• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Quaife Or Tran-x Lsd?

kyepan
A Quaife is a good addition compared to the open diff, but then there's almost the same leap again going with a plate. Everyone gets very hung up on maintaince, but I've had mine in coming on 3 years and lots of trackmiles and still like new, The down side to quaifes is they pull you around, and when you're powering out a corner they give up the grip much more early than a plate diff. Regardless of driving style the plate set will work for you.

Having abused an ATB on a 200BHP 205 I came away unimpressed, it does aid in direction, but a plate as said just locks out the nose and drags the tail where the front wheels point, you have the option of turning in on the power and nosing the car round, or sliding through the apex sideways and rallying corssing the exit, which is a handy option if you over cook it pushing hard, something I felt the quaife couldn't muster.

I'd at least try out one of each before commiting to the money, you'll know you're made the right decision then, rather than listening to a load of people in the internet (myself included) spout about what they think.

i think that's fair comment, dad always used to tell me stories about the mini he drove with a plate diff that you could lob in sideways and balance on the throttle.. sideways. The Quaife is purposeful and direct but not in any way fun or grin inducing, except if you find oodles of grip fun or grin inducing.

If you can find someone to let you drive, or show you how they drive with a plate diff that would be a good idea.

paulsupervts84
i think that's fair comment, dad always used to tell me stories about the mini he drove with a plate diff that you could lob in sideways and balance on the throttle.. sideways. The Quaife is purposeful and direct but not in any way fun or grin inducing, except if you find oodles of grip fun or grin inducing.

If you can find someone to let you drive, or show you how they drive with a plate diff that would be a good idea.

I'm sure someone on hear would let you drive there car with different diffs fitted

philfingers

TranX in mine, I stripped it after 10k miles and no neglidgable wear, done another 10k this year in it, wouldn't be surprised if there's still no wear.

For road rallying it makes such a difference under braking, preventing locking up one wheel on the loose, mud etc

Baz

I think i'm in love with my Kaaz at the moment. :wub:

I will say you have to be a little wary of it and it could catch you out, i guess this is why some are a little scared of them although to me it's mainly internet hype, but you're driving style may need to change a little too, throttle usage becomes very modulated around corners!

It's almost like you wind enough lock on at the start of the corner, can then just hold on and use the throttle to take you round the corner. One thing's for sure, it sticks like feck!!! :D

Nrj

about a 50/50 view on here then,

what the price differences between the 2 on a 205

Galifrey
about a 50/50 view on here then,

what the price differences between the 2 on a 205

Pretty much same price I think..

Loving the TranX tho, seamless and effective, all I need.

EdCherry

Tran X is barely more expensive than a Quaife about £90 in it.

philfingers

don't worry about the price, just get what's right for you.

Yes the Quaiffe is fit and forget but in that lies the problem, ifyou don't like you're only option is to sell it and buy a TranX.

However trying to get a drive in a car when you can sling it sideways and rallycross slide over the exit may prove tricky!!!

davidc
However trying to get a drive in a car when you can sling it sideways and rallycross slide over the exit may prove tricky!!!

Are you volunteering your car ???

What diff have you got ?

Cheers,

David

philfingers

you're welcome if you ever down my way.

TranX, never driven with anything else but it's good

davidc
you're welcome if you ever down my way.

TranX, never driven with anything else but it's good

Cheers Phil...doubful I'll be down your way but you never know !!

Saw a Sperry Drilling Systems (at least I think thats what it said...) truck/container in Hassi Messaoud yesterday, is that your lot ?

Dazza

Ive a rather noughty 220 horse 205GT16 trackcar and did think and do what your doing .....tran x -Gripper-Quaife .....

I got the Quaife and found it made a lot of difference to my car on track and ive driven others with the quaife and found it the same .

You can really feel it when it kicks in and the final decision for me was its a 1 stop fit and forget jobbie ...leaves plenty time for nailing the rest of these french frenzied hot hatches together around the engine and box .....

We have run many gravel rally cars over the years and my mate loves very agressive diff's and if he snaps the a drive shaft these other diffs will get him out of the stage ....he tells me ...

