clock and radio etc.

dashii.jpg

Looks a bit crowded, but im a big fan of lights and switches, something to do with being an electronic engineer i guess :)

Steve

rallysteve

IMG00044-20110222-1442.jpg

:)

rallysteve

Some more progress lately. Rear beam is all sorted and back on, Bilstein rear challenge dampers fitted. Im just waiting for the lower shock bolts and nuts to arrive (on back order still!). I have fixed the captive nut for the front subframe which was not so captive anymore, and refitted the front subframe.

Mocked up my dashboard, cut the holes in the corners for the cage legs and removed the coin tray and blank, which i have replaced with a base model cover. The dash was then Flocked by Rob at Constella, must say top bloke and a top job, looks amazing:

P1000670.jpg

Some other goodies also arrived today:

P1000671.jpg

Am probably going to use Benlily's design for the mounting brakets, am looking into moving up to a slightly larger rotor though so i can source them from rallydesign or compbrake, also means i can source blank bells easier as material costs are not great if i have to have them machined from scratch.

I am also almost in the position to buy one of the nice new Emerald and Jenvey kit, obviously not ideal as I dont have a complete engine currently but need the ECU so I can get all of the wiring done.

Next on the list of things to do is buy a new pair of wishbones and ARB links. I have also stripped down my coil over bodies ready to find somewhere to get them re-plated so i can assemble them with my nice new long spindle tarmac inserts. Have still got to sort out some top mounts.

Does anyone know if Skip Brown can still supply the rose jointed top mounts and how much they are. I see AB motorsport do them on ebay, but the price is ridiculous!

Steve

SurGie

Iv only just noticed your thread Steve. Some good work you've done there, the paint looks neat.

Have you tried BBM for top mounts, they have a cool looking set for about £225 i think, much cheaper then AB but they are made to order iirc.

Have you put a little bit of rubber under the wheel brace in the boot, it might end up being scratched up ?

Bad news about the engine though, i hope things go well for you from now on :)

rallysteve

Iv only just noticed your thread Steve. Some good work you've done there, the paint looks neat.

Have you tried BBM for top mounts, they have a cool looking set for about £225 i think, much cheaper then AB but they are made to order iirc.

Have you put a little bit of rubber under the wheel brace in the boot, it might end up being scratched up ?

Bad news about the engine though, i hope things go well for you from now on :)

Cheers SuGie, I will get round to putting some rubber on that wheel mount at some point, The wheel needs painting properly first though. I have looked at the BBM top mounts, but they are sadly a fair way out of my price-range really. I think I will just go for some of the compbrake ones or the PTS style rose jointed ones if you can still get them.

Engine wise I have aquired another complete engine in bits that has had a fair bit of machining done already. Have decided to try and get the shell sorted first, then i can work on the engine later.

Steve :)

rallysteve

Got my coil-over bodies back today after re-plating. Very happy with the result and £20 didnt seem too bad. I am just waiting for the new bronze bush and seal kits to arrive from Compbrake before I can re-assemble. I am also going to get my new wishbones, arb links and TREs ordered from Motaparts asap, although not sure how long stuff will take to arrive due to the bank holidays etc. I have also discovered the compbrake top mounts are much cheaper if they are bought via ebay than their online store :unsure:

P1000672.jpg

Steve

rallysteve

Have managed to get a few more bits done recently. Painted up the front valance I bought for my last 205 which doesnt look too bad. Also foiund out the front bumper I had in the garden was a phase 2 one so a bit of plasticare and thats gone on as well. Also painted up the white rear valance I had, the rear bumper I had was a bit nasty and plasticare wasnt enough so i gave it a good wipe over with thinners and a light spray of satin black spray, pretty impressed with the results! My top mounts have arrived from compbrake which were about £20 cheaper via their ebay shop than them direct. Still waiting for the bronze bushes to arrive for my coilovers which is a bit annoying as it is only them I need to get the front all built up. My new motaquip wishbones, arb links and track rod ends are waiting patiently. After a successful scrapyard trip I managed to source a new windscreen with no tint so it matches the poly windows. Also managed to pick up some nice condition gti clocks, a whole multitude of little bits and a pair of new stalks. I managed to get the wiper stalk from a CTi at the scrappy so it no longer has the rear wiper function on it, ideal as i have no rear wiper anymore.

Dash,seats and cage are all re-fitted properly although the seats might have to come in and out a few times until everything is in place. Finally my cut down wiring is all tested and wired in properly :)

P1000675.jpg

P1000674.jpg

P1000676.jpg

P1000677.jpg

rallysteve

A simple message to anyone thinking of buying anything from Compbrake.....Dont bother, my bronze bushes finally arrived after 3 weeks and some poor customer service. However, bodies are now back together and fitted. Obviously with no engine or gearbox the front is sitting way too high. Not sure weather I will be able to get it to go low enough on these springs, if not will have to get hold of some 8" ones instead. But happy to have it back on 4 wheels.

P1000679.jpg

P1000678.jpg

Everything else is now on hold whilst I try and save up ready to buy the Emerald K6 and Jenvey Kit from emerald.

Cheers Steve