• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ceebdub

1.6 Gti Dying Issue

Guest ceebdub

I have a 92 1.6. Recently after a good thrashing it has just died. Let it cool a bit and it was fine. This has become more frequent to the stage

that it died after a couple of miles. I now have managed to 'kill' it at home so I can go through some stuff.

I changed the coil, the ignition amp and the main ht lead. When trying to start the car it sparks at thebeginning of the wind over and when you let go of the key. I tried the HT lead to the rocker cover and it does the same with the sparks (so it isnt the distributor) . I tried using a jump battery to makes sure we were shot of electricity power. So now I am scratching my head. When it dies the rev counter just drops like a stone like the car has ben switched off.

I am proud to get through the ordeal of joining this forum, vand will enjoy contributing with some of the things I can fix.

thanks for your brains in advance..

First post done!

Galifrey
I have a 92 1.6. Recently after a good thrashing it has just died. Let it cool a bit and it was fine. This has become more frequent to the stage

that it died after a couple of miles. I now have managed to 'kill' it at home so I can go through some stuff.

I changed the coil, the ignition amp and the main ht lead. When trying to start the car it sparks at thebeginning of the wind over and when you let go of the key. I tried the HT lead to the rocker cover and it does the same with the sparks (so it isnt the distributor) . I tried using a jump battery to makes sure we were shot of electricity power. So now I am scratching my head. When it dies the rev counter just drops like a stone like the car has ben switched off.

I am proud to get through the ordeal of joining this forum, vand will enjoy contributing with some of the things I can fix.

First post done!

Well it must be ignition :rolleyes: so my guess would be the ECU overheating try and swap in a known working one maybe?

Edited by Porsche911r101

dk73

First post done!

Lol sorry,

Ive had all this and it turned out to be the airflow meter,

Had replaced all what you said to no joy,

Every time she was hot cut out and i had to wait about an hour to restart.

In the end the airflow mixture was to weak and wouldnt adjust at all.

My guess its the airflow pally.

u47sb2

Fuel pump/tachymetric relay? Can be found next to the ECU in most cars but hidden away under the battery tray in earlier (?phase 1) cars

Guest ceebdub

Thanks guys I will have a look and report back. At least I have managed to get it to do it at home, its hard on the side of the dual carraigeway!

Guest ceebdub

Right, in the cold of this morning, it has started fine, but if you rev it to 5k the needle drops like a stone and the car dies.

I have changed the Tacynetric relay and this makes no difference.

In reply to the airflow meter , I tried unplugging it and it still does the die thing at 5k revs.

What next?

Tom Fenton

Air flow meter would be my next port of call TBH.

Guest ceebdub
Air flow meter would be my next port of call TBH.

I tried another AFM, no difference.....

GLPoomobile
but if you rev it to 5k the needle drops like a stone and the car dies.

I think I'm correct in saying that for the needle to drop like a stone, you'd have to lose the signal from the coil. So I'd be looking at the coil failing, or the coil not receiving voltage.

If it was something else causing the engine to die, I'd expect the revs to drop at a slower rate, because the tacho should still be seeing a signal as the engine slows down from 5000 rpm naturally.

Tom Fenton

I've read through again. It could well be the distributor, remember this is where all the cranking signal etc comes from going to the ECU.

jackherer

There is a small wire with a plug on it coming off the distributor, when this connection goes bad it can cause these symptoms.

Guest ceebdub
There is a small wire with a plug on it coming off the distributor, when this connection goes bad it can cause these symptoms.

Thanks, I did suspect that a

The wire looks a bit iffy, but I checked it and there were no shorts of anything. But I will change it (if I can get one)

Its just about all that is left really.I will let you know when I get one. Thanks all.

Just to recap,

Changed:

coil

ign amp

tachymetric relay

leads

ecu

Guest ceebdub

We seem to have maybe got to the bottom of it. The wire going to the distributor was a bit frayed so I cut the plug off (dis. end) and put two tiny female spade connectors wrapped in self-amalgamating tape.Immediately you could blip it to the red line without the dying , as it did moments before. My boy did say it did die once when he went out tonight, but he thrashes the life out of it and I expect it may arc or vibrate?

The ideal would to be get a new wire (my local Peugeot garage are useless) anyone got any ideas where I can get this from?and or its part number?

I am not allowed to put a 'want' on as I am below 30 posts.

Thanks again all. I hope this thread helps others to short cut some of the issues !

DamirGTI
The ideal would to be get a new wire (my local Peugeot garage are useless) anyone got any ideas where I can get this from?and or its part number?

Just repair it .. it's dead easy :lol: cut the worn part of the wiring off and add (solder) an fresh piece of wire , add connector on the end , seal up the wiring with some heat shrink tubing or insulation tape and that's it ..

Damir B)

Guest ceebdub
Just repair it .. it's dead easy ;) cut the worn part of the wiring off and add (solder) an fresh piece of wire , add connector on the end , seal up the wiring with some heat shrink tubing or insulation tape and that's it ..

Damir :lol:

Thats sort of what I have done.

Weser

Glad you found the problem as I am having a similar one on my 1.9.

Will try the wire when I get a minute. Hopefully it will sort me out.

Cheers

Guest ceebdub

Cheers

Wouldn't that be nice. Save a week or two if it is.

jackherer

Cheers

Keep us posted. This is a very common fault and as we have a lot of new members currently it would be good to keep this thread near the top for a while.

Galifrey
Keep us posted. This is a very common fault and as we have a lot of new members currently it would be good to keep this thread near the top for a while.

In a shameless bump to the top, is that wire part of the LT ignition pickup Jack?

DamirGTI

Yes it's a dizzy pick up signal cable :) (with the yellow 3pin plug on the end)

Damir :D

willmounsey
Just repair it .. it's dead easy :D cut the worn part of the wiring off and add (solder) an fresh piece of wire , add connector on the end , seal up the wiring with some heat shrink tubing or insulation tape and that's it ..

Damir B)

Sorry to hijack this a little but is this the cable being mentioned?

IMG_0143.jpg

mine has split at the yellow connector end and the other, bare wire can be seen!

Can these be bought new still? or is it a case of doing as quoted above?

Cheers

Will

lagonda

Yes, that's the one. I bought a new one from a Peugeot stealer in France....still cost nearly £43.80 (€50.66)....and I had to cut the black plug to make it fit! They said that was all that was available now. It works fine....and as with every other fix, the car ran fine for 2 weeks before starting cutting out again.

lagonda

Yes, that's the one. I bought a new one from a Peugeot stealer in France....still cost nearly £43.80 (€50.66)....and I had to cut the black plug to make it fit! They said that was all that was available now. It works fine....and as with every other fix, the car ran fine for 2 weeks before starting cutting out again.

willmounsey

Superb, i'll get onto my pug dealer tomorow and see what they say

Cheers

Will

Sign in to follow this