• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Ignition Amp/module. How Many Pins?

humanz

I've got an ignition amp presently on the car and I suspect it is faulty. It's a Bosch, with a number stamped on it: 0227100123. Is it possible to know if it's 7 pin or 5 pin simply from the code? Don't want to unplug it and check, as I fear I'll create another problem, while the one it has currently isn't a major issue yet....

If I must disconnect the amp to check, how do I get off the connector? Any precautions I should take, either for removal or reinstallation?

Cheers.

munster

Turn the engine off and pull it out.

philfingers

7 I think

they're a bit fiddly, use a very thin bladed screw driver to prise the retainer wire back.

It's a 1900 8v and Mi16 2 row one for sure. Make sure it's earth are all ok. Make swure it's firmly screwed to the ally plate, I think some cars used self tapping screws. Bolts are good. Should be a wee bit of heat sink paste at the back too. If it's not earthed/is insecure it'll give you problems

It'll look like this

post-8636-1252450913_thumb.jpg

humanz
Make sure it's earth are all ok.

Thanks munster and philfingers. Phil, u said to make sure it's earth is ok. It's got a wire attached to one of the retaining screws. Would that be the wire to the earth? The attachment doesn't look very secure but it's held for a little while now so...

Saveit

Should be okay. I also earth some of mine with one of the retainer screws.

philfingers

yes could be, worth making it secure. could give a misfire at high rpm if the earth is bad,

Phil

humanz

I'll take a picture of the connection and u guys tell me what u think. I have a feeling the wire is welded to the screw, as it hasn't dropped off yet, and it doesn't look like much is holding it there.

Bottrill

Did you guys get to the bottom of this?

I have a feeling this ignition module is the root of my starting problems despite it being a solid state part due to the connector being full of water after draining the expansion bottle, maybe shorting or buring it out inside.

Veero

That Bosch part number original is a 6 pin one but I have just sourced a replacement new Bosch one and worryingly it has 7 pins and looks identical to the InterMotor one I just had form my local motor factor which caused a misfire at high revs. I haven't driven the car yet after fitting the new Bosch one. I really hope they haven't changed the design of them.

welshpug

The plug has always been 7 slots with less wires, I have seen 7 pin amps used without issue.

DamirGTI

Either one will do just fine 6 or 7 pin amp no matter really B) additional pin No. 7 is just "tacho out" signal , which is unused on Jetronic/Montronic management ..

What ever you do , stay clear off the Intermotor electrics :rolleyes:

Damir :huh:

Veero

Ah ok that's reassuring. I have a pile of suspect old Bosch ones and they're all 6 pin, just the new one is 7.

Bottrill

I have just ordered a new Bosch Ignition module from Andrew Page motor facotrs. The Bosch item was about £20 more (£60 inc VAT) than the Intermotor part but seems worth it going by the comments on here. Peugeot want about £100.

Lee.

Edited by Bottrill

humanz

Haven't replaced the ignition amp/module yet. Been working my way there. Replaced the plugs, replaced the plug leads yesterday. Will replace the coil next, then the ignition module. Here are the pics of the suspect earth I had promised. Hasn't fallen off yet, so I figure it's been welded to the screw..

post-7319-1261218865_thumb.jpg

And here's the same screw and ground from another angle.

post-7319-1261218888_thumb.jpg

Veero

For reference the brand new genuine Bosch one with the SAME part number as the old original ones exhibits the exact same misfire under load as the Intermotor one. Seems to me like Bosch changed the part and Intermotor have copied. How the hell do we buy new correct ignition amps now?!!!?

I've put back in one of my suspect old ones now for the MOT on Tuesday. I just hope it gets me there and passes :angry:

mr_exe
What ever you do , stay clear off the Intermotor electrics :(

Damir :lol:

I totally agree with that

Miles

The coil wiring looks like it's got HOT as well

You really need the old Blue amp's, I;ve found that these are the only one that work well, But I did have a 205 a few months ago that wouldn;t run on a Bosch one but was fine on a Intermotor one :blush:

changingman

mmmmm,sorry to drag an old post back up but i justy got my 205 mi16 running with an amp from unipart part number gim 5001 when the bosch one died the other day and it ticks over lovely,runs on two cylinders sort of up till 3000rpm then takes off likes its supercharged and throws you all over the road with the power delivery.

Now i know this isnt right,could this be down to the amp as its got 7 pins,the old one had 6 but the plug leading into the loom only has space for 5 pins???

This is driving me crazy now as i changes the coil and crank sensor before i narrowed it down to the amp.

Thanks people.

Liam

welshpug

I would think that is more a fuelling issue than ignition, given its a single coil not a wasted spark, and that it clears with more revs.

changingman

I would think that is more a fuelling issue than ignition, given its a single coil not a wasted spark, and that it clears with more revs.

I swaped the relays around just behind the drivers light and it made no difference.

The thing thats puzzling me most is before the amp died it drove perfect throughout the rev range until the bosch amp died and i replaced it??

welshpug

by fuelling, the main culprit would be the AFM.

changingman

And would this have gone wrong by me changing the amp then or could i have joted it whilst removing coil or something??

changingman

what about chipping the afm???

pug_ham

Are you running on carbs or standard Mi16 injection?

what about chipping the afm???

You can't "chip" the AFM.

If its only running on two cylinders, have you pushed a pin back in the ignition amp plug which excites & jumps the gap when the revs build up?

The standard Bosch amp mentioned earlier in this topic has six pins, later Pugs need the seven pin amp to work. (MP3.1, 3.2 etc).

Looking at an old jetronic loom I have here, the ignition module plug should have seven spaces but only six pins in the plug.

Have you tried another coil since this issue developed?

g

Sign in to follow this