• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Quaife Or Tran-x Lsd?

swordfish210

I'm loving my plate diff now. Miles convinced me to go for it over an ATB and i don't regret the decision now. I've only used it on the road so far but the improvment in grip is very noticable, even with low tread A048's in the wet i was still cornering faster than i have done with the standard open diff and good tyres.

I can't wait to see what it is like on track now, i went to a roundabout last night and i turned in quite quicly and it began to understeer, so i gave it a bootfull of throttle and it just gripped up and went :ph34r:

Miles

Thats the sprit, :ph34r: , Good to see my experance has worked a few times at least!!

Galifrey
Thats the sprit, :( , Good to see my experance has worked a few times at least!!

Was that ever in doubt?

:ph34r:

andyjstone
Thats the sprit, :ph34r: , Good to see my experance has worked a few times at least!!

Are you still planning a Tran-X group buy?

Miles

Yes I will post details this week, It will only be a short run this year as I would like the Diff's delivered by the end of Jan 2010

matt.f

Any idea roughly on a price for the group buy?

matt.f

Also,is it true the steering gets heavier with a Tran-x diff?sorry for all the questions or hijacking someone elses thread i just want to make the right decision.

DrSarty
Also,is it true the steering gets heavier with a Tran-x diff?sorry for all the questions or hijacking someone elses thread i just want to make the right decision.

Yes; but it gets heavier with any diff as you have a component which at times is not allowing one wheel to turn slower than the other.

As stated in here though, an ATB (Quaife) can be a lot more forgiving and perhaps unnoticable in certain circumstances, and at the opposite scale a plate diff (Tran-X) can be fairly brutal.

Perhaps this is why the Tran-X appears to be the diff of choice because when it rewards it pays you back in spades.

Vili
Yes; but it gets heavier with any diff as you have a component which at times is not allowing one wheel to turn slower than the other.

As stated in here though, an ATB (Quaife) can be a lot more forgiving and perhaps unnoticable in certain circumstances, and at the opposite scale a plate diff (Tran-X) can be fairly brutal.

Perhaps this is why the Tran-X appears to be the diff of choice because when it rewards it pays you back in spades.

How heavy does it get with Tran-X? Can the car be driven normally without power steering? Could your wife, girlfriend etc.. drive it? I've wanting to install ATB but plate diff seems to be lot more for the money.

philfingers

I had one in my 309 with std PAS and it was great. My new 205 (tarmac rally car) had one in with NON PAS and for road rallies I found it too heavy. pull away from a control and if you don't have two hands on the wheel (changing gear for instance) and one wheel tryies to spin on the mud it could rip the wheel out of your hand. I have electric PAS now and it's fine.

you'll drive it ok with out PAS, it's just when you're pressing on, it starts tugging at the wheels!

Your GF will drive it at shopping speeds ok (so long as she doesn't drive like a loon i suppose!)

Phil

swordfish210

My steering is quite heavy because i have a quickrack as well but it's manageable. Just get down the gym and bulk up a bit :(

matt.f
I had one in my 309 with std PAS and it was great. My new 205 (tarmac rally car) had one in with NON PAS and for road rallies I found it too heavy. pull away from a control and if you don't have two hands on the wheel (changing gear for instance) and one wheel tryies to spin on the mud it could rip the wheel out of your hand. I have electric PAS now and it's fine.

you'll drive it ok with out PAS, it's just when you're pressing on, it starts tugging at the wheels!

Your GF will drive it at shopping speeds ok (so long as she doesn't drive like a loon i suppose!)

Phil

Were you running 15" wheels?I noticed a difference when i put my 14" gtx wheels on and the steering got lighter.

Miles

I must say when I wasn;t using P/S on my old Race Car the steering was fine, Getting older now and have P/S fitted

harryskid

I have a trans x plated diff on my rally car and i think they are best.Once you get use to hanging on to the steering on a fast pull away. Also it gets rid of understeer. A recon unit can usually be found for about 400 or so but you have to look around a bit.

Harryskid :blush:

Tom Fenton

If you are careful they can be had considerably cheaper than that, I managed to bag one with brand new plates in it for £275.

philfingers
Were you running 15" wheels?I noticed a difference when i put my 14" gtx wheels on and the steering got lighter.

Yes 15's.

The difference with rallying is the corners are a lot tighter and also on muddy lanes they snatch more.

Mine was £410 new in 2002

Matt Holley

I pulled my shoulder backing into my driveway with a Quaife diff, quickrack and 15in wheels with 888s, I think I would need Pas with a plate diff.

Ive yet to try a plate diff but the Quaife was a massive improvement and don't regret fitting it.

matt.f

Any news on the group buy Miles?

Raunchz

Just read through this and have to say it's a cracking thread for hearing about how people have got on fitting either the quaife of a plated diff.

I was originaly planning on going for a quaife unit, but this thread has thrown a spanner in the works and I'm tempted to give a platted dif a try with an un-aggressive spec.

I presume the plates on the diffs will wear out quicker with higher power cars than lower power cars (with everything else remaining equal, like driving style)?

matt.f

Just had my Tran-x fitted and there is a massive improvement,its like a different car!Pulls so much better out of bends(as you would expect) and like someone else said eliminates understeer a lot more.You do have to keep hold of the steering wheel though,especially when coming from full lock to straight and the steering has gone a bit heavier even when the diff is set on lightweight but all in all im impressed.Not tried it on the loose yet

Edited by matt.f

Cameron

I want my Tran-X. :)

andyjstone

Had my TranX fitted recently too and took it out for the first time at Cadwell - massive improvement on the corners, you can just keep the power on all the way round and I didn't really feel much difference in the weight of the steering - I've got no PAS so it's always been a bit heavy, but the diff doesn't seem to have made it any worse.

matt.f

Mines normal when driving quickly,just a bit heavier when manouvering slowly

harryskid

When my gti6 goes in my Trans x will follow!

:o

Sign in to follow this