• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

[trackday_prep] My 205gti Trackday Project

rallysteve

Greetings All

Now I have got some of the major bits together I thought I would start a thread about my plans and progress :unsure:

I have currently got two body shells sitting on the driveway. The first is a white Phase 2 1.6 which i bought for £50. The plans were to use this. But due to the condition of it I have had to abandon the plans.

The second shell I have is my most recent acquisition, a 1989 1.9Gti non sunroof shell. I bought this as a bodyshell so it is currently on axle stands awaiting further work.

The new shell came fitted with an FIA approved Safety Devices Cage, Tilton brake bias valve, Twin electric fans, Battery Isolator, spare wheel post, Rear braided hoses,Mocal oil cooler, Alloy footrest, Quickrack and a few other bits. Seat mounts have also been welded in ready for bucket seats.

The body is surprisingly solid compared to my phase 2. The front panel doesnt have any real rust on as far as i can tell. The floor is rust free too.

It has a few battle scars which i will address slowly, but getting it back on the road is my main priority.

Some Pictures of how it is currently, it is sitting on a scrap rear beam and some old wheels at the back. (apologies for the mobile pics)

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00190-1.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

First steps are going to be to get hold of a 1.9 rear beam and front hubs so i can get it back on its wheels. I have got some 1.6 front suspension which it can sit on for now just to keep it mobile.

There is a lot of wiring work to be done as lots of modifications were made by the previous owner. I am going to repaint the engine bay and interior.

When I have saved up enough, plans are to put an mi16 engine in, but this will be one of the last things I will tackle.

I already have some 206 GTI 180 front brakes. Some Bilstein Suspension and some front arms. I have got a set of speedlines in the garden awaiting re-furbishment (in white probably).

Will keep everyone updated as I go :ph34r:

Cheers Steve

EdCherry

Alot of people (myself included) try and do everything at once, and you say your going to have money problems trying to put a mi16 in, why not stick a cheap 1.9 or 1.6 in for now so you can have some fun while you save up for an mi16?

Looks like a good project mate, keep it coming!

rallysteve

Cheers, im not really in a rush to get it done so will just wait until i can afford the right engine. (Just need someone to by my Land Rover :unsure: )

I really need to get hold of a 1.9 beam and front hubs fairly soon so I can get all four wheels on it properly.

I have stripped more out of the white scrap car, now taken all of the wiring and electrics out of it along with the steering column.

I need to swap the locks over to the red car as it has one key for all the locks rather than 4 seperate keys!

Tested the electrics on the red car last night and everything seems to work well which is promising. I have got the subframe all painted up waiting for hubs.

I have started to clean up the metal in the boot ready for a fresh coat of paint where the carpet used to be stuck.

Steve

djinuk

glad you have joined mate :rolleyes:, keep up the project

Baz

Hi Steve, nice to see you over here!

Looks a good project with a good base to start from, decent cage too! :blink: Let me know if you still want that engine & when! :rolleyes:

tezza

looks like a brilliant project matey. will be keeping an eye on this.

backroadpug

Hi dude looks a sweet project.

Im in the middle of turning my 205 mi16 into a track car does any one know where i can get that roll cage from

have looked for what seems hours and cant find that roll cage and i want :) lol

Does it have any safety device part numbers on it rallysteve

Ill be keeping an eye on this project keep up the work.

rallysteve
Hi dude looks a sweet project.

Im in the middle of turning my 205 mi16 into a track car does any one know where i can get that roll cage from

have looked for what seems hours and cant find that roll cage and i want :unsure: lol

Does it have any safety device part numbers on it rallysteve

Ill be keeping an eye on this project keep up the work.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

As promised below is the certificate on the cage for reference

Picture1.png

Things are taking a while to get going due to a lack of funds at the minutes :blush:

Steve

backroadpug

Tell me about it need to win the lottery :(

cheers for that roll on pay day.

rallysteve

No problems, i will get some pictures of the cage fitment tomorrow as I see someone was asking about it in one of the other boards :wacko:

Steve

Baz

It's a SD C44 Challenge spec cage. Available from SD dealers like AB Motorsport etc.

rallysteve

Finally after what seems like forever I have sold my Land Rover giving me the time and money to start working on my 205 :)

Decided to go out and beat the VAT on some nice buckets and harnesses from Demon Tweeks, a pair OMP HTC fibreglass seats and Sabelt Lighweight 4points!

DSC00246.jpg

Im now starting to get together all of the bits I have already bought and working out what else I need to get it together.

Steve

Smudgey1985

Liking the seats!!

rallysteve

After getting myself an mi16 from Baz I have now begun taking it apart to find the cause of the knock. This was suspected as a spun big end bearing dispite being re-build less than 1000miles previously.

The engine mounted on the stand:

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

Sump Removed:

DSC00284.jpg

After getting the oil pump and block brace plate thing off the bottom it is clear to see that the number 3 big end cap has been very hot and is discoloured:

DSC00294.jpg

With the cap off, the bearing looks very scored considering the low milage of the engine:

DSC00286.jpg

The number 2 cap was taken off to check the bearing in that one:

DSC00293.jpg

The wear on this cap looks very un-even/patchy, is this normal?

The crank doesn't seem to be damaged too much visually, although there are a couple of marks on it. Sadly it has already been ground. Will have to take it out and get it to an engine builders to get it checked properly.