You will always get the money back for it on the bay albeit you'll not take it out i guarantee ...

pug_ham
Yes the Quaiffe is fit and forget but in that lies the problem, ifyou don't like you're only option is to sell it and buy a TranX.

Not always are Quaife a fit & forget, just ask Dave Sykes (TT205) iirc he'shad to send his back for a rebuild twice now & his car is only used for hillclimbs most of the time.

I think he said he'd like to give a plate a try just to see the difference but if the Quaife needs repairing again he'd get a plate instead, swayed by whats been said on here by people in other topics discussing the pro's & cons between plate & ATB.

I've got a Quaife in my car now but next car / rebuild its getting a plate diff.

Graham.

Rippthrough
We have run many gravel rally cars over the years and my mate loves very agressive diff's and if he snaps the a drive shaft these other diffs will get him out of the stage ....he tells me ...

The problem there is that very aggressive diffs contribute to the shock loads that can snap the drive shafts in the first place, especially with full on lockers...

If the plate is setup properly, it can be just as smooth as the quaiffe, without the drawbacks, I'd be going with the Trans-X everytime.

matt.f

Interesting thread,i too am looking for a LSD for my road rallycar and dont know which to get :lol:

Baz

Justin (Kyepan) and i were chatting about this the other day, we're going to swap cars to see the differences as we both have similar cars but different diffs.

His an Mi16 powered 205 with a few mods, inc. a Quaife ATB, and mine a 'lightly' fettled Mi16 powered 205 with a Kaaz plate diff, and we're both interested to see what the other's is like, and of course could directly compare the 2, which is nice!

Should be interesting, and i certainly shall be reporting back! :)

Tom Fenton

I own cars with both types.

The plate diff pulls the car about a bit more. Ultimate drive out of corners. Clanks and clunks a bit from time to time.

The Quaife is a big improvement over an open diff. But a compromise on circuit as you can still light up an inside wheel accelerating out of a corner. Silent and smooth in operation.

If building a car with open options-

For a circuit car it has to be a plate diff for me. No contest.

For a road car that gets used quite a lot, Quaife diff.

For a occasional use road car/toy, I'd probably lean towards the plate diff. But the Quaife will be OK.

matt.f

How much does it cost to rebuild a Tran-x diff?Also,does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to have one fit and set up?cheers

philfingers

they're quite straightforward to fit, you usually need to grind a little bit out the box for clearance, it's easy enough to fit.

Easy enough to set up also, they would generally come setup the way you want them.

You unbolt the end cap with it in the vice and it all comes out bit by bit. Straight forward, it's not like you undo the bolts and then all the bits spring out!

Have a look here http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oi...20Strip%20Down/

Galifrey
Clanks and clunks a bit from time to time.

Mine does this at very low speed with steering lock, was a bit disturbing at first, but now I know what it is, I just drive it more aggresively.

:lol:

philfingers
Mine does this at very low speed with steering lock, was a bit disturbing at first, but now I know what it is, I just drive it more aggresively.

mine was terrible when new, really clunky. So many times i got told, you're CVs knackered mate etc. Folk in the street would trun around to see what the racket was. .. . . . . Now it's run in (20k miles) it's fine. I stripped it at 10k (prior to fitting in the 205 I now have) and there was no noticeable wear in the plates (using the digi mic in the pics)

I think you're looking at around £50 for new plates if they ever need changing

Edited by philfingers

Galifrey
mine was terrible when new, really clunky. So many times i got told, you're CVs knackered mate etc. Folk in the street would trun around to see what the racket was. .. . . . . Now it's run in (20k miles) it's fine. I stripped it at 10k (prior to fitting in the 205 I now have) and there was no noticeable wear in the plates (using the digi mic in the pics)

I think you're looking at around £50 for new plates if they ever need changing

Mine is very new, 600 odd miles, so I guess its normal, we replaced the driveshafts which has improved it a lot, but I am just gonna drive it and see how it improves. It is epic on corner exits tho, quite amazing how it just twitches as a tyre lets go then wham, total drive out of the corner.

Takes your breath away how good it is!

Sign in to follow this