• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Ignition Amp/module. How Many Pins?

changingman

Are you running on carbs or standard Mi16 injection?

You can't "chip" the AFM.

If its only running on two cylinders, have you pushed a pin back in the ignition amp plug which excites & jumps the gap when the revs build up?

The standard Bosch amp mentioned earlier in this topic has six pins, later Pugs need the seven pin amp to work. (MP3.1, 3.2 etc).

Looking at an old jetronic loom I have here, the ignition module plug should have seven spaces but only six pins in the plug.

Have you tried another coil since this issue developed?

g

Right,that seems to make sense of it now,i willl have to go out and see if ive pushed a pin back,but its not the amp that has 5 pins i have a 7 pin gim5001 but the plug that goes into the loom has only got 5 spaces for pins to go in and 2 presumably redundant ones.

My bosch amp had 6 pins and when i froze it with pipe spray it worked like a dream till it thawed out.

Ive got another bosch one and a ducellier one on their way to me which i bought today.

I have seen a resistor on ebay which supposedly fools the afm,are these no good??

The coil is brand new,but i will put the old one back on when the amps get here and see if it makes any difference at all.

Ill let you know if i have pushed a pin in the plug,but i fear you are right,cos there are only 5 ,ive looked !

Cheers,you may have saved my nurburgring trip!!!!!!

changingman

Right,just pulled the plug up,peeled back the rubber and there are definately only 5 slots for the amp pins to go into.

The car ran perfect for 20 miles,wouldnt start at my sisters so i left it there but it fired first thing in the morning and just stopped 4 miles down the road.

A frozen bosch amp got it running fine yesterday until it thawed out.

I hear that certain 205s dont like different amps so ill see if thats right when the bosch one i just bought gets here!!

I put on a brand new coil,checked the crank sensor,leads,plugs,onto the amp as last resort!!!!

cheers.

liam

Edited by changingman

pug_ham

Ok, after looking at the 405 haynes wiring diagrams for the ML1.3 & 4.1 ecu's, it does only show five wires to the igntion amp unlike the 205 jetronic ecu which has six to it & just the one spare / unused pin on the plug.

Have you used any heat sink paste on the ignition amp after swapping it?

I have seen a resistor on ebay which supposedly fools the afm,are these no good??

How does it "fool the AFM"? If its anything like the 205 GTI ecu chips then its a waste of money & can make the car run worse.

g

lemmingzappa

Avoid those resistors and chips like the plague, they won't be of any benefit.

Sign in to follow this