• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Random Mechanical Failure Of The Day

kyepan

just as i went over a small steep speed bump at slightly over crawling pace, i heard a loud bang and the sound of metal dragging along the floor.

stopped got out, and expected to see the maniblow exhaust unhooked from it's mounts as usual. but no the exhaust was snug up against the rear valance.

today the spare wheel cage decided to unhook itself from the hook that dangles from the boot..

what a hoot this old 205 is..

24seven

spare wheel cage? what spare wheel cage! :D

Batfink

if theres no wheel in there i'm amazed this has not happened earlier!

I've seen the sparks you get the way you drive over speedhumps lol

Easy to remove though so bin it in the name of weight saving...

Cameron

Hah! Yeah I used to get this all the time, no matter how tightly I did up the retainer. Just ditch the thing.

Tom Fenton

If you wind the bolt right the way through, it clamps onto the cage meaning it can't get free.

Veero

My thread on the cage hangar bolt is siezed solid. I have to jack the cage up slightly and squish the tyre, unhook the hook and then let the jack down. Never gonna lose my spare :D

jeremy

I had exactly this on my 106, however the spare wheel dropped out followed by the Mercedes behind me driving over at it at 60mp heading into London on the A3. Thankfully I managed to get the wheel off the dual carriage way before a serious accident occured. The Mecereds person took my details, however I never heard anything afterwards I can only put it down to both being insured with the same company and my insurances was free for a year with the car.

Paul_13

Cable ties and duct tape the only way....

Jrod
If you wind the bolt right the way through, it clamps onto the cage meaning it can't get free.

And after a few years it won't come off even if you want it to! :lol:

Baz

That's why it's a maintenance item, on my list anyway!

James_R

it's a removal item!!

kyepan

today.... and the past couple it's the drivers side electric window becoming more and more reluctant to go back up...

GLPoomobile

My passenger side window is getting slooooooooooow. As I mentioned in my topic about parts, I was going to put a wanted advert on here for a motor, but then I found a spare one in my stock last night! So many bloody parts I don;t even know what I've got most of the time!

My passenger side CL motor is noisey as hell and slow too, so at least I can do both in a oner.

kyepan
My passenger side window is getting slooooooooooow. As I mentioned in my topic about parts, I was going to put a wanted advert on here for a motor, but then I found a spare one in my stock last night! So many bloody parts I don;t even know what I've got most of the time!

My passenger side CL motor is noisey as hell and slow too, so at least I can do both in a oner.

my bet is it's not the motor but some kind of wiring / connection corrosion issue, coupled with not well lubricated and slightly less than perfect condition runners...

GLPoomobile

Yes, the electrical side of things crossed my mind just after posting that. I will of course have a sniff about with the old multimeter before I go removing the motor. And I'll lube it up with plenty of KY jelly ;)

EdCherry

3 Weeks i've been living with this amazing squeak coming from fudge now, cant find it for love nor money...

EdCherry

Oh mechanical failure today, starter motor wooo hooo!

Rippthrough
3 Weeks i've been living with this amazing squeak coming from fudge now, cant find it for love nor money...

Lay off the beans Ed!

kyepan

Today (well sunday) ..

noticed the engine was a bit hoarse... a sure sign it was low on oil... but i have fixed the leaking sump..

Or so i thought.

Took it to the jet wash and there was a massive oil leak covering the whole underside of the sump, some of the fan loom, all the subframe and wishbones.... cleaned off for inspection.

three bolts missing. I did hear two drop out a few weeks ago, but when i checked the exhaust and gearbox bolts.. they were all tight.. little did i know it was the sump.

Quickly replaced with cut down gti-6 bolts and threadlocked in place this time.. many others were loose and there was virtually no seal on the sump... so tightened them up too.

topped up with oil.. as it was not that low and away we went.

J

Edited by kyepan

DrSarty

Your dedication to something which is quite clearly conspiring against you, shows that you have what it takes to be a Pugger.

You have as they say, the 205GTIDrivers forum 'minerals'.

:)

24seven
it's a removal item!!

Whoever rallied my 205 before the guy I bought it off had bolted a bracket into the boot for the spare wheel. 1 single bolt with the weight of the bracket and wheel levering it around corners, quickly left small hole in the boot floor :lol:. It's been welded properly now, and the jack lives there with it. MUCH easier than having the cage underneath!

dandelph

Saturday on way down to Malvern blew the head gasket :blush: tho has meant on sunday I did put the larger valved head on that I've been meaning to do lol

GLPoomobile
many others were loose and there was virtually no seal on the sump... so tightened them up too.

topped up with oil.. as it was not that low and away we went.

You had a lucky escape! :blush:

I wonder how many other people would have given up by now and got another car? It quite clearly hates you :)

kyepan
You had a lucky escape! :blush:

I wonder how many other people would have given up by now and got another car? It quite clearly hates you :)

i think hates, needs and deserves... all in equal measure is more accurate.

today... the interior fan blower started making the squeaking death rattle.. something like a kitten caught in a blender.

I have changed this twice all ready.. perhaps it just needs grease.

although there is an outside chance i'm missing something and the fan is actually a medium sized hamster wheel, it's poor inhabitant could be electrically stimulated to run, It being colder now, he may be squeaking in protest, until the car is warm.. and he is comfortable.

then again perhaps it's just French... still better than Italian.

Saturday, the rear view mirror was moved by my girlfriend.. well it was not moved as she could not, as it was ceased.. and came off in her hand.

yesterday.. seeing as it was holding oil.. i took it for a thorough thrashing up to beaconsfield and back, with a neighbour who has been asking to see what it's like for ages.. the lead i use as ballast for kart racing was knocking about in the boot making alarming noises. Still he stopped talking for a period whilst we navigated the night roads apace, generally a sign the pug was not what they were expecting. He works on evo's at the dealership, has a clio 16v and an s14 with 350bhp... i doubt i'll be able to convert him, as i am the neighbour who is "always working on his car"... but still he said he was fairly impressed, i apologised for my clumsy driving.

with the slow rack and neutral toe it's hard to keep it smooth down those lanes.

it will probably disintegrate later today, will keep you all posted.

Edited by kyepan

kyepan

all has been quiet this week, as it's been storing several problems up for me

this morning it ran like spanners being jangled in a bag.. a nice misfire.

pop bonnet grab plug leads in turn.. nothing

grab king lead from coil... do funny dance and jump as 20kv passes through hand.

stop car

coil mounts are loose... one bolt missing.

injector rail has undone all it;s bolts and is only held in by the friction of the newly replaced seals.

also on tighting the coil and restarting i noticed a spark from the battery neg..

the terminall connecto is not making good contact, as it's screw on bit is threaded.

sooooo, need to find some new bolts, and replace the battery negative.

thank you peugeot for making me appreciate my mazda.