• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[non_car] New Mini Project

24seven
:D nice picture! Fair play bud, it's coming on nicely!

Henry Yorke

You have got it all wrong Matt. Cal is the bitch in our relationship, though we may have room for one more considering you have those nifty gloves now! :D

I am just waiting for this thread to expand to:

I wondered what would happen to my Sunday roast times if I fed my welding gas into the cylinder instead of sand and I discovered I could half the cooking time on leg of lamb. Sairah was most please and said it made all those hours in the shed worthwhile. Next I am planning a trip to see if I can sail over the Niagra Falls in it with a supercharged Flymo engine

B)

M@tt

I managed to pretty much finish the cabinet today,it needs some tidying up of some of the sealant as i didn't have a proper nozzel to squeeze it out with so it went everywhere and i smoothed it by hand. But i'll sand it off once its cured properly.

I also just need a couple of large jubille clips/bands to secure the gaunlets to the metal ducts

I'm pretty happy with it all though :)

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

Goliath

WOW! Nice work :) I bet that will be well used, I think I would blast everything I could get my hands on if I had one of these!

jimistdt

Looking great Matt. Have you sussed out how you are recirculating the ballast yet? Will you need a vacuum for instance? Or will it all be powered by the compresser?

miamichris

what sandblaster are you using mate?

dodsworth_gti

that is brilliant!!!!

might have to be making one now :blink:

M@tt

I've just about finished the cabinet, i'm just sorting the last couple of touches and then hopefully i'll be able to give it a whirl over the weekend

I've just utilised an old 205 8v airfilter to allow air to escape from the cabinet without blowing blast media everywhere

SNC00574.jpg

SNC00575.jpg

I've dumped the filter housing in my elecrolysis tank to derust it and once thats done i'll weld it to the tank before giving it all a coat of paint.

and as a final touch i've added a small shaving light to the inside so that i can see what the hell i'm doing in there :wub:

SNC00576.jpg

oh and to presrve the persex window i've bought some clear florists cellophane off ebay of about £5 so that i can put a sheet infront of the perspexx so that it takes the brunt of any rebounding media

thats about it, one sandblasting cabinet for less than £50 :(

allye

Amazing little project, wish i had the time/skill to make one! start charging people for use of it now? :) haha

Nice work

Ali

Daviewonder

I cant believe ive only just found this thread, I would have liked to have followed this from the start. Great little project though, should come in very useful.

M@tt

having had a bit of a bash the other weekend with the cabinet i found the syphon gun not brilliant at sucking up the blast media so i decided to build myself a pressure blast pot as well.

The idea of the pot is that you fill it full of blast media it is then pressurised by compressed air and feeds the media/grit direct into the blasting air stream

so i used an old calor gas bottle and a load of 3/8" bsp fittings. I've not quite finished it but should be within the next couple of days once the remainder of the bits I've ordered arrive

this is what one looks like

attachment.jpg

and here a few pics of my effort so far, once its complete I'll post up a complete list of parts used

SANY0141.jpg

SANY0142.jpg

SANY0143.jpg

Edited by M@tt

Tom Fenton

Matt don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit worried about that. The amount of stored energy in a pressure receiver like that is massive, if those welds have not penetrated well then that really is just a missile waiting to launch itself at you/the mrs/next door neighbours.

At work I have quite a bit to do with pressure systems and that really does worry me mate.

Are those sockets you have welded on steel or malleable iron? Either way the welding doesn't look that great (sorry). If you get some proper steel fittings and grind it back I will take it to work and get a class A certified welder to weld them on properly for you.

M@tt

the're stainless steel fittings and although not the prettiest the welds have penetrated well and i'll pressure test it once its done with water :lol:

Richie-Van-GTi

Looks like a great project but my only concern would be that 2 months down the line of using it you will want to do some wheels and realise its just not big enough!.

I considered making my workbench into a blast cabinet so it wouldnt take up any extra room in the garage and could be used for storage when not used for blasting by having an opening front. Would mean a simple hinged worktop and fittings such as gloves and pipes etc that clip out of the way when not in use. Need to do other stuff first though.

Paulmac19

Last time i seen one of these it was on the Dam Busters Movie

looks great let us know how effective it is when you get it up and running

oz.

I think i watched the progress of this over on the mig welding forum... Looks nice :D

Bigtimmy

I love it...it's great, so much so that we are building one today in the shed at work.

Been to the local builders merchants, got some drainage fittings, gloves and a couple of hinges.

Chopped up an old oil drum, found some perspex, made a wooden door at one end of the drum (ours was a sealed type drum), raped a workmate for the stand and bish bash bosh we'll be blasting in no time!

Such a simple idea. I'm hoping to shot blast a set of wheels (not all at once!) and some other bits that I have lying around then sort them out and make them shiny!

Good times!

M@tt

small final update

Having given the cabinet and pressure pot a tentative go the other weekend it became impossble to see anything in the cabinet after about a minute so I upgraded the light inside the cabinet to one of those 150w mini security spotlights that are about £4 from Wilkinsons. I also used my old hoover connected up to the outlet on the air filter to suck the dusty air out meaning i could actually see what was goin on in there.

I also sealed up the airfilter fitting as i found it was leaking and blowing dust everywhere and also fitted a bit of hose round the blast hose to create an airtight seal as well

SANY0162.jpg

SANY0163.jpg

anyway it all works and absolute treat :D

A minute or so in the cabinet and this old manky top mount cam up looking like this :lol:

SANY0159.jpg

SANY0160.jpg

jobs a goodun!!

Henry Yorke

I'll be round with some wheels then!! Good effort M@tt

Rippthrough

The buggy needs the frame sandblasting M@tt, better make it a bit bigger...

CHRISWB

hi great project.

l am going to build myself one of these cabinets myself, was just wondering if you had a list of parts?

also l'm not too sure how the pressure blast pot works how does the blast once used get back into the prssure pot?

thanks chris

M@tt

No list of parts yet mate i'm afraid, if i get 5 i'll try and come up with them. All the fittings for the pressure pot came off ebay so if you search for 3/8" BSP you'll find pretty much what you want/need

The cabinet is very straight forward, you can prety much see from the pics everything that i used

the pressure pot has a filling hole in the top which you unscrew the bung from and pour the media in there (obvioulsy depressurise it first :()

SANY0161.jpg

Edited by M@tt

haro09

hi, good works, look ! this is mine,i have built it last month, thanks for idea :)

photo0007bg.jpg

photo0008dl.jpg

photo0009wf.jpg

M@tt

good work :wacko:

nice use of a 205 boot seal as well !!!