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

The con-rod on number 3 cylinder is very discolored from excess heat. one thing i did notice is the bearing cap on that big end seems to have been put on the wrong way round.

I guess the next step is to get the head off and remove the conrods so i can get them all checked and take the crank out to be checked.

Any comments welcome

Cheers Steve

Baz

Not such good news Steve but i guess nothing we didn't expect really. :lol:

Tbh judging by the rest opf the car i'm afraid to say the bearing cap being on the wrong way round is unsurprising! Also worth noting that someone's marked up the cam pulleys with 'I' and 'E' and then changed their minds! I presume one is a #2 and the other #4?

rallysteve
Not such good news Steve but i guess nothing we didn't expect really. :lol:

Tbh judging by the rest opf the car i'm afraid to say the bearing cap being on the wrong way round is unsurprising! Also worth noting that someone's marked up the cam pulleys with 'I' and 'E' and then changed their minds! I presume one is a #2 and the other #4?

Yeah pretty much as i was expecting really. I am toying with the idea of searching out a second hand cam and rods to put in and changing all of the bottom end bearings. The oil pump drive is one of the friciton ones not the keyed one, so would ideally like to swap that at the same time.

Want to make sure it gets done properly so i dont have to pull it all apart again. I will make sure I measure everything properly as it goes back in to stop the same thing happening again.

Is there anything wrong with running a ground crank?

Steve

rallysteve

Got the cylinder head off this morning. Everything inside seems okay at the topend.

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

The liners all look in good order which im quite happy about:

DSC00299.jpg

There is only a small lip at the top which seems to be just carbon deposit. Piston tops were a bit oily but wipe off okay.

The two pistons nearest the gearbox end seem to have a few marks in the top of them. Are these anything to worry about? Thought it might have been due to a broken cambelt or something at some point. Valves all look okay.

DSC00298.jpg

Just one note, the arrows on top of the pistons are meant to point towards the timing belt end dont they, dispite saying DIST on top?

Cheers Steve

rallysteve

Whilst I have got the engine in bits and sourcing bits for it I thought I would have a sort out and see what I have got and still need to get:

So far I have got a 1.9 beam to clean up and fit brakes to.

A set of 1.9 hubs which need a clean and paint

A set of Bilstein inserts that still need one strut body painting up and need to find a set of springs

A set of group N rear Bilsteins that need checking over

A set of GTI180 brakes to go on.

A polybushed pair of wishbones to go on along with a painted subframe.

A quickrack of some variety

A set of 1.9 speedlines to refurb

An mi16 loom and management

A xsara vts gearbox

set of BBM hoses

My seats and harnesses

A complete un-molestered car wiring loom

Still to get:

some front springs

a pair of driveshafts

gear linkages

exhaust and manifold

oil breathers

radiator

top mounts

some tyres

So still a fair few bits to buy, no doubt i have forgotten many more too.

As soon as i manage to sort out the driveway and get the shell back on hard-standing i will begin putting it all together :lol:

Steve

rallysteve

Right then, finally found some time during decent weather to make a start on the shell.

Have removed all the surface rust from the front panel, given rust treatment where needed, zinc primed, primed and painted. Its now nice and solid although paint finish isnt exactly concourse :)

DSC00356.jpg

Have treated the inner wings to the same treatment, and welded up the small hole (approx 10p sized) under the washer tank position. Waiting for me to finish the rest of the engine bay tidying before receiving a fresh lick of paint.

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

Have also made a start removing the original seat mounts (drilling many spot welds) and the beefed up ones the previous owner fitted for his bucket seats. Will soon be able to think about welding in some proper bars for my nice new seats. I am seriously thinking about getting someone else in to help me with the welding on this after finding how thin the metal around the floorpan is! ( I am used to welding up Land Rovers and Tractors :P ).

DSC00353.jpg

I have also stripped out the rest of the dash and wiring I can get out without removing the cage just yet.

DSC00360.jpg

Next jobs are:

-Finish removing the seat mountings.

-Fit seat bars.

-Tidy up the floor. and welds

-Remove the cage and dash.

-Have a quick paint around and remove the rest of the sound deadening from behind the dash.

-Refit the dash and cage and then begin the job of wiring and piping.

Have already modified the gear quadrant, fitted compbrake shifter to the linkage. Fitted my group N engine mount into the casting. Along with the group A lower fork bush. My front subframe is all painted and wishbones fitted.

Hopefully more progress soon :P

Steve

rallysteve

Bit more progress during the dry hours :o Got the engine bay painted. Not really a great job but looks much better than it did to start with. Besides not much of it is visible when the 16v is in.

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

Trial fitted my seat as well and can describe it as a 'tight' fit. Think I have chickened out of fitting the seat rails myself so am looking around for anyone who can do the cutting/welding for me without it costing me an absolute fortune.

Steve

jackherer
Just one note, the arrows on top of the pistons are meant to point towards the timing belt end dont they, dispite saying DIST on top?

Yes thats correct, timing belt in French is courroie de distribution or something.

rallysteve
Yes thats correct, timing belt in French is courroie de distribution or something.

Thanks, that explains it then :o

rallysteve

DSC00381.jpg

My nice gti180 brake calipers after a quick lick of paint :D

Steve

rallysteve

205 is ready for its holiday. Off to Carls to have seat rails welded in :(

DSC00383.jpg

Steve

Hi Steve been reading your progress!

I have a couple of good radiators and a couple of sets of springs if you need them give me a shout as only round the corner

adam